• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will i still get freeview if i cancel my sky
  • turneround

we never watch the damn thing, if i cancel my subs to sky will we still be able to get freeview through the dish via the box or do we have to buy another box thing
    cheers

ton

no, you will get whatever channels are free to air on sky.
    these are not as much as you get on freesat.

uplink
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by freeview

BBC1 etc – yes

More4, E4 etc. – no

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

You do get E4, can't remember about more 4. You don't get challenge, dave, living or some of the other channels you get from 'normal' freeview.

l45key
    Free Member

Funnily enough been looking into this today, to get the full range of freeview channels you need to buy a freesat card from Sky for £20.

Unfortunately the Sky + box won't work as a PVR anymore with this card, you still have to subscribe.

allthepies
    Free Member

Freeview is only via an aerial, Freesat is via a dish.

ade
    Free Member

I'm fed up with giving any more money to Murdoch, so I'm cancelling my Sky sub too. If you want to keep the sky box, as l45key said, you need to pay £25 for a viewing card that allows you to watch free-to-air channels: http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/faqs-freesat.aspx#q3

If you want to keep the Sky+ functionality, you'll need to pay Sky £10 a month.

Alternatively, keep the dish and wires, ditch the box and get a Freesat box from Humax that does all the same stuff. http://www.freesat.co.uk/

I'm looking at replacing my Sky+HD box with the Humax HD PVR that's £200-250. Plugs straight in, does the same stuff and will pay for itself in about a year.

hels
    Free Member

It depends where you live – I have a free (well it was then) BT Vision Box so I get the freeview channels that they have bothered to broadcast in my Digital TV only region. So not many. I think of it as "council tele". But I can record series like a tivo, so really it's "council plus".

andytherocketeer

😯 @ £25 for a card and £10/month to continue using $ky+ box for freesat/freesatfromsky channels. With numbers like that, cancel, go to leccy store and by a Freesat PVR and plug it in to the same LNB cable(s). Plus when you cancel, Murdoch and co. come grovelling with some special offers which may be enticing.

My "el-cheapo" 40€ sat box from aldi can happily receive all BBC, ITV, C4/More4/E4/Film4, Five (just none of the red button nonsense).

nbt

If you want to keep the Sky+ functionality, you'll need to pay Sky £10 a month.

😯 👿

Grrrr, wish I'd known that before I signed up to sky. Plan was to stay with them for 12 months then have a free PVR. *slaps self for not checking more thoroughly*

tron
    Free Member

Just get a Freeview PVR. We get enough telly to ensure that there's always something that we want to watch.

My experience of Sky at friend's houses is that they get a lot more telly, but it's almost all dross – low production value documentaries.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will i still get freeview if i cancel my sky’ is closed to new replies.