Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • will an 11sp cassette fit a 9/10sp freehub?
  • breninbeener

Sorry if this is a dull question. I have a rear road hub that takes 10sp with a spacer. I think this is because 10sp is actually narrower that 9sp….so will an 11sp cassette just slip on? With or without a spacer? If im makes a difference its all Shimano kit. Thanks

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

As I understand 8/9/10 are all pretty much compatible but 11sp is a universe on it’s own. Come on, this is the bike industry we’re talking about here! Gotta move those units somehow!

STATO
    Free Member

Basically no, the 11th sprocket is wider than the spacer you have. Some wheels can be modified or freehubs replaced to fit an 11 cassette, most cant. What wheel is it?

sssimon
    Free Member

sounds like a mavic with a spacer, 11 speed will fit. 8/9/10 road are same width (or very very close). Mavic somehow have pre-empted 11 speed by making their cassette bodies wider for years before 11 speed was even a thing

breninbeener

Its a Gipiemme hub in an older carbon tub rim. I will see if its possible to buy an 11sp freehub. Thanks for you help. Damn the bike industry and their BS ‘evolving’ standards

unklehomered
    Free Member

Have 11 speed hub bodies settled down to any one standard yet? I’m thinking of adding a sprocket to my drive chain too.

breninbeener

Argh…i may be wrong about it having a spacer! I will check. I have sent Gipiemme an email. Planet X seem to be selling some of their stuff so i may make an enquiry there too, unless anyone knows an importer/distributor?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m running a 11 speed cassette with one taken out on a 10 speed freehub

simondbarnes

Have 11 speed hub bodies settled down to any one standard yet?

Standard for what? Fitting to the hub? Fitting to the cassette? Road? Mtb?

unklehomered
    Free Member

In mtb, is there ‘a’ 11 speed hub standard, and any 11speed cassette will fit it?

I’ve not been paying attention for well over a year but suddenly find I’m changing a bike.

ferrals
    Free Member

no for mtb, shimano 11sp fits standard 10sp hub, sram 11sp needs xd driver

simondbarnes

What ferrals said.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you don’t get any where its easy for some with a lathe to take a bit off the stops. Not all free hubs but some.

unklehomered
    Free Member

shimano 11sp fits standard…

Sold!

STATO
    Free Member

breninbeener – Member

Its a Gipiemme hub in an older carbon tub rim. I will see if its possible to buy an 11sp freehub. Thanks for you help.

If you cant get a shimano 11 freehub and you really want to keep the wheel, many people buy a campag freehub and fit an 11 speed campag cassette as those are the same width. Shifting is reported to be as good as a proper set-up.

Damn the bike industry and their BS ‘evolving’ standards

You are the one wanting to upgrade, just stick 10 speed 😉

breninbeener

@ferals……have i misunderstood? Are you saying for the road, and 11sp cassette will fit my freehub that currently has a 10sp cassette on it?

STATO
    Free Member

ferals was responding to unklehomered about mtb standards. where 9/10/11 shimano cassettes all fit the same.

For road 9/10 were ok (10 with spacer), 11 is wider.

breninbeener

Thanks, sorry to have misunderstood and clutched at a straw! I have emailed Gipiemme and UK importer to see if there is an 11sp freehub available. Thanks everyone for your help 🙂

dovebiker

You can machine a 10 speed Shimano road freehub to fit 11-speed – that’s what my mates have done. Fortunately, I’m running Campagnolo on my road bikes.

tymbian
    Free Member

Apologies for the thread-jack..
    I’m after a new wheel-build and wanted to eventually run 11sp (with Shark expander) but was hoping to use my existing sram 10sp until I can upgrade..from what I take from this thread is that it can’t be done or can you keep hubs and swap xd adapters or whatever..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

MTB 11spd cassettes will fit a 8/9/10 speed freehub (what the OP has)

road 11spd cassettes won’t fit a 8/9/10 speed freehub (unless you machine them)

any more questions?

tymbian
    Free Member

Nope. All sorted Mr gasket..thanks.
    Sorry to of bothered you.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘will an 11sp cassette fit a 9/10sp freehub?’ is closed to new replies.