Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Will a hybrid be ok for the Lake District?
  • quartz
    Free Member

So I have agreed to join a group of friens for a few days cycling in the Lakes. The riding has been described as ‘fairly easy off road tracks’. A bit of googling suggests that there is a lot of far more challenging tracks in that area. I don’t doubt the organiser’s assurance it won’t be too mental, but as the only person without a proper mopuntain bike, I’m a bit concerned I might be a bit out of my depth. All the others have suspension and wide tyres. My bike is a Pinnacle hybrid, it’s great for commuting and dirt tracks, but will it be any good for the Lakes? I have neither the time not money to go and buy a new bike just for this trip, and I’m considering giving this trip a miss, if it will be too challenging for me. Has anyone got any advice on what sort of terrain i should expect there? thanks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It depends where and which tracks. Fairly easy off road traks suggests fire roads and the like, for which your hybrid will be ok.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ask them what routes they are doing as that is the deciding factor

Some tracks will not be suitable for a hybrid [ helvellyn] and some will just [ high street with the right tyres [ did i just say that]

grum
    Free Member

Soon every bridleway in the Lakes will be suitable for a hybrid.

High Street isn’t suitable for any bike though.

jekkyl

you could probably ride helvellyn on a hybrid though, you might end up walking more than riding though. Op you’ve been offered a trip up the lakes with friends, there is likely to be drinking and eating involved so get yourself there. Surely the chap organising knows you’ve only got a hybrid?

grum
    Free Member

Yeah you should defo go anyway. Could you not hire a bike once you’re there if you’re doing a more challenging day? I can’t see you managing a few days of off road in the Lakes without doing some stuff where a hybrid might be a bit of a struggle, but I’m sure you’ll survive.

quartz
    Free Member

Such quick responses, thanks.

The organiser has sold it as an ‘easy, relaxing holiday’ involving pub stops and food. But he’s quite ‘hardcore’ and does a lot of extreme mountain biking trips. So I’m a bit worried that his version of ‘easy’ might not be the same as mine!

grum
    Free Member

Crazy idea I know, but have you asked him if a hybrid will be ok on the routes he’s planning? 🙂

Can he lend you a better bike? Sounds like a great trip anyway – do it!

hels
    Free Member

Here is an idea. If your friend reckons it will be OK for a hybrid, he should ride your bike and you ride his. Problem solved !

Edric64
    Free Member

If you can do the 3 peaks on a cross bike surely the lakes are ok on a hybrid ?.Just put fat tyres on.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

hels has it.. 😉

Seriously though, it depends where you are riding, if its all fire roads and back lanes then you will be fine..

quartz
    Free Member

I don’t think we’ll be going up Helveyllen or anything like that. What I’m really concerned about is that I’ll struggle on my bike, and hold the others up. The most demanding riding I’ve done has been on the South Downs Way, and it was only really difficult in a couple of places. I imagine that’s the kind of thing we’re likely to encounter, but I don’t know the Lakes. Can’t really borrow a bike as the guy’s someting like 8 foot tall.

crazy-legs

Can’t really borrow a bike as the guy’s someting like 8 foot tall.

Keswick Mountain Bikes and Wheelbase (Staveley) both hire MTBs as does Whinlatter.

I’ve done various BWs (and possibly FPs 😳 ) in the Lakes on my CX bike, can’t imagine a hybrid would be *that* much of a disadvantage.

But it depends on the trails – if you’re descending Rosthwait then no, it’d be way out of its depth, if you’re bimbling along the fireroads in Grizedale it’ll be absolutely fine.

antigee

just checked my old lakes guide book and you will def’ need some of this

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Pipe-Insulation/invt/210012

hora
    Free Member

Hire a bike

takisawa2

Bigger tyres.
    Wilkos/Tesco/Asda etc, all do “mtb” tyres for less than £10.
    Now, this lot on here will shudder at the thought of a tyre for less then £40 but your just after a bit more volume.

neilthewheel

just checked my old lakes guide book and you will def’ need some of this

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Pipe-Insulation/invt/210012

😆 You can leave your helmet at home but don’t forget your running shorts.
    Seriously though, isn’t a hybrid just a 29er with skinny tyres?

grum
    Free Member

A hybrid probably isn’t that different to what people used to ride in the Lakes, though presumably with pretty skinny tyres. Trouble is though if everyone else is on suspension bikes it might feel quite frustrating.

andyl
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    Bigger tyres.
    Wilkos/Tesco/Asda etc, all do “mtb” tyres for less than £10.
    Now, this lot on here will shudder at the thought of a tyre for less then £40 but your just after a bit more volume.

^this, kind of.

Take a look at On One Smorgasbord tyres. Running the dual compound on my 29er and really rate them. Bit heavy but the volume and grip are great.

I don’t know if this is a mistake but for some reason the folding bead single compound are cheaper than the wired ones: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X225/on_one_smorgasbord_26x225_tyre

Folding bead should be lighter and single compound should be fine but dual will give you more grip at the edges for a fiver more per set.

Only problem you might have is your wheel rim width on such a large tyre.

quartz
    Free Member

I’ve had a chat about my ‘concerns’ with the guy organising the trip. He assures me that it will be fine, and that we won’t be doing any ‘extreme’ stuff. I sent him a link to this thread and he said he found it quite amusing, and that most of the trails in the Lakes are ‘fairly easy’. I’m still just a bit concerned as to his definition of ‘fairly easy’ though.

I’ve walked up Helveyllen, and whilst I’m sure it’s possible to ride up, I’m not sure I’d want to, given the numbers of walkers up there.

molgrips
    Free Member

IIRC there are loads of rocky but well build ‘roads’ in the Lakes, there was apparently a riding ‘scene’ in the 20s and 30s and people in tweed suits and plus 4s rode them on grandad bikes. I certainly remember seeing some of these roads last time I was there, they go over passes, but I can’t remember which ones 🙂

vinnyeh

You’ll be right if the organiser says itll be fine, check out some of the bikes the RSF use

quartz
    Free Member

That looks about right, but perhaps without some of the more ‘alpine’ bits! I’m hoping there won’t be snow up there. But the ‘bunch of middle aged blokes on bikes ambling about’ image is spot on for our group!

BadlyWiredDog

Why not take your hybrid, see how it goes on day one and, if you feel utterly out-gunned, you could always hire a mountain bike for the rest of the trip?

hora
    Free Member

Isn’t a Hybrid just a 29’er with non-disc brakes 😉 😆

quartz
    Free Member

Has anyone got any pictures of trails in the Lakes? to give me a better idea of what to expect?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Will a hybrid be ok for the Lake District?’ is closed to new replies.