Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Will a hotel tell us to do one if we book a double and turn up with a baby?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m trying to book a hotel in London town for a function my sister is having. The room is for a Sunday night so prices aren’t too crazy, seeing as it’s a four-star and looks quite swish.

Anyway, booking direct with the hotel, and putting in 2 x adults + 1 x infant, it’s only giving me the option of a triple room. These rooms have one double bed and one single bed. Obviously as dd will only be 18 weeks old, that single bed won’t be used – he’ll be in his carry-cot thingy from his buggy. The hotel website is offering an advance room only rate of £105 or a B&B rate of £146 (flippin’ £20 for breakfast 🙄 ) I’d normally be quite happy to go room only but when you’ve got the nipper, not having to go out for breakfast would be nice.

If I go and search on Trivago (which doesn’t yet have a function to search for groups/children), and select a double room, I’m being offered B&B in a swish double for around £100 or B&B in a standard room for £85.

So, do I take the risk of booking the double and turning up with dd, doing the “Ah sure now jaysus, I didn’t realise we’d need a triple room.” in my thickest Oirish accent?

Drac

scotroutes

Phone them?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Phoning them means they’ll probably stick me in a triple and fleece me. 😐

Booking and showing up and doing a small song and dance when I don’t get my way might give better results. 🙂

IHN

Phone ’em, or just turn up. You don’t need an extra bed, so you don’t need to pay for an extra bed, and I’m sure they’ll be fine (especially as MiniDarcey is still at teeny-tiny cute ickle baby stage).

djglover
    Free Member

Just book for one, check in alone and then get the others.

Drac

Based on experience a phonecall meant we didn’t have to pay for a triple. Turning up the last minute making demands just makes you look like a tool when all you had to do was check.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok – As an ex Hotel Manager – Iwoudl not be charging you for a triple nor insist that you take one. You may however prefer the extra space that the baby entourage needs, cots etc.

Call them and aks nicely. Don’t pay for the kids breakfast.

vinnyeh

We’ve never done it. Always booked a double with the kids as toddlers- not like we can give them their own room. (Almost) all hotels have cots and foldaway beds. Don’t normally get asked how many occupants at checkin anyway

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ones round here wouldn’t charge you extra, unless you were renting a cot etc, maybe. But that’s the dales, not that there Lun-Dun

I would phone them, good ones will have some facilities availbale if they know in advance you have a baby. Assume by baby we’re talking under say 18months.

If you want to get the lie of the land phone a couple that you’re probably not going to stay with to see what the standard is… if there is one.

hora
    Free Member

As above- I tried booking a berth on the Hull-Rotterdam ferry and the prices were 8O. Phoned and explained and it was fine.

avdave2

Babies are pretty easy to hide in a suitcase.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Babies are pretty easy to hide in a suitcase.

The last one we had was anyway. British Airways lost him though and we haven’t seen him since. 🙁

hels
    Free Member

Depends – is it your baby ?

binners

Its nearly stopped snowing. He’ll be fine outside….

tonyd

It never even occurred to us when we did this. Just book it and add a note (or call) saying that you’re bringing a baby. Most hotels (in my limited experience) will provide you with a travel cot free of charge also.

antieverything
    Free Member

Me and my wife got binned off from a hotel in York because we had our 18 month old son with us. The owner said her insurance wouldn’t cover us and left us walking around Yorkk city center looking for somewhere to stay at 8 o’clock at night in the rain.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve done it loads and loads – hundreds of nights in fact, since they travelled with me for work when our youngest was a baby. Never had anyone bat an eyelid.

As toddlers now it’s a little more difficult (although we did it several times with baby and toddler), we need a family room, but with a baby we often never mentioned it. When they saw us check in with a baby all they did was offer us a cot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh well, I phoned them and said we would be booking a double room + breakfast through Trivago and could they match it? They couldn’t match it.

“Oh and we’ll be bringing a baby.”
    “That’s fine sir, we’ll stick a cot in the room for you.”

🙂

Sandwich

Antieverything name and shame?

molgrips
    Free Member

How about a name and fame also?

Drac

“Oh and we’ll be bringing a baby.”
    “That’s fine sir, we’ll stick a cot in the room for you.”

There you go and no standing in the foyer uttering “this is an outrage” needed.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Just turn up, tell them your name’s Mr and Mrs Christ, you don’t actually know where the child came from and the stable will do nicely, thanks

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There you go and no standing in the foyer uttering “this is an outrage” needed.

Oh do one Drac you grumpy arse.

I had never planned on uttering “this is an outrage” in the foyer FFS.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Will a hotel tell us to do one if we book a double and turn up with a baby?’ is closed to new replies.