Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Will a hamster trigger a pir alarm?
  • Pook

We’re looking after a hamster for a week. Not wanting it’s infernal scratching keeping us awake, I want it downstairs, but we’re alarmed to the nines with PIR sensors and the like.

Will it trigger them?

robbo1234biking

I doubt it. Our cat doesn’t set ours of

andrewh
    Free Member

Hedgehogs can trigger security lights. They are bigger than a your hamster but smaller than robbo’s cat to state the obvious.

Maybe teach it to attack burglars and then switch the alarm off?

drnosh
    Free Member

Just lay a tea towel over the cage overnight. PIR will not see heat/movement.

avdave2

Surely you don’t need to set the alarm while you’re protected by a hamster.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just lay a tea towel over the cage overnight. PIR will not see heat/movement.

And this  is why the police have never been able to catch  the notorious Nativity Play Burglar

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Ours didn’t.  He’s gone now to hammy heaven….☹️

JohnnyPanic

Bloody spiders occasionally set my garage PIR off by walking across it!

nickjb
    Free Member

I get spiders setting my garage one off too. Updated to a smart camera which is much better but still gets fooled. As for the op, can’t see it being an issue if you put the cage in the right place.

timba
    Free Member

PIRs detect movement across the beam most effectively. Put the cage directly below the sensor and you should minimise the amount of beam to move through, if it covers that area at all

Some PIRs have a pet setting where you open the enclosure and move the innards so that it can’t “see” low height movement

BadlyWiredDog

It’s not worth taking chances. Immobilise the hamster overnight either using a powerful tranquilliser or by feeding it malt whisky. Don’t attempt to restrain it physically, hamsters have Houdini-like qualities and will assuredly escape and attempt to wreak a terrible revenge on you.

Pook

Right then, I covered the cage with an MBUK and a towel.

The PIR didn’t go off.

The bloody hamster ate the MBUK and the towel.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

My rats don’t set mine off, it might be a different story if they are loose around the house but just generally hanging out in the cage they don’t.

Oh and you will probably find a hole in that tea towel later, they love to turn fabrics into bedding material.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bloody spiders occasionally set my garage PIR off by walking across it!

The hamster is in a cage so it will be unable to reach the PIR.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Will a hamster trigger a pir alarm?’ is closed to new replies.