Will a camelbak mule hold a DSLR?

Home Forum Bike Forum Will a camelbak mule hold a DSLR?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Will a camelbak mule hold a DSLR?
  • Surfr

Can’t get a 30D into mine. Nowhere near.

happysnapper

If you did get it in it would probably dig into your back. Next size up would probably be better, or a Dakine Nomad perhaps?

Kramer

Not a chance in the old mule, not sure about the NV model.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I’ve got an old Mule (must be 03) and I’ve had:
    a DSLR, spare lens (70-300mm), folding tripod, plus all my tools and spares AND an extra 2L bladder of water (we were riding in Moab and needed it!)

Admittedly it weighed a fair bit and to get anything out, most of the rest had to be unpacked but it was doable.
    I still use the Mule and it still fits my 350D in with no problems, it’ll take a 40D with a bit of care. Doesn’t dig into the back at all, the bladder cushions it nicely.

I carry mine in my Camelbak HAWG. Most I’ve carried is D300 body, 70-200 lens, 50mm, and SB900 speedlight with all my riding gear.

Kramer

crazy-legs, I’d love to see that. I can just about get spares and tools, a pacamac, and my packed lunch in my mule. I could do with some packing tips.

simondbarnes

I could do with some packing tips.

Smaller packed lunch? My 20D will fit in my MULE without any bother at all.

Kramer

I’m really struggling to imagine this, perhaps I’m doing something wrong with mine?

bomberman

anyone squeeze a canon 400d or similar sized camera into a mule? seriously thinking about buying one. just wondering wether it’ll fit in my rucksack

PikeBN14

D80 goes in mine no probs with lots of other stuff and lots of water

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I’m really struggling to imagine this, perhaps I’m doing something wrong with mine?

Yeah, if you just shove stuff in any old how then it’ll take up loads of room!

Completely empty the pack then fill the bladder and put that in. Then add your stuff into the big pocket, packing waterproofs/clothing etc up really small (use a towstrap if necessary to hold them in a roll). Slide the pump in down the side. Tools/tubes etc go in the smaller pockets, use the mesh backs/key ring holder/inner linings as much as possible. Anything delicate like sandwiches or bananas go on top. Camera goes in the main pocket or, best bet if you need to get at it quickly, is to use a chest pack like SFB does, it carabiners onto the CamelBak.

nbt

I have a 300d, it goes fine in an ’06 HAWG in it’s lowepro case. The 400d is significantly smaller than than the 300d, might be ok in a modern MULE if it isn’t ina case of it’s own – I wouldn’t trust it though

bomberman

I wouldnt want the bladder to burst or leak, that’d be a nightmare

user-removed

My Mule must have been the runt of the litter. Once I’ve packed a paclite jacket, a sandwich and my (minimal) tools, there’s no way on God’s green earth I could fit in my D300 (or D200) with even a small prime attatched.

Simples.

Kramer

Same here.

samuri

I have an old mule. I’ve had a 400d in there wrapped in my jacket in there with the stock 18-50 lens no problem. Plenty of room for all the normal stuff I’d carry plus a reasonably full bladder. As above, it’s about getting the hard stuff in before putting the bladder in. And pushing the camera in body first. It wasn’t comfy though, it must be admitted.

Surfr

user-removed, you are not alone. I have an ’09 MULE like so:

Are you guys taking the lens off of the body on your proper size cameras (toy 3xxD,4xxD and 5xxD need not apply).

jackthedog

I struggle to get two downhill tubes in my ’09 Mule once the bladder’s full.

PikeBN14

If my D80 wasn’t at my GF’s I’d take a picture of it in there, lens on wrapped in a T shirt or such like, not in a camera bag!

I can get my D300 with 18-200 attached, 11-16 in a bag and an SB800 speedlight in my Blowfish alongside normal tools and a waterproof in the helmet netting.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Will a camelbak mule hold a DSLR?’ is closed to new replies.