Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • will a 9 speed cassette work as 10 speed?
  • ton

if I were to fit a 9 speed cassette, say 12/36, and fitted a 11 tooth sprocket as a extra ring, would it work?

with 10 speed shifters and mech.

Rich
    Free Member

No.

welshfarmer

To expand on the technically correct answer above. A 9 speed cassette and a ten speed cassette both fill a freehub body completely. ie. they are the same width. The distance between the 9 speed gears is ever so slightly wider than on a 10 speed cassette (hence why 10 speed chains need thinner side plates than 9 speed ones. The result of this is naturally that there is absolutely no room on the freehub body for an extra gear if running a 9 speed cassette.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Does that mean that in the future I can upgrade my old 2005 Enduro from the current 3×9 setup to a 2×10 or even 1×10 just by swapping to a 10 speed casette,mech & chain?

sillyoldman

Bustaspoke – yes. Shimano 11 speed would also fit.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for that,it’s something to keep in mind for the future.

mangoridebike

Is that right?

A shimano 11 speed cassette will fit on a 9 speed freehub?

That would make things a bit easier

wiggles
    Free Member

MTB yes, shimano road 11 speed is different.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, as per Wiggles. Shimano 11 speed MTB (not their road, nor SRAM 11 speed) will fit on an 8/9/10 speed freehub body.

Ton, your idea won’t work though. The only permutation that would work on is a 7/8 speed cassette where spacing is the same.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Do you need a 10sp rear cassette or have you got one?

ton

i need a wide range 10 speed cassette.

scaredypants

there are wide range 10sp cassettes aren’t there ?

aracer
    Free Member

No it’s not. But it’s close enough that it tends to work reasonably well if you adjust it right (at least using an 8 speed cassette with 7 speed shifters where you’re overshifting – I had this for a while with DT shifters where you get an extra un-indexed shift, but it wasn’t perfect)

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’ve got a 13 – 40 had minimal use, it’s got a Hope expander at one end and 13T at the other, I dropped the little one off in favour of having no big step up in the range which worked for me.

Also got X2 SRAM chains that I ran it with both had same use, come to think of it I’ve got rear XT mech and the shifter.

Maybe I should put it in the FS section?

chrishc777
    Free Member

^^ But is the point of an expander not to expand your gear range? Surely all you’ve done is move your range up a bit, you could have acheived the same by simply buying a smaller chainring

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

^ But is the point of an expander not to expand your gear range? Surely all you’ve done is move your range up a bit, you could have acheived the same by simply buying a smaller chainring

Precisely, but that’s no on trend is it? People would rather move a chainring into the middle of their back wheels……

ton

this is for a 10 speed cross bike to be used for long road rides.
    i have plenty of 9 speed stuff laying about. i did not want to go the the expense of a extender

sillyoldman

There’s a new 11-34 10 speed road cassette due in to Madison next week. HG500/Tiagra level, so pretty cheap too at £29.99 RRP. Just need to check whether your mech will cope with a 34T sprocket. I’d imagine you’ll need a new mech (4700 Tiagra GS will work with 34T on a double chainset).

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite, he’s actually made the range narrower 😯

Solo
    Free Member

ton – Member
    this is for a 10 speed cross bike to be used for long road rides.i have plenty of 9 speed stuff laying about. i did not want to go the the expense of a extender

You’ll use the 36 when you need it, same for the 12.

Just ride the 9 as is and use a triple chainset if necessary.
    😉

Tracey

Got a SRAM XX? In the garage 10 speed 36 11its sat doing nothing, you can have it to try for the postage

njee20
    Free Member

That’s very generous Tracey – that’s a £300 cassette…

takisawa2

Or, fit a smaller front ring & use your 9spd kit…
    Very canny move by Shimano, not offering a 36t 9spd.
    (Apart from that 9spd boat anchor thing they brought out).

TheSanityAssassin

Don’t forget there are cheaper alternatives to Shimano/Sram cassettes out there. Check out the Sunrace range, which are all Shimano compatible. I use their cassettes, chains and chainrings and have had no issues whatsoever. The higher spec ones come in a grey/black box under the ‘Driven’ name.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘will a 9 speed cassette work as 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.