Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Will a 26" tube fit a 29" wheel
  • Dogsby

Hello All,

Can I fit a 26″ tube into at 29″ wheel in an emergency? I am doing a bit of MTB leading next month and need to know if I need to invest in 29″ tube or two or can I get away with stretching one that I already have.

Any experience?

Dogsby

avdave2

I’ve had one in for 2 years with no problem.

RustySpanner

I’m doing conversion kits at the mo to modify 26 inch tubes and tyres to the more fashionable sizes:
    You get a section of tube or tyre, a hacksaw and a tube of superglue.

£20 posted and I’ll throw in a valve cap for free.

TiRed

Valve size is more important than tube size. Take one of each variety (presta/schrader). I’ve run 26″ in 24″ wheels in an emergency with no issues, so 29 in 26 or vice versa will be fine.

takisawa2

After 4yrs of clown wheels I’m yet to buy a 29″ tube.
    Keep meaning to, to carry as a spare. Stretching them into place in the garage is ok, but a freezing trailside fix is a different matter.

RustySpanner

Ok, £15, but I’m cutting my own throat……

Dogsby

Rusty, would you do a deal for two?

RustySpanner

You my son are obviously a gent with taste and an eye for a bargain.
    I’ve got some special 29er specific grips and pedals I might, just might be able to let you have as well?

How are you for speaker cable?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

If you’re being paid to guide, I’d spend a fiver and get the right kit. Ime of being a cheapskate, 26 puncture easier in 29 wheels, and if your being paid, I’d be doing what I can to prevent punctures.

Dogsby

Many thanks to you all and it looks like I can manage with the 26″ tubes. It is not a question of the cost of tubes but the weight and space of taking four tubes as opposed to two. Sadly I am not getting paid as it is with work.

Cheers

Dogsby

singlespeedstu

back in the day when you couldn’t get 29er toobes for love nor money we all seemed to survive ok with 26er toobes in there.
    But and it’s a big but. WTF are you doing using toobes anyway?

parkesie
    Free Member

If your taking a lesson or guiding like the op is its good practice to carry a couple of tubes for the inevitable punctures. Even if you tell the people coming to bring things like helmet pump tube multi tool etc someone always forgets it leaves it in the boot or brings a inertube from a wheel barrow.

Dogsby

SSS, I am not using tubes but you can bet that the folk I am taking out will be so I need to be able to fit a tube to all wheel sizes.

Dogsby

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Share the kit out amongst the riders so you don’t have to carry everything.

singlespeedstu

I am not using tubes but you can bet that the folk I am taking out will be so I need to be able to fit a tube to all wheel sizes.

650B toobes then. 😆

I knew there’d be a use for the ladyboy wheelsize eventualy.

Pete-B
    Free Member

Rusty,
    Do you sell tyre knobs – the ones around the centres are worn but those on the edges are ok so I don’t want to replace the complete tyre.
    In future I’ll ride with the bike banked over to even out wear.
    Also..if I buy tires from that America will they fit my bike or should I stick with tyres?

doug_basqueMTB.com

26 will fit 29 but just and in some narrow rims its really hard to get the tyre back on. 29 fits 26 easily. I normally just carry a few 29 tubes of the fattest size I can find.

Ill take a few tyre knobs too if they’re going 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Will a 26" tube fit a 29" wheel’ is closed to new replies.