Will 29er's ultimately exist beside 650b??

Home Forum Bike Forum Will 29er's ultimately exist beside 650b??

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Will 29er's ultimately exist beside 650b??
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I predict 7 pages

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

OK, using my magic crystal ball, there will be three wheel sizes:

26″ at the low end (IIRC Chipps suggested <£500?)
    650b for long travel FS applications
    29″ for everything else.

I am deeply cynical about 650b as (for HT/short travel use) it seems to be being pushed hard by companies who missed the 29er boat, and 1″ bigger wheels will not make that much difference. However, I think it may have a place.

29ers now too well established to revert to niche and market grew fairly organically over 10 years, and there are huge numbers of 26″ wheeled bikes out there.

I predict 7 pages

Where are pussywillow and bwaarp when you need them? 😛

A designer for cube said in a mag interview recently that the ground upto 140mm to about 150mm will be 29er and the longer travel bikes will battle it out between 26″ and 650b. In another article I read a few months back the chief designer for Norco reckoned it will be 650b for long travel bikes and small people and 29ers for short and medium travel bikes.

Who knows? I can’t get too excited boy it any more. I’ve gone to 29″ and noticed absolutely no downsides whatsoever for the type of riding I do. (Typical all mountain and singletrack stuff with small jumps and drops). Only benefits, though they’re not significant benefits, just overall improvements.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Fed up with the wheel size debate. sun is shining, I’m off out for a ride on some 26″ wheels 🙂

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

I predict a riot.

Pointless thread, pointless debate.

Change title to:

“Can Robinson’s Summer Fruits exist along side Ribena, and what about the double-concentrate bottles?”

qwerty

I’m all for a middle ground… 69er and 650 tubes!

You’ll never get me on ‘wishy washy’ wheels.
    29 and 26 are both great but 650B is for people who can’t make decisions.

I predict 7 pages

It’ll hardly make one. It’s a sunny Saturday so there really can’t be that many people stuck in front of their pcs that care.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

It’ll hardly make one. It’s a sunny Saturday so there really can’t be that many people stuck in front of their pcs that care.

it only takes 2, actually in this place 1.

Dark and cold here so just watching I have my bingo sheet ready to tick.

No more posts from me here then, don’t want to piss on my own bonfire.

Premier Icon S_J
    Subscriber

The editorial in the latest issue of the mag got me thinking about this. If 650b becomes the accepted ‘standard’ mtb wheel size then will we end up with what we essentially had before? A standard wheel size with a niche following of larger wheel sizes? Or will everyone agree that the tweener size ticks all boxes thus rendering all other sizes redundant?? As far as I’m concerned, 29ers exist because they offer something genuinely different to 26 inch wheels. I’m not sure the same cold be said of 650b. I also think its for this reason that 29ers will probably remain in use for specific applications only and are less likely to become mainstream. For everyone that’s fed up of the wheel size debate there’s nothing to see here (chipps started it though!), for everyone else lets have your thoughts..

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

I am deeply cynical about 650b as (for HT/short travel use) it seems to be being pushed hard by companies who missed the 29er boat, and 1″ bigger wheels will not make that much difference. However, I think it may have a place.

Wow, it’s like we were separated at birth! 😉

In all seriousness though, good point well made. 650b is, love it, hate it, or totally indifferent to it, being pushed by marketing men and to be more specific, marketing men working for mainstream companies that feel they obviously missed the 29er boat. The benefits of 650b vs 26″ wheels will be marginal at best (still for some people marginal is plenty good enough to warrant the change), and the benefits of a 29er in many applications will still be quite a bit more obvious.

26″ bikes will not die. Not whilst there’s people under 5ft6 (so a huge proportion of female riders) still riding bikes, and not whilst the millions of existing 26″ wheeled bikes already made still exist. 29ers grew organically and quite slowly, and because of that, they have a very firm footing in the marketplace. 650b is very much an overnight success, it’s going to be a typical boom or bust scenario where either everyone adopts, or not many people do and those that did, end up reverting back to 26″ or to 29er’s.

The other thing bike journo’s need to remember is that for every new “emperors new clothes” bike they ride, there are 10’s if not 100’s of people riding around happily on bikes they bought years ago, and will only replace when they finally die or everything has worn out.

What upsets me most about this is the whole extra wheel size thing plays nicely into the hands of the online retailers when it comes to wheels and tyres, cos not many independent shops I know have got the capital or the space to cope with 3 different diameter wheels for mainstream MTB spares! Remember when 650c front wheels were all the rage in time trialling, but they ended up ditching them on the grounds they offered negligible benefit and it was easier just to have to stock one size of wheel rims and tyres.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

rickon – Member

“Can Robinson’s Summer Fruits exist along side Ribena, and what about the double-concentrate bottles?”

Don’t like double concentrate. Doesn’t mix well, either too weak or too strong.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

My excuse for joining this thread is an injured ankle

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

elderflower cordial and interesting facial hair ?

stand over here please

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

buy liteville.
    mix/match 24,26,650b,29 depending on how big your frame is 🙂

Fed up with the wheel size debate. sun is shining, I’m off out for a ride on some 26″ wheels

Just got back, the sun was shining, but t-storms brewing up I think. 700c wheels – CX ftw.

loddrik

26″ seems pretty good to me.

slackalice

What upsets me most about this is the whole extra wheel size thing….

Bikes.

Bikes = happiness. I would hope, for you. Please consider that you can choose how to react to stuff and that being upset is only one choice of many.

Worse things happen at sea n all that.

Apparently it’s a hot n sunny day everywhere except here in Norfolk. Enjoy riding your bikes, whatever size wheels you have 🙂

JCL

I think 650b and 29″ will exist together and have overlap in travel. The death of 26″ is well underway 🙁

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

elderflower cordial with soda-water here.

lovely after a ride!

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

The death of 26″ is well underway

My death has been well underway from the moment I was born… Almost 33 years later, I’m still alive and struggling on! I will eventually die one day, but hopefully not any time soon…

There are many many millions of MTB’s in the world, still going strong, on 26″ wheels. Even if from tomorrow no 26″ wheeled bikes were ever made again, those already existing will take decades to die off entirely…

loddrik

Once the 29 and 650b market is saturated the marketers will think of something else for the gullible masses to waste their money on. If people are really riding down a trail on their 29 or 650b thinking ‘wow this really is so much better than my old 26″‘ then something really is missing in your life…

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

If Gary Fisher had started with 29 or 650b I feel sure we would now be having the 26 revolution

That’s not even me being cynical. I think we just like evolution

brooess

I think the whole thing stinks. I’m usually well up for innovation but I really don’t see the evidence for this being customer-led – just innovation for the sake of it in a mature market where there’s no more obvious growth so the manufacturers are looking to get us to spend more, having got pretty much everything else sorted…
    If 26 wasn’t suited to MTB, how come we’ve been quite happily using it for 25+ years and no-one’s been offering anything different?
    Disc brakes, yes
    Suspension, yes
    Uppy down post, yes – these are things we always said would be useful but I never remember any kind of debate amongst riders about getting bigger wheels, except maybe the comment that MTBs feel less efficient than 700c…
    If I can’t get spares for my Soul in a few years because ‘the industry’ has decided not to support 26 any longer I’ll be pretty upset…

slackalice

IIRC it was established a few days ago on this forum that rod brakes can still be bought and obtained 😉

I think your investment in 26″ goodies will remain available for many many many years… Or at least, while there are enough people demanding those goodies.

Maybe you could write a letter, expressing your feelings of upset?

GEDA

Bmx’s and trials bikes they have different wheel sizes don’t they? I love my 29er and love my 26er as well for different reasons. Not sure if 650b would be a happy medium or jack of no trades though. Do bigger wheels have more gyroscopic effect or is that more to do with speed?

TooTall

I’m in the US and 26 are still strong, although I’m seeing more people riding 29er than anything else. The 650b thing is starting to grow as well, but 29 has the majority of the floor here.

TooTall

I never remember any kind of debate amongst riders about getting bigger wheels, except maybe the comment that MTBs feel less efficient than 700c…

Those of us beyond the tall end of things thought a ‘scaled up’ bike would be a good thing – for quite some time actually.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

I like a bit of change – it makes things more interesting.

I think we will end up with a coalition between 650 and 29ers; but it will become so unpopular people will go back to 26ers, even though they are rubbish too. 🙂

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

29ers aren’t going away. I suspect 26 is going to get niche-ish

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

(Assuming you mean in the market, not in my bike shed).

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

What about Vimto, where does that fit in?

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

What about Vimto, where does that fit in?

In the bottle on my bike, clearly.

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Vimto’s like the CX half-sister of Ribena. Exciting, but most people just dont get it.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Will 29er's ultimately exist beside 650b??’ is closed to new replies.