Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Will 29" MTB tyres fit on 700c hybrid rims?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Mate of mine has a 2014 Whyte Caledonian hybrid/all terrain thing and fancies joining us for an MTB ride.

He doesn’t want to buy another bike or rent so I’ve come up with the bright idea of adding MTB tyres :$

It’s 700c so am I right in saying a 29″ tyre would fit on the rim?

Also, anyone ever done it to a hybrid and had clearance issues with the bigger tyre and the frame/fork??!

Cheers.

tinribz
    Free Member

Depends how wide (internal) the rims are, 17mm might be a push:

mokl
    Free Member

Maybe do better with a cross tyre?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, they’ll fit. I’ve got the back wheel off a Whyte Malvern in my garage and I’ve just measured it at 0.5mm wider externally than the Mavic 717s on my MTB. They take 2,25in tyres just fine, so whatever fits between the stays of the Whyte will be OK.

bails

By that rim width chart a Mavic 717 couldn’t have any more than a 1.5″ tyre and an Arch Ex would be limited to a 2.0″ tyre. And that’s plainly nonsense.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Balls, yep, agreed. 🙂

singlespeedstu

You’ll be more limited by frame/fork clearance than rim width.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye the rim-width-limitation is a pile of crock, unless running at low pressures.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The fork clearance will be the biggest issue I’d say. Get some 42mm CX tyres link cyclo x kings and you should be fine. 1.65″ of grippy off road tyre

tinribz
    Free Member

Chart is from here: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html. And does say the following underneath:

Note: This chart may err a bit on the side of caution. Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, he will be pleased!!

robdob
    Free Member

There is a lot of stuff on Sheldon Brown which is very useful. It isn’t the bible everyone things it is though, as some stuff is just plain wrong.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, that’s total rubbish

nedrapier

Yup, I’ve had 2.0″ race kings on open pros, 14.5 internal.

But looking at the Alphas now, some are saying that even though the rim is wider, there’s less scope for wide tyres because of the low sidewall.

Any truth in this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The bead is not held by the sidewall though, so id say its nowlt relevant – but I’ve not tried it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Will 29" MTB tyres fit on 700c hybrid rims?’ is closed to new replies.