Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Will 1×10 cure chainsuck?
  • large418
    Free Member

I currently run 3 x 9 on my carbon hardtail, but a few long rides have resulted in a small bit of chainsuck, which has gouged the chainstay. Obviously I don’t want this to happen, so am wondering whether a 1×10 setup with a clutch rear mech will cure chainsuck. (Chainsuck happens on my current setup when the oil all gets washed off and the chain is dirty – it’s not a wear issue as the drivetrain is pretty new).

Anyone have a view on this?
    Ta

Mackem

I think so. – been running 1×10 for about a year, no dropped chains.

Northwind

It should do. But it’s not the only option. Might be worth your time first just to try different, longer lasting chainlubes and also check the chain for damage (chainsuck can twist the plates)

z1ppy

I pushed my 1×10 ring far beyond* what I’d normally expect without a hint of chainsuck, was left very impressed with my clutch mech. Have now moved to 2×10 now, so wondering how it will fair.

* It was still working in that state, but decide I didn’t want it to disintegrate halfway round ride.. & thought I’d got my monies worth.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, but you should get a massive improvement just by removing the largest chainring and a few links of chain – you don’t need to throw away your granny ring too.

large418
    Free Member

Thanks, the longer lasting chainlubes bit – are there any that will last 12 hours plus of wet riding? (this is not an everyday ride, more a very occasional adventure/race type thing!). Chain is OK – I am meticulous about cleaning and checking chains after rides so I am very sure the chain is good. I am hoping the extra tension/shorter cage the clutch mech has will sort it out, plus the front chainring isn’t compromised for easy shifting so I hope it has chainsucking kind of designed out.

large418
    Free Member

Zippy – I had a chainring on my commuter that looked like that – had to change it as the chain started jumping under load. I guess yours was a narrow/very narrow ring not a wide/narrow?

njee20
    Free Member

Impressive z1ppy! The big ring on my winter road bike was heading that way, but I chickened out earlier than you and replaced!

IME yes, my Top Fuel used to suck horrendously in the inner ring in the wet, never had a problem with 1×10, even without a clutch mech.

dantsw13

Worn chainrings were the source of my chain suck – even worse when you put a new chain on.

If you went 1×10 with a full chain guide I reckon you’d be sorted.

z1ppy

Large418.. err std ring that came fitted to the R-13 TRS chainset, not wide/narrow

ahwiles
    Free Member

sorry about that, i had to go before i could properly finish my last post.

just going 2×9 should go a long way to solving the problem, you probably don’t need to buy a load of 10 speed stuff too

of course, you can if you want, but y’know, maybe try the simplest, cheapest things first…

Northwind

large418 – Member

Thanks, the longer lasting chainlubes bit – are there any that will last 12 hours plus of wet riding? (this is not an everyday ride, more a very occasional adventure/race type thing!)

That’s pretty harsh conditions to be fair- I don’t know if what I use will work as well for you as I tend not to ride for that long in a single block but putoline motorbike chain wax has been amazing for me in bad conditions- proper wheel-blocked mud etc on winter enduros where everything else has given up after an hour or so it works all day. It is a pain in the arse to apply though.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Muc off C3 will last for long time in the wet!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Will 1×10 cure chainsuck?’ is closed to new replies.