Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wilko RIP
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Another musical great gone. A master of choppy guitar and stage lunacy

I’m sure they’ll show Oil City confidential on BBC 4 soon, worth checking out

eddiebaby
    Free Member

BUgger!!

duncancallum

Did well considering his diagnosis

What a recognisable sound as well!

b33k34

He was on great form in recent years – caught him post cancer at Glastonbury.

MrSparkle

RIP indeed. What a great band they were. Saw them at Burnley Mechanics in late 80’s.

fingerbang
    Free Member

my favourite song of theirs definitely ‘keep it out of sight’. great riff and even an un-R&B drum solo

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Saw Dr Feelgood (none of the original line up mind) in the Summer. What a sound – totally unique. Was thinking about getting tix for Wilko next year. Rest up big man, your sound & you live on.

Keando

RIP Wilko – a great guitarist.

slowoldman

Noooooooooo.

llama

Never saw Dr F but I’ve got a bit obsessed about those old videos of them. Wilko and Lee are so on it. They look like they are about to kick your teeth in, shag your girlfriend, and steel your car.

desperatebicycle

Ah, wow that’s crap. He beat cancer first time around eh. That documentary around the time was amazing.
    RIP

desperatebicycle
    zilog6128

Was excellently creepy in Game of Thrones as well, despite/because never uttering a word!

MoreCashThanDash

Remarkable man- never having watched it, had no idea about GoT

jimilindley
    Free Member

Sad that he died. I was worried that Wilko had gone into administration.

Edukator
    Free Member

Made the most of his time and then his borrowed time. Celebrate his life, don’t mourn his death.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sad to lose a Canvey Island brother.

RIP

avdave2

I saw him in Brighton at the end of July, he was brilliant. RIP

johnx2
    Free Member

Saw him on a solo tour in ’78 when everything else I saw was punk aftermath or reggae. Fantastic. Other gigs blur but that sticks in the memory. Guitar aside, a man who can successfully glamourise Canvey Island is talented indeed…

RustySpanner

He’s why my first guitar was a Tele.

Genius and all round decent bloke.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh I was getting worried then thinking it was Wilkos the shop !

frankconway

A sad loss but – saw him several times with his long-standing band members Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe; they were never anything less than excellent.
    He’s left a great legacy of recordings – my favourites are Stupidity which was the live album from the Feelgood’s farewell tour and Going Back Home with Roger Daltrey, harmonica and keyboards with a live performance still available on youtube.
    I’ll be playing both later today.

binners

At least he’d made peace with everything a long time ago. If you haven’t watched the Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson, then you really need too. It’s a staggering documentary about a man coming to terms with, then being at ease with his own impending death. A properly life-affirming film!

He was an incredible human being who we could all learn something from

tillydog
    Free Member

Sad. Saw him & Norman in Birkenhed a few years back. Fantastic enterainer.

desperatebicycle

That ^^ one binners posted was the one I meant. Bloody brilliant

fasthaggis

Aye,binners plus lots.
    The Ecstasy of Wilco Johnson is very well done.
    He was a top bloke.

cinnamon_girl

Aw, RIP Wilko. Great performer and player, was lucky to have seen the band twice.

Found this from a few years ago, some good vids:

Dr Feelgood

antigee

First band I saw live and Wilko stole the show ’77 probably…sister worked in record shop and we got free tickets.. for a teen listening to Pink Floyd a real change in perspective….RIP

alanl
    Free Member

I was worried that Wilko had gone into administration

That won’t be long, they are in deep shi-te.

Bunnyhop

As others above I was lucky enough to see them live, Manchester around 1978 (can’t remember) exactly. Once was not enough.

What an amazing man to have been diagnosed with one of the most incurable cancers, then have a good quality of life for a good few years after.

onewheelgood

PSA: BBC Four will be showing Julien Temple’s ‘The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson’ tonight (13/1/2023) at 11pm:

cheese@4p

Thanks for the heads up

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.