Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • wikileaks stuff
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

this has got future Hollywood blockbuster written all over it (although you can bet that it ends with the US Government being painted in a great light).

now the swiss (of all people) are freezing bank accounts (oh, the irony).

whats all that about??!!

wwaswas

wilileaks

you can get a special clamp to help with that.

jon1973
    Free Member

Looks like the founder has been arrested now too. All stinks to high heaven that does.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested

iDave
    Free Member

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/07/wikileaks-us-embassy-cables-live-updates

11.40am: Internet guru Clay Shirky has an interesting post on WikiLeaks and how America’s pursuit of the site opens it up to the charge of hypocrisy:

“The leaders of Myanmar and Belarus, or Thailand and Russia, can now rightly say to us: “You went after WikiLeaks’ domain name, their hosting provider, and even denied your citizens the ability to register protest through donations, all without a warrant and all targeting overseas entities, simply because you decided you don’t like the site. If that’s the way governments get to behave, we can live with that.”

In this context comments by Hillary Clinton (left) in a Foreign Policy article earlier this year are coming back to haunt her:

“On their own, new technologies do not take sides in the struggle for freedom and progress. But the United States does. We stand for a single internet where all of humanity has equal access to knowledge and ideas. And we recognise that the world’s information infrastructure will become what we and others make of it.

This challenge may be new, but our responsibility to help ensure the free exchange of ideas goes back to the birth of our republic. The words of the first amendment to the constitution [guaranteeing freedom of speech] are carved in 50 tons of Tennessee marble on the front of this building. And every generation of Americans has worked to protect the values etched in that stone.”

kimbers
    glenp
    Free Member

The whole thing is so full of outrageous double standards and outright lies it’s hard to know where to start.

How about many, including Sarah Palin, calling for his murder?
    When he hasn’t committed a crime.
    He didn’t solicit or collude with the leaks, merely received them. Just like the rest of the media are receiving them and passing them on.

Shoot the messenger.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Am I the only person in the world who’s finding the wikileaks ‘revelations’ pretty underwhelming – I mean, “diplomat A thinks diplomat B is a bellend, but still has to be civil because he’s being paid to do a job” sounds much like every work environment I’ve ever had experience of.

Given most people on here seem to have a pretty jaded view of politicians anyway, this stuff can’t be rocking your world that much can it?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Interesting that some American politicians have lablelled him a traitor when he is in fact Australian …

The latest “scandal” seems to be that NATO has plans to defend the Baltic States against a possible Russian attack.

Wouldn’t revealing that NATO has no plans to defend the Baltic States be just as bad ?

glenp
    Free Member

It’s the reaction to it that I find pretty incendiary. People seem to think it is perfectly ok to call for his murder, to assume that he has committed a crime, to willfully ignore what these Swedish charges are*, to not even wonder who is conducting “cyber attacks” on WL – etc etc.

*Just consider this one question – why has our media not discussed these sexual assault charges? Not gone into it at all? Just mentioned that they exist and that they are “rape”?

Interesting that some American politicians have lablelled him a traitor when he is in fact Australian

That’s Americans and geography for you.

Lifer
    Free Member

Given most people on here seem to have a pretty jaded view of politicians anyway, this stuff can’t be rocking your world that much can it?

This time no, but the Afghan War Leaks had some pretty damaging stuff.

The Afghan war its self seems pretty damaging.
    Perhaps the people responsible for that should be arrested too.

DrJ

Looks like the founder has been arrested now too.

And for what … ?? some woman’s revenge ??

http://rixstep.com/1/20101001,01.shtml

jon1973
    Free Member

“Julia Gillard [Australian Prime Minister] has been making it virtually impossible for Assange to return to Australia where he is entitled to be. And she has even threatened to cancel his passport.

Cancel his passport? how can she even suggest that? It appauling.

glenp
    Free Member

Nice link, DrJ

The creepy thing is that anyone can find out just how thin these allegations are – but out media persist in briefly and baldly calling it a warrant for arrest for rape, without exploring any further. Now – why would they do that?

Anyone who thinks our media is not in the hands of the government is deluded. Worse – it’s effectively in the hands of America’s government.

roper
    Free Member

Anyone else having problems accessing wikiLeaks?

ourkidsam
    Free Member
    King-ocelot
    Free Member

I was intrested in seeing if the UFO evidence ever gets published. I don’t believe in the whole flying saucer thing myself but im intrested in seeing what information is leeked in that area, using UFO myths to cover prototype technology?

s
    Free Member

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110

😯

glenp
    Free Member

Yes – that’s what we’ve been talking about!

Pembo
    Free Member

He seems to have made provisions for being nobbled by putting out a 1.25GB file encrypted with a 256 bit encryption key which is impossible to break. If anything happens to him the code will be released by someone very close to him and we get to see the contents of the encrypted file. Of course it could be a big bluff.

Jamie
    Free Member

Denied bail and to be held in custody till the 14th?

Insane.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Denied bail

…after voluntarily attending his own arrest for charges that sound like they are straight out of Zimbabwe.

Watch the TV, keep buying heat magazine, don’t ask questions, don’t expect accountability, don’t pay any attention to the man behind the curtain. 👿

Lifer
    Free Member

Denied bail ‘for his own safety’ 😯 and despite showing up at a prearranged meeting to be arrested ‘because he didn’t surrender himself’

Surfr
    Free Member

nothing is impossible. It might take a while and a lot of resources, but any key is breakable eventually.

glenp
    Free Member

He repeatedly asked to meet with Swedish prosecutors previously, then they dropped all the charges.

Then a Swedish politician revived the case, and brought about this Euro warrant.

Then he volunteered himself to police to answer charges.

Now no bail.

Police state, police world!

iDave
    Free Member

I’m normally quite politically apathetic but this really boils my ‘post STW censorship’ urine. Remember the people in power claim to be acting on our behalf – calling them governments is giving them too much credibility.

Apart from the secrecy thing, it seems like whether sex was consensual can be decided sometime after the act if it’s expedient to do so. It’s also claimed his ‘celebrity’ was in itself ‘coercion’. Which would suggest that no one ‘famous’ can ever have sex without being accused of rape.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d hazzard a guess that the Ammericans (and probably the Chinese) have already cracked it. IIRC 64 bit can be craked by brute force, 256 just needs some time and a bit more thought (something about running 2 machines together, one encodeing, and the other timeing it, the cypher can be determiend by how long it takes to code something, repeat 00’s of times and you get the right cypher).

Here’s what will happen.

Ammericans demand extradition.

Rest of world says ‘yes, but no, but’ as they can’t extradite to the USA as they have the death penalty for treason.

The world continues to turn and he spends a long time in jail on some trumped up charges.

Stoner
    Free Member

I hope the next time someone leaks anything they just give to 4chan and be done with. no more pussy-footing around.

grrrr, this stich-up makes me angry.

glenp
    Free Member

The Americans in their ultimate arrogance seem to have overlooked the fact that he can’t be guilty of treason against the US – because he isn’t flippin’ American!

Neither is he guilty of the leaking! The one that did the leaks was – an American!

TheBrick
    Free Member

rsa is exponential in difficulty to crack depending on the length of the initial primes. I think 256 will be pretty hard to crack.

MSP

iDave – Member

I’m normally quite politically apathetic but this really boils my ‘post STW censorship’ urine. Remember the people in power claim to be acting on our behalf – calling them governments is giving them too much credibility.

I was thinking earlier, that I am now up for some protesting, its not this in itself, its just the last straw that has broken the camels back. Its the way modern government has misused information and secrecy, the way information is used stored and distributed in general with little legal recourse for affected individuals (commercial and government), the way the traditional media play along, unless they are forced to act. The way anti terrorism has been used as an excuse to destroy civil liberties. Its all just got too much and I know find myself wanting to fight back

TheBrick
    Free Member

AES permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (1018) AES keys per second would in theory require about 3×1051 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space.

MSP

TheBrick – Member

AES permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (1018) AES keys per second would in theory require about 3×1051 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space.

or could get lucky with its first attempt 😉

kimbers

I was thinking earlier, that I am now up for some protesting, its not this in itself, its just the last straw that has broken the camels back. Its the way modern government has misused information and secrecy, the way information is used stored and distributed in general with little legal recourse for affected individuals (commercial and government), the way the traditional media play along, unless they are forced to act. The way anti terrorism has been used as an excuse to destroy civil liberties. Its all just got too much and I know find myself wanting to fight back
    +1
    its such a load of tosh, it all goes back to guantanamo
    we want a place where we can ilegally detain and torture taliban so we’ll do it on a bit of cuba we happen to own so its outside of our own jurisdiction

wtf?!

as the guardian article points out america is shooting itself in the foot its violating the inalienable rights it harps on about so much
    and i cant believe the uk government is goin along with them

iDave
    Free Member

lets not forget the swiss bank who have stolen money donated by ‘we the people’

i believe their website is down.

mastercard and visa are now refusing to handle payments to wikileaks

Torminalis
    Free Member

I was thinking earlier, that I am now up for some protesting

count me in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am astonished that he was remanded in custody.

Jamie
    Free Member

mastercard and visa are now refusing to handle payments to wikileaks

Surprising seeing as Visa/Mastercard have no issues with facilitating donating to the KKK.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘wikileaks stuff’ is closed to new replies.