Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Wilding your garden our green space
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Unfortunatley a high density of deer, and particularly Muntjac, is to the woodland understory what the squirrels are to the canopy – a major problem. They will basically carpet bomb a woodland floor and nothing will grow or get away except for grasses, sedges, plants that spread by runners and certain other things they’re not so keen on. The woods will become very thin and sparse and there will be a massive reduction in biodiversity. So my advice would be keep shooting squirrels and also apply for a firearms license so that you can manage the deer too. They might look cute but removing deer from the woods would be single best thing that could be done for the overall health of the ecosystem.

Not sure i’d get a firearms licence for a deer rifle in my back garden – it’s 1.5 acres in total, but doesn’t really have a good enough back stop for anything better than an air rifle (maybe a FAC air rifle). Guess i’ll keep shooting mr nutkins then!

blokeuptheroad

@Ewan, that’s excellent information tailor made for my situation, thanks! I love that hand baler!  Really fancy making one of those.

Ewan
    Free Member

No worries – let me know how you get on and if you come up with any further cunning plans. Sounds like you have the same situation as me!

Make the bailer out of stronger materials than you think are needed (at least 4x2s) – the big lever arm makes a lot of force.

Bunnyhop

blokeuptheroad – Yes – horses aren’t supposed to eat ragwort (we used to dig it up by hand using whatever tools did the job best). We also dug up dock.
    There is so much help out there now: woodland trust, Shropshire wildlife trust, Parklife, RSPB (not just all about birds anymore). There will be a local group who could probably help you. Ewan’s advice is spot on.

wheelsonfire1

Probably too late for some of you now.. I don’t cut my hedges until late August/early September. The privet hedge is covered in beautifully smelling white flowers which the bees and butterflies love. I expect moths like it at night too. My neighbour has cut his side twice already – it’s a wildlife desert!

MrSparkle

We also have a bug hotel but it needs upgrading from the 2* to 5*

Bad reviews?

yosemitepaul

A wild corner of garden last week, Mrs YP cutting some wildflowers. You can just see some recently planted silver birch trees popping their heads above the daisies.

midlifecrashes

I’m getting the keys to a new place soon which has sat empty for nearly a year which will be rented out. The tenants will be so excited to see it’s been pre-rewilded.

Bunnyhop

Yes the hedge cutting is a bone of contention with our neighbour. You are only supposed to lightly hand trim a hedge during nesting season. Too many people probably cutting them right back with the usual hedge cutters. Our elderly neighbour wants our hornbeam and hawthorn hedge dug out and replaced with fencing. He also proposes to cut down a gorgeous old lilac bush that grows over into our property. I don’t understand his actions, as he feeds the birds and this bush is a haven for so many.
    This week we had a humming bird hawk moth flitting around the valerian flowers, damsel flies which I’ve never seen before, also our garden is like a bird nursery, full of fledglings.

Bug hotel now upgraded and getting better reviews :O)

MrSparkle

Bug hotel now upgraded and getting better reviews :O)

👍

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.