Wild Trails Scotland – Any good books?

Home Forum Bike Forum Wild Trails Scotland – Any good books?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Wild Trails Scotland – Any good books?
  • Yeah, although I have some crazy recollections of being able to ride a lot of the climb after the river crossing (but we had spent half an hour resting on the river banks and the climb was bone dry). Basically don’t just ‘assume’ its a push and give up without at least trying, big soft tyres obviously help!

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

If you are heading north I wouldn’t worry about kirroghtree really, its good. But not really worth the extra miles. I’d do mabie or drumlanrig which are just as good(you could do both) Then probably to aviemore or take in wolftrax if you want a trail centre. But in general there stuff all up the a9 if you want a stop before getting that far north. After aviemore/wolftrax its not far over to fort william

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

If you are heading up the A9 i can send you a good route round Dunkeld if you want.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Actually thinking about this, probably better heading up the A82 to fort william first, better drive.

So i’d suggest

Drumlanrig or Mabie(marthorn of mabie if you fancy a bit of yon glamping nonsense, http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/)

up the a82 to fortwilliam, over to aviemore direction, then back down the A9 to edinburgh, and then onto glentress/innerleithen on the way home.

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Scandal

How tech a rider are you and do you like hike a bike?

Ones to consider – Ciaran Path. Could ride the Devil’s Staircase from Glencoe, up to the dam, cross it and return via the Devil’s.

Or ride from Kinlochleven, try the various descents back into KL or even take a carry up onto the lower top of Binnean Mor.

Or from Glencoe – Up Lairig Gartian and down Larig Eilidh – big mountain scenery with a carry up from Glen Etive side.

Aviemore – so many good options up there. That’s a really good call. The Old Ministers Guest House for the accommodation win. Very good indeed. Some pretty good places to eat too.

Personally, I would knock the Seven Stanes stuff on the head as it is a ball ache of a drive up through Dumfries and Ayrshire. The Lakes as a stop over might be a better option then go up the M74.

Fort William is to be blunt a bit of a sh*t tip. The riding is really good but some of the restarants and hotels are dire. Trip Advisor is your friend here!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

Premier Icon scandal42
    Subscriber

Thanks for the tips again,

Sanny, I’ll have a look at those options tonight, in terms of tech we will both be rocking hardtails but I don’t mind using it if if you know what I mean.

Usually ride the Peaks and Wales but never been north.

I have this morning booked accommodation in a self catering apartment in Corpach for the Mon-Fri, it seems a good location for a base, we will drive out to other areas of interest from there. This means we are now pretty set on doing the ‘Tour De Ben Nevis’ route over 2 days, the gondola assisted stuff for half a day and a to be decided route around Kinlochleven.

In terms of the Stanes stuff we just fancied a bit of easy signposted stuff to warm up and down at the start and end of the trip, giving us time (me) to research the other wild stuff around Fort William area. I am the only one liable to do any research and just wanted the minimise the responsibility of getting good rides in.

Is Kirroughtree not as good as it’s made out to be then?

Anyone have any tips for bike friendly accommodation in Edinburgh?

Cheers again

I loved kirroughtree but it is quite out of the way so depends on how much driving you want to do . There is a thread on trailscotland called kinlochleven 101 which could be useful to you

gavstorie

Kirroughtree is brilliant… if you are thinking about doing it.. let me know.. i can send you links to a couple of options for accommodation

I wouldn’t bother with glentrool… Dalbeattie would be a better option.. or possibly even Drumlanrig

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Kirroughtree is great but so are mabie and drumlanrig. Kirroughtree arguably better but not a lot in it. Not 150miles worth anyhow. Plus newton Stewart is rotten, as are most town in south west Scotland tbh. Why I suggested marthorn.

doh

I think a lot of the fort William bashing is a bit over the top but pretty much every one of my top ten worst food experiences has been within sight of Ben Nevis.

If you are going to do a route near kinlochleven then devils staircase – black water dam – ciarnan path – then return west highland way back to car is an easily navigable “big” day.

vorlich

Mactheknife, you got a GPX of those Dunkeld routes? Vorlich@gmail.com if you’d be so kind! Thx

Premier Icon Gnnr
    Subscriber
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Wild Trails Scotland – Any good books?’ is closed to new replies.