Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wild camping.. Thetford Forest area..
  • medlow
    Free Member

Hey guys/gals.
    If I’m really quiet, leave no trace and blend in, arrive late and leave early…
    Will anyone know, will I get eaten by bears or shot by some over keen ranger?

I’m planning a bike pack trip and Thetford Forest is on the route.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s the Thetford Forest Axe Murderers group on FB, maybe you could ask there?

Slightly more seriously, if you can’t see house lights then it’s unlikely you’ll be seen and provided you don’t pitch up on a path it’s doubtful anyone will know you’ve been there. Maybe an early morning dog walker if you’re unlucky. It’s surprising just where you can wild camp and not be seen.

junglistjut
    Free Member

I doubt anyone will care.

Just riding the trails I’ve seen a small encampment of east Europeans living in there, plus a handful of families camping out with the kids. There’s always the occasional middle aged couple shagging in the bushes too.

medlow
    Free Member

@Junglistjut.
    I will be hoping to avoid all of the above.! I’ll spend the evening riding the trails to hunt out a good spot to be sure of a peaceful night.

@whitestone
    Gotcha! I thought that would be case. This is my first bike pack trip and have always camped on private land in the past so slightly nervous about new areas and the reaction of local folk.

medlow
    Free Member

@thelocals..
    Where would be the most suitable general location.?
    West side of the CentreParks road?
    The East side of the road is where the MTB trails and rifle range are so will avoid that.
    North of Brandon towards Mundford?

johnnystorm

I’ve slept in the Teepees in the climbing frame area in High Lodge. The disabled loos are open all night as well. Not far from a 24hr McDonald’s too.

The Mayday meadow area is OK as well. I did get woken up on a snowy morning by the Husky crowd.

grahamt1980

If you went riding on the Stanton Downham side I reckon there are loads of places no one would ever find you.
    a lot of it is pretty dense tree growth and there isn’t a lot of housing that side at all

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘Wild camping’

I’ve slept in the Teepees in the climbing frame area in High Lodge. The disabled loos are open all night as well. Not far from a 24hr McDonald’s too.

Words used to mean things! 😉

epicyclo

Malvern Rider

‘Wild camping’

Words used to mean things!

I know.

When I was a lad, that used to mean 3 lasses, me, a bottle of homegrown whisky, and one tent… 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Now I have the Benny Hill tune as an earworm!

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Just remember to check your pods for ticks on awaking.

(Also hair line, ears etc. etc.)

alric
    Free Member

Id probably go south west of mundford, though theres many good spots elsewhere, and stay away from thetford

epicyclo

Malvern Rider

Now I have the Benny Hill tune as an earworm!

Well it was the Sixties.  🙂

medlow
    Free Member

I’ve been chatting to a mate about it, he knows Thetford pretty well and has advised on some no go areas, and the risk of bumping into:

Doggers
    Motocrossers
    Eastern European camps
    Dead Eastern Europeans
    Ticks

Maybe Thetford is starting to sound like a bad idea.

mlltt

I was there last Saturday night from 18.30 to 20.30ish. I didn’t see anyone, at all, it had been raining but there was no one in sight so I’d say you’d be fine.

Brandon side would be my choice. Plus there’s some good single track over there.

I’ve been told about people living in the woods but I’ve never actually seen them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping.. Thetford Forest area..’ is closed to new replies.