Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wild camping Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons (or other options near to Malvern)
  • aracer
    Free Member

Has anybody been wild camping in the Black Mountains or the Beacons? Is it OK to camp up there and any recommendations of spots?

Failing that where else close to Malvern can you go wild camping? Thinking of taking 6yo son, so somewhere not too wild is preferable, and it will probably be him riding his bike me on a uni so not anything too long and hard to ride in (the other option is the tandem – whilst a longer ride is OK, that’s even more limiting in terms of gnarr, given mini-aracer will ride stuff on his bike I wouldn’t take the tandem down).

aracer
    Free Member

bump for the weekday crowd

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Not officially legal but some properly wild country up that way so you’d be extremely unlikely to get hassled. Not overnighted up there myself but plan to do so later in the year and some friends of ours did so a couple of months back

I’d recommend looking up around the Grwyne Fechan valley. N of Hermitage Bridge. There is a dead end road leading part of the way up there from Llanbedr (pub!) and then two parallel bridleways running either side of the valley up towards Mynydd Lysiau. There’s loads of springs and streams about for water and a few sheepfolds and forestry areas for shelter.

Stoner
    Free Member

I often wild camp on the black mountains. Usually within stumbling distance of Llanthony Priory and it’s bar for beer & food.

Plenty of spots above the open ground wall too.

Further over, there’s permitted camping at Llech Lila SN92251935

More info here:
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/walking-and-climbing/wildcamping-in-the-brecon-beacons/31061.html

A nice sheltered spot to make a camp would be somewhere along the Taff trail, say between the Upper Neuadd Reservoir and the head of the talybont reservour with plenty of “easier” trails such as the Gap double track, nearby.

Also the picnic spot at SO05551755 is quite sheltered and discrete.

stevied
    Free Member

If you want to stay local to Malvern there’s a nice little spot (secluded plateau) we used to camp on near Gullet Quarry. Some really nice riding at that end of the hills too.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW – just thought, you could also aim for Bredon hill. Go up from Conderton, along the top heading west, camp in the earthworks near the water tower/banbury stone, then ride back thy you came to conderton, or take the easy route down in the morning via the overbury estate road and Lalu farm.

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – some handy ideas there.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

You can wild camp absolutely anywhere with a bit of confidence and common sense stealth. Don’t make loads of noise, stay one night only, and pitch in the evening not the afternoon and you could camp outside someone’s house. It may not be legal, but it follows the “if you’re causing no harm, you’re alright with me” Marley philosophy.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t make loads of noise

Did I mention I was taking a 6yo? 😉

hanneke
    Free Member

Cwm Llwch is a good place to camp! Lovely field under trees on the river… The farmer comes by in the morning to take a couple of quid off you. It is right underneath Pen-y-Fan…

Or walking up from there to the small loch, that is an excellent wild camping spot and one of my favourites…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons (or other options near to Malvern)’ is closed to new replies.