Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wild camp by Barmouth
  • Premier Icon voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Any good spots close to Barmouth to wild camp, going with a first timer so not too extreme please

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

A request:

Any suggestions for the OP by Personal Message and not publicly.

At least one forum I frequent has made their “Trip Reports” sub-forum accessible to members only to try and stop fly campers misusing any location accidentally revealed.

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

messaged you directly, as per WS.

PS: It’s a serious suggestion, though the location name is a bit weird…

Premier Icon voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Yes good point boys

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

@voodoo_chile & @kayak23 – didn’t mean to sound abrupt, I was just about to head out on a ride so it was short and to the point.

There’s been a lot of bad press about “wild camping” recently but what’s really happening isn’t wild camping as most on here would recognise, i.e. arrive late, leave early, leave no trace. The Times even illustrated a piece about litter louts in the Cairngorms with a picture of a mountain biker!

I saw one post with possible explanations:

* No foreign holidays to the usual hot spots.
    * No festivals
    * regular campsites are packed

Thus you get lots of people heading out (but not too far from the road of course) creating a mess and then just leaving it because “someone else does that don’t they?”.

Sorry, rant over 😊

Premier Icon kayak23

Good point. Noted.

Mods please remove my suggestion if possible 👍

Free Member

Whitestone, ur spot on 👍🏿

Premier Icon chevychase
    Free Member

Garthyfog farm in Arthog. About a 10 minute ride or 40 minute walk across the bridge into Barmouth.

You’ll defo get a pitch.

Free Member

Whitestone, ur spot on 👍🏿

Premier Icon CountZero

@whitestone – it’s really sad that this has to happen, but it’s clear that ignorant townies don’t give a shit, (literally), about plonking themselves on somebody else’s land, fouling it and despoiling it, then leaving everything behind with the expectation that the local yokels will clean it up, because that’s what they’re there for, innit?
    This happened some weeks ago alongside the River Avon in Lacock, the farmer whose land it is had to take his cattle off the field after a number of animals were badly cut by broken bottles and sharp objects were left behind, along with their excrement.
    I walked alongside the river last weekend, and there were about a dozen pairs of socks left where animals graze, a pair of underpants, and a glass Budweiser bottle! 🤬

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

But surely if everyone decides to wild camp responsibly near the beach to save a few £‘s on a campsite, then who decides who gets to stay and who goes ?

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

It’s always happened to some degree, and no doubt the level of abuse varies depending on locale, but the combination of factors this year seems to have created a perfect (shit) storm.

We’ve got a generation, possibly two, for whom personal responsibility is an alien concept. Go to the nearest shopping mall, drop your rubbish “‘cos someone’s paid to pick it up, gives them a job”. Grab a burger on the way home and chuck the wrappers out of the car window – “‘cos that’s what council tax is for innit?”. Utter selfishness and a lack of respect for anyone or anything else.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.