Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wiiiide SPD shoes for touring – Kestrel/Hellcat as wide as Freeriders?
  • RustySpanner

I need some new daps for general riding/touring.

They have to be wiiiiiiide and take an MTB SPD cleat.

Giro have narrowed their fit, the utter, utter bastards.

Considering 5 10.
    The Freeriders feel fine, but obvs no cleat.
    Are the Kestrels/Hellcat as wide?

Other option is try and find some Lake/Northwave or put up with the eventual agony of Shimano.

Ta
    Pete.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve found nothing wider than a lake (wide). MX238 for me. Different lasts may not be as wide even if they are the wide, or wider option.

csb

Toured with DMT downhill spd shoes that were lovely and wide but don’t look too weird. Dined in posh Spanish resturants and danced till 2am at a disco in Oakhampton.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

Cheers, the MX-1’s look reasonable, maybe a bit too bikey for wobbling round castles and owl sanctuaries, but definitely an option!
    I know Lake do an Extra Wide too, but they all seem to be Disco Slippers which cost a fortune.

Anyone tried Scott?
    I know they’ve been mentioned in previous threads.

mjsmke

I find the shape is more important that the width. Most ‘wide’ fit shoes are still very narrow at the end. Specialized are not wide width but brave a more square shape at the end

To shoe manufacturers: We need wide at the end. At the toes! Wide, wide, wide. Wider than you’re thinking. A bit wider than that. Wider again. Add another CM on. A bit wider still. Now wide at the END of the shoe FFS. Shoe manufacturers are dumb. Take a photo of a proper wide foot, then work to that shape. Rant over.

jamiemcf

As @mjsmke said. Or dear altra, Vivo, lems et Al. Please make a cycling shoe (range)

andrewreay

To shoe manufacturers: We need wide at the end

Spot on!

Sidi Mega were recommended to me on here and they are the most comofrtable spd shoes I have ever worn. Really, really good. But not cheap and at the Disco Slipper end of the market. But I don’t care. They just fit without any issues whatsoever.

And my feet are the classic flipper shape.

mjsmke

Sidi Mega are laughably narrow. I’d have to cut my big toe of to squeeze into them, and still be too narrow.

Old style five tens are just about wide enough. Just. But still have to get a size too long to fit.

Makes me laugh when people say they have wide feet and wear brands like DM, Sidi, Lake. No you don’t have wide feet. You might have wide in the middle, but still have pointy ballerina feet if any of those shoes fit. Try wearing flip flops and have your feet hang off the side, or have the measuring tool at clarks not go wide enough. Yet only a size 6 in length. Thats wide.

midlifecrashes

Have you seen the Adidas Velosamba? Can’t tell you much about width, but for SPD pub rides and touring without looking like a lycra lout…

https://www.adidas.co.uk/the-velosamba-cycling-shoes/FW4459.html

andrewreay

Sidi Mega are not laughably narrow, at least not these:

Sidi Dragon Mega 5’s

It’s taken me the best part of 20 years trying to find any pair of cycling shoes that are wide enough. This has included at least the following: Bont, Lake, Northwave and Shim / Spesh wide.

I agree that 510 Freeriders are OK as I own those too, but they don’t have SPD cleat fittings.

None have fitted me as well as the Sidi Mega Dragons. So just be careful to specify which of Sidi’s shoes you have found too narrow previously because they are definitely NOT all laughably narrow.

jamiemcf

I tried some Lake enduros, they smelled great out the box but the big toe tapered in. Better thany impact pros but I was at the lower end of the length.

My altras and vivos are the comfiest shoes I’ve worn

andrewreay

@mjsmke And PS i don’t fit flip flops because the balls of my feet head off over the sides so please don’t tell me I don’t know the pain of wide feet thanks.

mjsmke

Wasn’t a dig at you, just people in general that say they have wide feet but still fit in pointy shoes.

Sidi Mega are not laughably narrow, at least not these:

Sidi Dragon Mega 5’s

Too pointy. I can’t get my foot in them. Not without going a few sizes too long which puts the cleat much too far forward.

hazmo

I tried some Kestrel Boa’s having had decent fit with precious 5.10 flats. The Kestrels look lovely but way way too narrow. Got some Shimano ME5’s instead; still not ideal but at least rideable. As said above, come on Altra, get some bike shoes going, please!

kimura54321

I have wide feet, can’t get on even with the wide fit Shimano ones with BOA adjusters. Must have bought and returned about five pairs this year…

Ones that worked for me were DHB Dorica MTB, about £50 plenty stiff enough for my road bike and the laces give loads of width adjustment. Look slightly more “golf” than “disco slipper”, but fine for walking round in and still reasonable for bars/cafe stops. Just size down, I’m normally 9-9.5 in shoes but an 8 in the Doricas was spot on.

LD
    Free Member

Interestingly I was chatting to fiveten rep at Tweedlove today and he insisted, and showed me, that Hellcats are wider last than Kestrels. He also insisted that last have not got narrower since Adidas which I am not convinced of. I used to use Impact VXI’s which were awesomely wide and comfy but are no more. I now have kestrels and they are OK but not as wide as old vxi’s.
    Might be worth contacting them to see how last on hellcats compares to Freeriders.

RustySpanner

Thank you, Hellcats ordered, with the option of free return.

Stopped in at Wheelbase in Staveley today and tried on everything they had – the Shimano AM’s felt ok, but my experience of the older ones is that they start to hurt, a lot, after about 30 miles.

The Velosamba look great. Not tried the original Samba but Samba Super are pretty narrow on me.
    Shame.

RustySpanner

They’ve arrived and fit better than anything else I’ve tried, so let’s see how it goes.

The velcro strap is a bit annoying though.
    I read in a review that it was quite high up and had the potential to rub, so might have to cut it off at some point.
    Very heavy shoes too, but I suspect they’ll be fine for pottering.

dc1988

The old Impact Vxi were pretty wide, I have a set I never wear as they’re a bit too roomy for me

LD
    Free Member

The old Impact Vxi were pretty wide, I have a set I never wear as they’re a bit too roomy for me

What size?

dc1988

LD
    Free Member

AHH too big, as you have already said 😉

belugabob
    Free Member

Toured with DMT downhill spd shoes that were lovely and wide but don’t look too weird. Dined in posh Spanish resturants and danced till 2am at a disco in Oakhampton.

To be fair, nothing looks weird, in Okehampton 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wiiiide SPD shoes for touring – Kestrel/Hellcat as wide as Freeriders?’ is closed to new replies.