Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 311 total)
  • Wiggo on helmets
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Donk, you are arguing against helmets based on crush injuries yet the helmet is designed to help protect against impact injures. Most cycling accidents will be impact by their nature so having an helmet would help your chances of avoiding serious head injuries.

juan
    Free Member

Definitely have the cycling bug…. (groan)

Well I am not sure spiders qualify as bug

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have three helmets in my cupboard all damaged because I had crashes. In one instance, my bike landed on my head when I went over the bars on a steep drop. The bike cracked my helmet in three places.

My helmets have saved my life and I am very grateful to them 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

My helmets have saved my life and I am very grateful to them

No! Your lack of skills put you in danger.

DrJ

Helmets save lives the same way seatbelts save lives … err … do they?

http://www.john-adams.co.uk/2009/09/16/seat-belts-again-2/

Nobby

so not wearing a seatbelt in a car is dangerous? who knew?
    Seriously tho do you have the stats for head injuries KSIs among seatbelt wearers?

What I was getting at is that motorists already have a compulsion which, if ignored, leads to the head injuries you referred to.

Been looking for the report I mentioned but the ABI have taken it down – they never leave stuff up too long. THIS is pretty informative though & does give quite a few stats that are relevant.

mashiehood
    Free Member

don – yep, i am a complete idiot on a bike, couldnt even bunnyhop a kerb, hence why I wear a helmet which saved my life.

D0NK

Molgrips/craig, I’m arguing against helmet compulsion for cyclists. I’m also highlighting other areas where compulsion might help but there’s very very few people recommending it, why is that?

There’s other reason against compulsion we can switch to one of those is you want.

Again, I do wear a helmet whilst riding so no need to worry unduly about my safety.

Nobby yeah I’d had a look at that, poor people more likely to die was a strange one. (my point was that even wearing a seatbelt some car users still suffer fatal head injuries, but there’s no helmet compulsion argument for drivers)

BruceWee

I’m going to need some evidence for that, I’m afraid.

Obviously it’s difficult to get figures that will catagorically prove it one way or the other but this is what I’ve found so far

Plus a few other sources that would back up a similar assumption but all found on cyclehelmets.org so I know that won’t satisfy most folk.

What do you think a reasonable percentage would be?

Nobby

Nobby yeah I’d had a look at that, poor people more likely to die was a strange one.

It’s almost Daily Mail! I’d have guessed the correlation would be the fatality rate in older vehicles rather than anything else but the inference in there is otherwise.

DezB
    Free Member

Click this link

DezB
    Free Member

Important link

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no idea on the percentage, I’m not the one throwing 99% about.

That link says 10% of all CHILD cycling injuries, which appears to include cuts and scrapes, are on the head.

Doesn’t seem at all relevant to this debate about serious accidents involving adults in traffic.

D0NK

Drivers of small cars, especially the superminis, are four times more at risk of death
    in a collision with a larger car than drivers of the largest type of car. The increasing
    divergence in mass is estimated to have increased the number of car occupants
    killed by about 1%, or 30 extra deaths

😯 (matiz driver)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whahhh, whhhhhaaaaaah, whail….whahhhhhahhhh..

Mummy I can stand it any more..

Please make the nasty men stop whining..

Please…

Whahhhah..whahhhh…

BruceWee

I have no idea on the percentage, I’m not the one throwing 99% about.

That link says 10% of all CHILD cycling injuries, which appears to include cuts and scrapes, are on the head.

Doesn’t seem at all relevant to this debate about serious accidents involving adults in traffic.

OK, do you agree that helmets are designed to protect you in a fall from standing while stationary?

davidjey
    Free Member

Mods, please can you re-open SpecialKnees ‘out of my way, thoughtless roadies, I’m driving a motor car dontcherknow’ thread as a distraction from this oh so tired old debate?

mooman
    Free Member

Helmets do offer some protection obviously.
    But none at all against cars/motorbikes/lorries/busses …

It would be a sad day if they ever made them compulsory.

I fear there is more chance of this government taxing cyclists though .. if it gets more popular, they will smell money to be made.

davidjey
    Free Member

taxing cyclists

Even less enforceable than legalising helmet use.

nick1962
    Free Member

The proportion of RTCs where a helmet would have helped is tiny. 99% of the time wearing a kitten would be just as effective.

I’m going to need some evidence for that, I’m afraid.

Control group volunteer prepares for molgrips new helmet testing research

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Uneforcable, yes. But that wouldn’t stop Them from trying. First a bike registration plate/tag system. Then the annual renewal fee/tax…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Helmets do offer some protection obviously.

It would be a sad day if they ever made them compulsory

Nothing could protect you against being run over by a bus or lorry or motorbike….therefore we should not have brakes or lights ..its a pointless argument as no one is arguing that helmets will make it impossible to injure you.
    The same argument was used about making motorbike helmets compulsory and still is in the US of A

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Do all RTC with cars/motorbikes/lorries/ busses(sic) involve the cyclist having their head run over?

mooman
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

Nothing could protect you against being run over by a bus or lorry or motorbike….therefore we should not have brakes or lights

You gotta explain this one to me …

How does not having brakes or lights compare??

BermBandit
    Free Member

Just a thought, how do people figure out all this guff about what helmets do and don’t do?

Presumably accident statistics are just that and only record what happens when someone has in fact hurt themselves. So how do they come upon all the info about when folk have clumped themselves severely and not hurt themselves? Is there a special number we need to ring or something? I’ve got about 20 or so head/solid object interface reports to file where my head has not in fact exploded or been damaged if that is the case.

BruceWee

..its a pointless argument as no one is arguing that helmets will make it impossible to injure you

And no one is saying that helmets are useless.

What we are trying to say is that helmets are such a tiny part of the safety debate that the amount of attention paid to them is ridiculous.

The debate should be about driver training, cyclist training, ad campaigns, infrastructure, etc and yet every single time it comes back to helmet legislation.

If we start to accept their limitations in RTCs maybe we can finally move the debate on.

mooman
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Do all RTC with cars/motorbikes/lorries/ busses(sic) involve the cyclist having their head run over?

Very doubtful.
    But how does a helmet protect you if you go under the wheels of a 10ton lorry?
    Would the helmet protect your neck any better than being struck at 60mph by an oncoming car?

craigxxl
    Free Member

BruceWee – Member

..its a pointless argument as no one is arguing that helmets will make it impossible to injure you

And no one is saying that helmets are useless.

What we are trying to say is that helmets are such a tiny part of the safety debate that the amount of attention paid to them is ridiculous.

BruceWee – Member

It’s pretty irresponsible to go around saying that helmets are going to do you any good in a collision.

BruceWee – Member

Seriously, if there’s one message that cyclists should be trying to get across to drivers it’s that bicycle helmets offer no protection in an RTC.

Make you mind up on which message your trying to say then

BruceWee

Make you mind up on which message your trying to say then

Stop telling drivers that helmets are going to save cyclists if the hit them. Move the debate on to training, advertising, awareness, infrastructure.

Those are the points I’ve been trying to get across all along.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Nothing could protect you against being run over by a bus or lorry or motorbike..

Move the debate on to training, advertising, awareness, infrastructure.

For drivers or cyclists? Best metaphor I’ve heard for this:

You’ve put us in a cage with lions and your offering us protective clothing and lion taming lessons.

FFS do something about the Lions:

– strict enforcement of traffic laws. You’re driving a two ton hunk of metal – you obey speed limits, you obey traffic signals, you drive at appropriate speeds for the conditions (which is often lower than the speed limit), you don’t use your mobile phone
    – you **** up, you lose your licence and have to retake your test.
    – we drop the speed limit to 20mph on all roads without segregated cycle infrastructure.
    – we put in place segregated cycle infrastructure (with priority at junctions)

Stop the hurt, don’t give me a sticking plaster.

nick1962
    Free Member

Is STW about to implode all the threads eem to be converging including lion analogies

nick1962 – Member

kcr – Member

More people cycling is the best way to improve safety for cyclists.

Safety in numbers ,like being in herd of wilderbeest so only the old ,sick and young get eaten by the lions

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Drivers of small cars, especially the superminis, are four times more at risk of death
    in a collision with a larger car than drivers of the largest type of car.

How likely is it that the drivers of the largest type of car will be in collision with a larger car?

binners

Has there been any research done on helmet use in cases of grand pianos falling from the sky and landing on your head?

Or incidents involving Acme Rocket powered roller skates?

If not, its a glaring omission

unklehomered
    Free Member

Full Video…

One of the first things he says “I’m probably too tipsy to start talking about this now.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bradley-wiggins-calls-for-cycling-helmets-to-be-made-compulsory-following-olympic-games-bus-crash-8000839.html?afid=af

toppers3933
    Free Member

Yay, Boris has joined in now. National darling says helmets should be compulsory, village idiot says no they shouldn’t be. Theres only one way to settle it…….

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

unklehomered
    Free Member

but what weapons? I say spoons.

Cougar

From Twitter a little while ago,

@bradwiggins

Just to confirm I haven’t called for helmets to be made the law as reports suggest

@bradwiggins

I suggested it may be the way to go to give cyclists more protection legally I involved In an accident

coffeeking
    Free Member

– strict enforcement of traffic laws. You’re driving a two ton hunk of metal – you obey speed limits, you obey traffic signals, you drive at appropriate speeds for the conditions (which is often lower than the speed limit), you don’t use your mobile phone
    – you **** up, you lose your licence and have to retake your test.

I agree. Though at the same time you have to apply the same to the cyclists. Day in day out I see stupid dangerous actions by fellow cyclists (and occasionally myself!) which not only put themselves in danger but others too, and to then bring all the enforcement against the driver is a bit of hipocrisy. Everything should be applied equally, only then do you stand a chance of having equal respect of each other on the road.

bikebouy
    Free Member

D0NK

@bradwiggins

Just to confirm I haven’t called for helmets to be made the law as reports suggestlooked in the video like he had but I’m guessing he had other things on his mind, was a little tipsy, got ambushed with the question and is a freaking awesome athlete so we’ll let him off eh?
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 311 total)

The topic ‘Wiggo on helmets’ is closed to new replies.