Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Wiggo injured by van driver
  • DezB
    Free Member

There’s always a weird vibe on here about things like this. Hopefully this will highlight the dangers we face riding on the roads amongst morons, but I doubt it.
    There’s probably even on here thinking he could have avoided it. Maybe if he’d done the Bikeability course eh?

lipseal
    Free Member

I heard he was on his way to Strava the sparrow hill segment? Also that the bike is worth more than the van.

ourmaninthenorth

There’s probably even on here thinking he could have avoided it.

I drive through that junction twice a day. I’ve always found a way of avoiding it on the bike, even on a Sunday.

Yes, driver is a muppet. Yes, you can make your life a little easier by avoiding complex junctions, on a bike, in the dark, at rush hour. Velo d’Or or not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I bet it was poor road positioning 😉

votchy
    Free Member

Was it the drivers fault then? Seems everyone is blaming her, did wiggo have lights on? Does anyone actually have the details/witnessed what happened or is it the usual knee jerk reaction that ‘all drivers are *****’ that is too common place on here?

rewski
    Free Member

Both Charlie and votchy make good points, some others are just plain odd, his family must of been very worried.

feenster
    Free Member

from the bbc report:

he regularly goes on practice rides around the rural roads in the area

“I’m just off out to practice riding me bike Cath, see if I can get the hang of it. Need anything from Tescos?”

warton
    Free Member

whatever you do,

DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS ON THE DAILY MAIL ARTICLE

your head may explode

Superficial
    Free Member

Dammit, since you said that I had to look. Arrrrrrrgggghhhhh.

portlyone

He had lights*, sadly the 4000 lumens dazzled the Astra driver and… 😉

*I have no idea really.

molgrips
    Free Member

Summary?

ransos
    Free Member

Does anyone actually have the details/witnessed what happened or is it the usual knee jerk reaction that ‘all drivers are *****’ that is too common place on here?

It might have been Wiggo’s fault. It probably wasn’t. I’m not aware of the general vibe you describe, quite the opposite in fact.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I don’t know why he was (a) out in the dark

Yeah, cyclists out in the dark, only got themselves to blame.

*headdesk*

mrmo
    Free Member

Summary?

he was a cyclist so asking for it.
    she was a woman driver so what do you expect

GrahamS

DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS ON THE DAILY MAIL ARTICLE

Fortunately I got too distracted by their extensive coverage of the Victoria Secrets Fashion Show, new skimpy outfits of the Dallas Mavericks cheerleaders and the “50 Shades of Grey” sex toys to read any of the incisive and thought-provoking commentary 😀

xiphon
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

Summary?

Basically the Daily Mail is confused and has hit an infintiy loop of indecision and confusion
    1. It was a bloody woman driver
    2. it was a cyclist who should not be on the road

They are not sure who to vent at and are now confused

Aparently they wished one was an immigrant to make it all easier to understand

They think Wiggo is most likely to get cancer

HTH

Some of this is actually true!!

@ Katey, Glasgow: Get off your high horse. I’m just as female as you are but even I can admit that women drivers have next to no awareness of what goes on around them on the road. I see it everyday. Not only do they NEVER give way, they might as well wear blinkers. They are always sitting practically on top of the steering wheel, concentrating only straight ahead and never right or left and they certainly don’t know what a rear view mirror is for.

This is genius though

[/quote]the lancashire home bradley wiggins lives in must be his second home as he was born in belgium
    [/quote]

ourmaninthenorth

Yeah, cyclists, only got themselves to blame.

*headdesk*

That’s the thing about quoting out of context, it’s always so easy to look right.

billysugger
    Free Member

If he’d been at home on the internet none of this would have happened.

‘There’s so many bad drivers on the road, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle’ is my all time favorite comment. Yes let’s not address the problem, lets get rid of the affected.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s a publicity stunt to raise his profile and ensure that he crowns a pretty successful year with the SPotY. Well known fact that personal tragedy = votes.

zangolin
    Free Member

Know that junction/garage well – used to be on one of my regular training routes back in teh day.
    Picture from G Streetview below – arrow were Brad’s bike is.

GrahamS

‘There’s so many bad drivers on the road, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle’ is my all time favorite comment. Yes let’s not address the problem, lets get rid of the affected.

As someone on here once said:

You’ve put us in a cage with lions and you’re offering us protective clothing and lion taming lessons.

FFS do something about the Lions!

binners

It’s a publicity stunt to raise his profile and ensure that he crowns a pretty successful year with the SPotY. Well known fact that personal tragedy = votes.

Coyote – I think you’re getting mixed up with the X Factor.

Oh goody! A personal tragedy story

Aaaaaaand…….Cue Coldplay……

😉

wisepranker
    Free Member

Interesting to see the photo above, looks like crash investigators. Would they be there if it had been you or me who had been hit?

It looks like a couple of Police traffic cars to me.
    From personal experience, if there’s any injuries in an RTC, traffic turn up and have a look about and a measure up incase the injuries are life changing or life threatening. Seems to have been a pretty normal procedure with all the accidents I’ve been to.

Coyote
    Free Member

Binners, it’s the great British public voting. It may just make a difference…

Jase
    Free Member

I bet thats put an end to his appearance on Graham Norton tomorrow night 😥

Jackrabbit
    Free Member

Another Daily Mail classic from the article: “Wiggins was out on a training ride close to the his Cheshire home when he was hit the by woman driver near a petrol station”. Divs…

nick1962
    Free Member

If the driver is at fault imagine the insurance claim?
    Never mind the broken bike what about loss of earnings 😯

project
    Free Member

His new book is out today,

hitman
    Free Member

best wishes Bradley on a speedy recovery

manitou
    Free Member

What MTB does Wiggo ride then?

GrahamS

@James_Tindall: Wiggo and Sutton’s accidents in the last 24 hours are an example of why everyone should wear a helmet.

Yes, because nothing prevents broken ribs quite like a helmet. 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

healing vibes to wiggins, sutton and every other unknown rider down.

always a rough time of year, some drivers aclimatise to winter..

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Wiggo injured by van driver’ is closed to new replies.