Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Wiggo for sports personality of the year – Surely !!
  • radoggair
    Free Member

It has to be wiggo this year. After TDF i thought maybe an Olympian would grab it for some mental display in the GB football team, but after today it has to be.

What a year if it is, amazing

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nah, it’ll go to that ‘Plucky Brit’ ( well, that’s why it sounds like…) Murray..

Dunno how they’ll make it possible, but they will.

🙄

rOcKeTdOg

maybe if he wins the world TT champs and the vuelta too

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Stuff that.
    Wiggo for pope. 😀

deluded
    Free Member

There’s absolutely no hope in Hell it can go to anyone other than Wiggins.

grahamh
    Free Member

Wiggo for pope

And the new Archbishop of Canterbury 8)

singlecrack
    Free Member

2 cyclists in a row 😯

That’ll have Clarkson spitting feathers …

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I doubt you would get odds on it.

mikey74
    Free Member

The only thing holding him back is that Cav won it last year. Otherwise, it’s a one-horse-race.

swavis

He’s actually got a bit of personality about him too. Legend! 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

after the shambolic and pretty disrespectful way the BBC handled the road races, i don’t even care who wins it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Identical conversation in the TT thread…

muggomagic

Once in a while a sportsman comes along that not only is a supreme athlete but they also have a connection with the general public. Bradley Wiggins has that connection. The crowd of people gathered outside cheering his name while he was being interviewed on bbc 3 earlier was so heartwarming. It wouldn’t matter what sport Wiggo did he’d be loved by the British public anyway because he is humble, funny and to top it off he’s a winner. It’s great that he is a cyclist and to hear my 6 y/o son say that he’d like to ride a bike at the Olympics. That’s down to Bradley Wiggins.
    Thank you. Thank you so very much.

cchris2lou

watched on french tv, and they were amazed at the number of people along the route . they compared it to mountain stages in the tdf .

sas
    Free Member

after the shambolic and pretty disrespectful way the BBC handled the road races, i don’t even care who wins it.

I thought that was the fault of the Olympic Broadcasting Corporation who didn’t bother to tell the mobile networks they were relying on 3G for the timing, the BBC just took the video feed from them.

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmm…

I posted the very same thread about 7 hours ago, it got pulled in minutes, and I got an email giving me a verbal telling off! Someone care to tell me what that was about and how this thread is still going?

Or was that just cos the Hairy Southerner was throwing his toys out of the pram cos he was at work and everyone else watched it live on TV?

😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess yours was viewed as a spoiler, being right after the result?

Quite rightly IMO.

druidh
    Free Member

I guess that a cycling forum is the very last place I’d expect someone to log on to expecting to see the result of an Olympic cycle event.

RustySpanner

mikey74 – Member

Otherwise, it’s a one-horse-race.

He’s no oil painting, but that’s a bit harsh.

NickScots
    Free Member

Chris Hoy is amazing as a role model and as a winner, he has been knighted so should Wiggo, as similarly he has achieved lots, arguably more varied ie track and road.

But, as he was born in Ghent he may not be eligible ?

He certainly deserves a knighthood.

mboy
    Free Member

LOL @ druidh, my thoughts entirely!

Don’t wanna see the content, don’t click… Simple!

Anyway, as for Wiggo… Even removing biased view as a cyclist, the guy is a legend. He’s now the most decorated British Olympian ever (and is likely to compete in one more games still), he (unlike so many SPOTY’s) is a proper character and is very humble and more than anything he performs for the crowd, whether that be winning a race or making jokes on the podium. When you learn about some of the shit he’s been through in his life (alcoholic father that only wanted to know him after he had already won an Olympic gold, severe depression and hitting the booze himself, his Dad dying just as they started to patch the relationship etc.) you really have to admire the guy. The fact he’s a very likeable character, dislikes the media and will not pander to them, and is genuinely the worlds best t what he does by a good margin right now, and he’s got to be odds on favourite to win SPOTY by miles!

Compare him to Murray, and Murray is leagues behind. Yes he’s a good tennis player, But not only are the performances lacking, but he’s a total goon and the public knows it. We only support him cos he’s British! Brad has, in the space of 2 weeks in the summer of 2012, cemented his future alongside other British sporting heroes for good! And I’m sure British Cycling will only get stronger still as a result…

imnotverygood

I guess that a cycling forum is the very last place I’d expect someone to log on to expecting to see the result of an Olympic cycle event.

TBH, STW is probably the last place I’d expect to see such a result.

bonchance
    Free Member

It won’t happen alas. Gifted, talented, hard working – consistent winner who is not a c u nex Tuesday.

But with no obvious defect (Murray?) It’s not good copy or business – and they can’t rely on him sucking up to ‘the man. (Gillette ad. 🙂

Bravo Wiggo¡

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I can see the planning of Wiggo’s season now

Dauphine, Paris nice, TDF, Olympics, and of course the main target the BBC’s SPOTY competiton……….

He won’t care about it other than for the free exposure for the largest broadcasting competitor to the BBC….

So that’s Murray as a shoo in then 😉

bongo136
    Free Member

1/7 odds for Wiggo on William hill

brakes
    Free Member

when is it?
    when can I start voting?

convert

After his comments last night re cyclists and wanting new laws regarding helmets and ipods he will have lost the votes of a swathe of cycle activists/militants. Not that he’ll care a jot – I don’t think spoty is high up in his life’s ambitions.

juan
    Free Member

I guess that a cycling mountain biking forum is the very last place I’d expect someone to log on to expecting to see the result of an Olympic cycle road racing event.

FTFY

Jase
    Free Member

I read that one of the bookies had already started to pay out!

jambalaya
    Free Member

If we want Wiggins to win we have to vote for him

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s a shoe- in. Imagine now Sue Barker introducing the only man to combine TDF victory, Olympic gold medal and the ability to spark of multiple, consecutive and pointless helmet debates on STW. Chapeau!

mikey74
    Free Member

After his comments last night re cyclists and wanting new laws regarding helmets and ipods he will have lost the votes of a swathe of cycle activists/militants. Not that he’ll care a jot – I don’t think spoty is high up in his life’s ambitions.

He was absolutely right. Especially about the ipod/phone thing. if that loses the vote of some idiotic cyclists then so be it.

franksinatra

And I’m sure British Cycling will only get stronger still as a result

I heard that British Cycling membership had increased by 50,000 since TDF, not sure if that is true or not but would be pretty tangeble evidence of his (and Cav / Froome / Millar) influence if true.

jimc101
    Free Member

I heard that British Cycling membership had increased by 50,000 since TDF

Well they did have a great offer of £10 membership; having been riding for 25+ years and never been a member before, seemed like a good deal to take up.

avdave2

I’ve just joined British Cycling but that was down to a thread on here about someone unfortunate enough to be taken off the bike by a car. Seemed like a good idea to both support them and get access to legal help should the same ever happen to me.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Wiggo for sports personality of the year – Surely !!’ is closed to new replies.