Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • WiFi Mesh or multiple powerline WAPs
  • Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

We have the free router that came with our broadband. The location of the phone socket means that it lives in a brick cupboard so isn’t particularly great – especially at the furthest reaches of the house. Its got worse (I suspect neighbours are fighting my airspace! – sometimes the Wifi just drops whilst the Ethernet connection is unaffected). Othertimes one device just won’t connect whilst others are fine.

So, do I upgrade to a WiFi Mesh (which one?) or do I get powerline WAPs and use these to extend the WiFi reach? Broadband package could do with renewal to get a competitive price – so if anyone is doing deals that include this sort of stuff, that would be an option.

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

If I were buying today I’d be inclined to go for a MESH set up. Probably the google one.

I’m old-school with multiple access points from routers in bridge mode. They’re connected with cable to switches and then an ASUS router. That connects to a Virgin superhub 4 in modem mode. It’s not a bad router, just that the ASUS is easier to configure.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

Powerlines work fine in my house, and are fairly cheap.

Premier Icon Murray

WiFi mesh is cheap now. I’ve got a Tends Mesh 3 pair and now have good coverage throughout the house and even in the garage

Premier Icon impatientbull

I’m pleased with the Orbi set up we have. Would buy again. Easy to set up, has eliminated “cold” spots in some corners of the house and now get consistency fast speeds everywhere.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Ideally the router should be near the phone socket but you can buy a longer lead and move it nearer the middle of the house (or at least outside the cupboard). I’ve got a powerline WiFi repeater in the garage (at the end of the garden) and it works fine. Was only a fiver

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mesh.

Buggered about with powerlines for years, Mesh is a different league altogether.

Premier Icon leffeboy

The orbi mesh is particularly good as it keeps a spare channel for the backhaul between devices.  Haven’t had any WiFi problems since I’ve fitted it.  Pricey, but it made the problems disappear (for me – your house might be different)

Premier Icon frogstomp

There are also systems which use both (Wifi mesh with Powerline backhaul) – I’ve had the TP-Link Deco P9 system for a couple of months and it has been a big step up in terms of performance and reliability over my previous router + Powerline adapters.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

Got TP-Link Deco P9 too and it’s been great – not cheap but my last set up lasted a good 8 years or so and I only got rid as the manufacture stopped supporting it. Got a mate with one of the cheaper and more popular options (wont mention the make and model here for fear of offending others) and he’s not had such great experiences. You can buy cheaper systems…but you might not want to. But I guess people have varied experiences with conventional wifi setups and its most likely to do with the individuals particular circumstances rather than the actual kit itself.

Premier Icon Neb

I had a similar problem in that phone socket was in a rubbish position for coverage of the entire house. I tried powerline access points however it’s a bit of a pain as if you set them to the same WiFi name, devices aren’t very good at switching between access points. So you be stood next to the upstairs AP while still connected to the downstairs AP with a rubbish signal. The powerlines would often need to be reset.

What fixed it for me was an old BTopenreach modem near the phone socket and a network cable to a decent WiFi router (although the plusnet one was fine) in a better position. Modem cost £8 on eBay and used a spare cat5 cable. I don’t think I’ve reset the modem in 3 years it just does what it needs to.

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

Ideally the router should be near the phone socket but you can buy a longer lead and move it nearer the middle of the house (or at least outside the cupboard).

Historically there was an extension cable on the phone which brought it from that cupboard to a fairly central point. The signal was better then but that was before the neighbours updated theirs. There’s a fault somewhere in that wire (after some building work) it’s not going to be trivial to re-route the cable. I’m not convinced moving it 1m would make that much difference given the design of the house.

Premier Icon pedlad

Mesh here. Remember the primary node plugs into the Ethernet port of the router and you disable the router WiFi. It would probably work fine from the cupboard tbh. If you can drill and wire an Ethernet cable from the router cupboard to the primary mesh node then that sounds like the idea setup tbh.

Premier Icon antigee

used powerline Waps ok for quite some time but depends on use pattern ok for tv (old term but covers) and home office PCs (so last century) but young un’s and visitors roam the house and garden on phones and laptops and mesh works fantastic for this – have Deco’s and app set up is good and easy only downside with Deco was standard pack is 4 (or 3?) found needed 6 but now all ok as in once a month max reboot and every one happy

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

If nothing else I think I have now worked out what “backhaul” means…

Premier Icon spudly1979
    Free Member

Upgraded to a mesh when we moved house and added extra nodes buying via ebay. Its a bit one and works fine, coverage is great and speed is fine even in the far reaches of the house or garden – 160-200mb no problem.

Premier Icon baxy

+1 for Tenda mesh. I tried access points when changed to plusnet but didn’t work for me. Set up 3 node network and it’s been brilliant.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Tenda Mesh here and it’s been great.
    If you are considering a new contract, bt have a system you can get from them as a deal too.

Premier Icon Alphabet

We’ve got BT Whole Home. Works well and we’ve connected a unit via ethernet cable to an outbuilding used as an office to extend WiFi out there.

Premier Icon toomba
    Free Member

Tenda users. In the tenda app can you control what devices are connected? Could be handy if able to disconnect kids devices from the app.

Premier Icon pedlad

Tenda users. In the tenda app can you control what devices are connected? Could be handy if able to disconnect kids devices from the app.

There’s an add to blacklist option, but not sure how easy it is to get it back connected.

I do what you’ve described via google family link app which is very easy to do temporarily (form milbiles anyhow)

Premier Icon bedfordrd

Went with the Orbi mesh system (3 node, tri-band system) and it’s bonkers fast! I can max-out our 200Mbit broadband via wifi all over the house, and can also get 500Mbits+ to my home server (plugged into one of the nodes via Gbit ethernet) from the wifi clients.

If you go mesh, get one with tri-band capability, so the backhaul is on its own frequency.

Tried power-line before I got the mesh, but the results were variable, and never more than 150Mbit even though the Tenda devices are supposed to be Gbit power-line. Mind you, it’s a 1930s house and I have no idea when the wiring was last refreshed.

Premier Icon rossburton

Mesh over powerline for sure!

Premier Icon baxy

Yes, the parental control allows you to set up groups of devices and switch on/off internet access. You can also schedule specific times for internet access.

Premier Icon woody74

Mesh 100%. Got the BT ones. Plug in and they work. No problems in 6 months. Always had endless problems with power line and repeaters. To be pair they are probably one of my best purchases as they just work.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.