Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wifi / Internet / communicating to a home office shed
  • StirlingCrispin

Mrs StirlingCrispin is now locked in her newly built home office shed.

Internet connectivity is cabled through a Cat-5 ethernet socket.
    So that’s her laptop sorted.

But I would also like to give her access to the Wifi for her phone and doorbell camera (still to be bought).
    Ideally I would be able to tannoy her via the Google Home or equivalent – and ideally she could tannoy me back. I work from home upstairs and communication will be simple things like, “Would you a coffee or tea?”

How do I do this last bit?
    Thanks!

nbt

wifi access point plugged into the cat 5 cable in the shed. You can use an old router if you are prepared to faff

see this thread for a similar setup to yours

Ethernet line to the office for dummies

matt_outandabout

How do I do this last bit?

WhatsApp?

saynotoslomo
    Free Member

OR…

Over and out

nbt

this may be useful too

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/whole-home-wi-fi-systems/tenda-nova-mw3-whole-home-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.html

I think each node has a LAN port for loopback which would also enmable connectivity in the shed

they were doing the mw5 for £50 but that’s sold out

onehundredthidiot

Surely just use the phone. How much data will she be using? I look at the blink cameras on my phone and never have issues with running out.

kcal

TP Link access point, sub £20 IIRC.
    as for the rest, messenger surely. No need for Nest or Echo or Alexa / HomePod mini.

oceanskipper

Get an 8 port PoE (to power the AP for WiFi access) unmanaged switch and plug all your devices into that.

Cougar

Swap the laptop for a wireless AP. Get a couple of Amazon Echoes, a Show will give you visibility of a Ring doorbell. “Alexa, announce ‘want a brew, love?'” will play that phrase back across all devices. You can ‘call’ individual ones too I think.

schmiken

I did something similar in my garage. I bought an ethernet switch so I could connect laptop, TV and a wireless access point. In total I think it was about £70 (including switch, cables and access point) but meant a good wireless signal for the Fire Stick, Google Mini and my phone as well as a rock solid connection for Zwifting.

StirlingCrispin

So

Plugged a TP Link access point into the ethernet socket and rebroadcast the wifi.

Doobell is monitored via a Blink camera and an Amazon Echo Show.

Thanks all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wifi / Internet / communicating to a home office shed’ is closed to new replies.