Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • WiFi Help Please
  • doomanic

I’ve got Virgin FTTH M100 with O2 Volt (so double speed). However, the wifi connection to my PS4 and FireStick is occasionally flakey. The Mac appears to be fine, but I’m currently only surfing with it.

Speedtest app would show 180-220 Mbps on average so after a little googling I bought WiFi 6 router, a TP-Link AX3000, and put the Virgin Router 3 in modem mode. This has not been overly successful; I’m now only getting 55-65 Mbps to the Mac, 100-110 Mbps on the phone and the PS4 is reporting 105 Mbps (inbuilt test, not the Speedtest App).

Any idea what’s going on/going wrong?

doomanic

I rebooted the Virgin router which made no difference, then I restarted the Mac and got 222 Mbps twice.

prettygreenparrot

How come you’re getting 100-220Mbps on a 100Mbps connection? Seems like you have nothing to complain about.

I’ve got Virgin FTTH M100 with O2 Volt (so double speed).

If you weren’t getting 220Mbps on the Mac I’d suggest you’re using a crummy cable between modem and router that isn’t Gb-compatible.

Edit. Just looked up the marketing blurb on O2 Volt. Meh. Looks like you’re at the limit with a healthy 222Mbps to your Mac. Congratulations. The PS4 always seems slow compared to other devices. It may be that the download constraint isn’t the connection, but the source: Sony’s servers. Though it might be worth checking the PS4 limits. Does it have Gb-compatible WiFi? Or do you need to connect it with a cable for speeds above 100Mbps?

mattcartlidge

New Mac? If it’s an M1 it will probably be using WiFi 6 (802.11ax) v’s maybe 802.11ac maybe on PS4, Mac most probably using 5ghz,does PS4 support 5ghz or just 2.4ghz? I’d download WiFi explorer to get an idea of signal strength & neighbouring networks as well, might need to switch channels if next door are using the same channel. Also test via wired to prove the broadband connection is good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.