• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wifi gurus … TP powerlinks
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I have tplink Av600 kit going to the garage as even with an extender it was flakey and conf calls were crap if screens were shared.

Fitted the powerline kit and i have 30 meg on the ethernet connection .

when i connect to the powerlink having done the Wireless WPS clone set up in the manual – i still only get about 2meg connection on wireless.

Any clues ?

fettlin

I have one of these kits and seeing similar issues. They are only wifi repeaters, so if you are on the edge of your routers wifi range then that’s why.

If you have an old router then try setting it up as a hotspot in your garage with its own network (from the ethernet). Might work, it’s what I’m going to try when I get round to it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are you actually connecting to the powerline? I’ve got them and usually have to switch the wifi on my phone off/on again when I go to the garage as it doesn’t see the new access point and stays connected (badly) to the router. Not a problem the other way as it loses connection with the power line adapter as soon as you leave the garage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Terry I have 2 or 3 different wifi repeaters/powerline adapters that I don’t use any more since I installed the mesh system, your welcome to them for the price of postage, no worries.

I’ve got a TP Link Extender, which I got for the summer house. You set it up as the same network with .ext on the end – same password etc. With my normal router being quite close to the outside wall facing the garden, I couldn’t find a place to site the extender to sufficiently improve the wi-fi in the summer house. I’ve actually got the extender in the summer house now, as I can get a wi-fi signal in there (just). It does seem to throttle speed though, even though it claims to have very good speed capability.

I’ve since put a TP powerline that I had kicking about (note, these are 2 different types of devices) in the summer house. Despite claims that you have to be on the same circuit – i.e. base device and remote device on the same ring main for example, it’s working fine at almost full speed. The base is on the downstairs ring and the shed is powered on a separate sub-main direct from the consumer unit via an armoured cable

trail_rat
    Free Member

i had a link extender till now but it got on my tits needed reset all the time.

i bought power link which is a combo power line adaptor with a wifi transmitter at the end.

internet goes over the power line great – i get 30meg when connected in the garage hardwire.

when i go on the wireless to the hotspot i get like 2 meg.

ive already changed the channel from 1 – which it was sharing with 4 other networks to 11 which was empty which significantly improved matters with the wifi link extender….

richardk
    Free Member

I’m using a Devolo version, but same principle.  I didn’t do the whole WPS network clone step as I wanted to try it as a separate network first.  It’s running at 30M, slightly lower than the 38M I get from the main connection (upload is exactly the same), so check whic hnetwork you are on.

Assume you are directly conencting to sockets and not using any extension cable?

trail_rat
    Free Member

my understanding was that the internet came down the power line ( working fine) and then was transmitted out by the box of tricks in the garage…..

if its just repeating the pisspoor signal from my original router its going back.

trail_rat
    Free Member

surely if how i have connected doesnt matter if i am getting 30meg wired at the extremity of the system…… surely the power line part is working correctly ? – i am through an extension lead at the house end fwiw but i dont see how that can logically be screwing me

scotroutes

If your phone/laptop is still seeing the signal from your router then it might not be switching to the one from the extender.

fettlin

WPS cloning might be the problem, as it can distinguish between the router and the powerline.

Try THIS and set it up with a different ID/password.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well through complete blind luck…..

Watched it switch between networks naturally on WiFi analyser so was sure it was switching.

I changed the whole lot into Chanel 10 from.11..

Voila. 28 meg wireless in the garage and the van.

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve got one and it’s just a bit sh1t.

That’s all I’ve got!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wifi gurus … TP powerlinks’ is closed to new replies.