• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • WIFI extension Q/can I use an ethernet cable
  • Alex

I’m sure I’ve done this before but can’t remember how.. so a mate has a Netgear Nighthawk router in his house and now has run an ethernet cable into his garage. He wants a second Access Point / SSID extension in this garage.

I know we can do it via WIFI extender (but the wifi from the house is weak by the time it gets to the garage so could be unreliable) or PowerLine. But I thought you could buy something that’d use the Ethernet cable as a transport. Then hang a second AP off there. So basically extend the network from the primary router.

Experiences of powerline aren’t great in terms of bw, also not sure it’s all on the same phase. So would rather use the ethernet cable. Any ideas?

toby1

AP info I think you are right, this link has some actual facts though.

Alex

Cheers Toby. I was being an idiot and confusing my APs with my extenders. Hard to believe i used to do this sort of thing for a living.

So it’ll be a different SSID but essentially just bridged to the primary router. Few good AP options as well for wall/ceiling mounting esp if I can find him a PoE switch that I know I’ve got knocking about somewhere.

xora

So it’ll be a different SSID

It can be the same SSID/password if you want devices just just automagically switch (although some devices are just horrendously broken in that regard)

jkomo

Some Wi-fi extenders also have a Ethernet cable input. Did this in office, plug and play easy.

Superficial
    Free Member

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Get one of these. They’re designed for PoE so they come with the PoE injector (you should check, but mine did). That will be a very simple solution that works perfectly.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Ethernet would be better as it’s a separate access point but the backhaul to the router would be over the Ethernet, set it’s ssid and password the same as the main router.

I’ve turned the WiFi off on my router and use 2 BT discs both connect to the main router by Ethernet which give me a whole home mesh network, works very well.

Aidy
    Free Member

Get one of these. They’re designed for PoE so they come with the PoE injector (you should check, but mine did). That will be a very simple solution that works perfectly.

I like unifi kit, but I’m not sure I’d describe it as a simple solution!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘WIFI extension Q/can I use an ethernet cable’ is closed to new replies.