Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 211 total)
  • Wife's unexpectedly pregnant. And l'm not happy….
  • hora
    Free Member

No my face/looks did/does that 🙂

ormondroyd
    Free Member

im sorry not trying to wind you up but it always makes me laugh we people say..

” It was unplanned “

Why? You know that no method is 100% effective, right? So any couple using birth control, however carefully/capably, has a small chance of unplanned pregnancy.

hora
    Free Member

If contraception ‘failed’ …surely there would have been many scares/pregnancies in said partners teens onwards..

Takes the pill for a decade then oops it doesnt work

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Op: it will all work out. Your life has barely begun and you have so far to go. Don’t worry.

duirdh
    Free Member

hora are you a retard?
    The Pill is not 100% effective, a scare is a failure, been there, got the child

Wookster

Hello,

Right firstly MTFU, yes it’s unplanned yes it’s F###ing epically scary, life changing but you’ve done it now. You love your wife, you’re happy (I assume?) so you’ll be a dad.

Worrying about bonding is fine, I was never one of these we’re pregnant Dad’s that’s not me, but once it arrives you’ll start to bond, relax it will take a bit of time but love it and start to build a relationship.

You’re wife needs support she’s feeling shocked too, and vulnerable, again it’s you’re job to step up mate.

I won’t Bull##it you it’s tough, money and energy sapping, the small person will demand a huge amount of time, she’ll( your wife) be wrecked you’ll be wrecked that’s life.

On the plus side it’s great, the mini you will be a right laugh as they get bigger, time flies and actually pull get to ride your bike etc etc.honestly I can relate, hence the rough points above (I got this chat you see) I wouldn’t trade either of my two or the world nd riding my bike with a four year old mini me and getting ice cream is as good as the best trails, road races I’ve ever done I know this doesn’t make sence right now!

You’ll be great mate, chill. 😀

northernmatt

I don’t come on here much, in fact the last time I did I tried pissed maths to work out how much water would fit in a seattube. I was wrong, but I’m back now because OP needs to get a grip. We had our first last year, I was 29, I didn’t think I was ready but she wanted one, a lot. I’ll be honest yes things change but a lot of it is for the better. You go on about all the things you’ll miss but once that screaming pooing bundle of squidgyness arrives and it looks directly into your soul nothing else will matter. That stuff will still be there but just not as often because you’ll be having too much fun being a dad.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its a very hard thing to get your head round. Having children is one very big scary step into the unknown and i dont think you are ever really ready to have them. TBH i wouldnt want to be leaving it much later than 30 years old to start having them. I think if your partner/wife is happy and that you had planned to one day have children together then run with it. Once you see that little heart beating when you have the 1st scan you will start to come round. When you hold your 1st child for the 1st time and start blubbing with emotion and pride.. you wont ever want to go back in time and change it.

Mrs cloudnine is due our 3rd baby (we have a 2 and 4 year old)and its probably going to be tonight or in the next few days. Im still bricking it just like the other times. Im not ready for a 3rd child..

dazzlingboy

Felt exactly the same as you when I was 29. Didn’t have kids till I was 37. Have spent last 5 years wishing I’d had kids when I was 29. Once you’re there you’ll love it – all the things you mention like travel will still happen – but you’ll have much better things to focus on.

hora
    Free Member

Duirdh of course dear of course. Its in your system longterm ‘Im more fertile than other girls’ doesnt wash. 15/16yr and Uni girls have accidents not professional responsible women.

Chump x

duirdh
    Free Member

that’s clearly a “yes” then.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ampthill’s last 2 comments are absolutely spot on and are all the op needs to know about.

hora
    Free Member

…or ‘my Doc says I need a break from the pill dear’ … 😉

Gunz
    Free Member

I thought a child would rob me of spare time and to be honest the pre-school years are hard. However, I now work full time, am studying for a Masters, training for a half-Ironman, renovating an old house and doing the Dad thing.
    Becoming a parent doesn’t stop you doing stuff – it makes you a time efficiency guru. I’m amazed at the amount of life I wasted when childless (I caveat this by saying if you are one of those who don’t want them then more power to you).
    To the OP, you have abvious concerns but you sound pretty decent and with a continued desire for adventure you’ll make a great Dad – all the best.

duirdh
    Free Member

WTF are you winking at? or is that just part of your “condition”?

hora
    Free Member

Calm down dear. Have you not got your coital rights back yet.

Note its not a question.

labsey
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but I’ve read a fair bit.

MTFU. Now that’s out the way; don’t panic, you’ll be fine. Plenty of time to start looking at bike trailers and child seats. Now go and be nice to your wife.

neiloxford
    Free Member

My honest view, I would be feeling the same right now, but find the positives and run with it. If struggling with that, go speak with priest/doctor/dad/similar if your struggling as they are there to help with this sort of thing.

redthunder
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBjsFAyiwA[/video]

totalshell

you are not alone.. the only difference is you ve put pen to papaer and told the world what your thinking..

i suspect all first time dads when hearing the news unexpectedly think much the same.

i was 40 when the first came along.. i was too young.. too immature .. too many man toys to give up..

but when i held my daughter for the first time my life changed so much for the better so much and i thought it was good before..

tip no. 1. start saving today.. me and her put a grand away each month for the 8 months which emeant we had a handy nest egg to dig into during the first year.. and DO EVERTHING it says in the books dont miss a single anti natal class be there for the birth ( but dont look) and avoid the mrs holding your hand .. she ll break your fingers

other than that its all gravy.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My daughter decided to make an appearance only just over a year after my wife and I married and when I was only 22. We hadn’t planned having kids that early but after an initial panic it was all good – and with hindsight I reckon it was better having our kids early. Now at 44 my kids are 21 and 17 (this week) and we can start having a life as a couple again, while we’re still reasonably young.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Was a bit scary when i found out my Girlfiend(then) was pregnant and i was 25.lost a few nights of sleep thinking about it,but absolutely no regrets,from the day he was born.
    Looking back was amazing,also have a daughter now aswell who is 12.

39 soon (Saturday) amazing part of my life..

Brings you back to the real world..

TiRed

My father died at 29, so one of my desires was to be a father by 30. In today’s society, you’ll be pretty young, but that brings its own benefits. In 15 years time your offspring can goad you for avoiding that black run! Well mine does, anyway.

Seriously, Just face your new responsibilities head on. Get involved and expect to ride a little less, or at least diiferently (i used to take a 6am ride around the farms with son1 😯 )

neiloxford
    Free Member

Twins insurance is something to consider. A friend of mine wishes he had !

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’m 32 and don’t want to have children. If I were in your situation I’d be gutted.

You need to explain to her how you feel. This isn’t a time for being polite and burying your head in the sand. The “you’ll understand when you have kids” line is one of the most patronising pieces of advice in history.

Bring on the male pill.

anotherone
    Free Member

Just logged in under a new name too.

Just to add another perspective –

My other half put the positive test thing in front of me yesterday too.

I can’t claim to be going through quite the same range of emotions (yet?), although I am shit scared and so is she. And i clearly am in no position to offer advice. But one of the things that strikes me is that for 12 weeks I’m under strict instructions not to tell anyone. For all the right reasons of course (what are the chances of us getting there from here? I have no real idea) but bottling this up seems weird enough when I’m signed up to the idea of sprogs. If I wasn’t I reckon I’d need a vent.

What’s my point? I’m not in great shape for considered discussion on the subject so i dunno really, except to say there’s probably not a single person he can talk to about this. I can talk to my other half at least. There will be soon enough but in the meantime this place is doing a great job.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Please just man the **** up, you were there when it happened (I assume) so accept the responsibility.

muggomagic

I skipped straight to the end so apologies if I’m repeating.
    I don’t blame you for being apprehensive as it’s a big change in your life. The quicker you get your head round the fact that this is happening and that things are going to be different (not bad, just different) then the more you will actually enjoy this. If you don’t then you will regret it as it’s actually quite an exciting time.
    Why not try and create a blog of the pregnancy etc as your child will really appreciate that when they are old enough to read it. It will give you something to focus on rather than worrying.

nonk
    Free Member

Hey look mate it’s great once you stop thinking about yourself.
    Best of luck.
    Most of the stuff you think is important now will soon seem pointless bollox

leenightingale
    Free Member

this is just my opinion and im no expert but i think you should just take a breath and relax for a moment.
    When my wife was first pregnant i felt just like you, i wanted to find the nearest exit and make a quick getaway. All my thoughts related to myself and what i would lose, all the early experience resolved around my wife and not me. I was used to being the centre of attention and i resented the change of priority, i didnt like my wife’s body becoming medical property either.

I think these feelings are just natural ‘man panic’ and you need to accept that if she says she is having the baby then you WILL be a DAD!

Those feelings and insecurities will disappear when you see your child and they will be replaced by a strength of love that you will find far scarier than anything you are experiencing today. You just wont understand the old you after you meet the little chap/chapess and you will never be the same again….you will be better! As a DAD you will have a changed outlook on life that will improve everything you do. The experience will be hard but the rewards will be beyond anything you have so far experienced

…………well thats what it was like for me 🙂

Your life is not over, our boy has more air miles in his first year than i had in my whole childhood, he’s been to canada for 2 months in an RV, he’s been skiing, he’s been around europe and hes not 1 year old! Yes it was harder for us but i find we forget the pain very quickly now. This can be your reality, you have to step up to the role, own the role, all children need a great DAD!

You will be a great DAD, switch of your doubts and wait, i promise you will change your view completely once you have had a chance to meet your baby 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what are the chances of us getting there from here? I have no real idea

I’m guessing if you’ve just tested positive, your missus will want to be going to a doctor to confirm (though the tests are so accurate these days that the one the doctor does is only marginally more so) that she is indeed pregnant. As long as she takes it easy and doesn’t do anything stupid, there are plenty of resources online to help her make it through the first trimester.

If you really want to keep it a secret, there are steps you can take. e.g. avoid big communal dinners out where you may have to start asking waiters silly questions about pasteurised and unpasteurised cheese; shellfish, etc. (bear in mind, these are not dangerous to the foetus in itself, the idea is to avoid food poisoning completely, or at least minimise the risk). If your missus is a big drinker and any mates/family might be surprised that she has to avoid alcohol, then have a story prepared…antibiotics are a good one…for something harmless like a root canal treatment that’s coming up. She may well be completely knackered and puking a lot so again, she’ll need to keep well hydrated at work and possibly make up some food poisoning stories.

Finally, if you have a hundred quid spare, and have a BUPA (or similar) type hospital nearby, you can have a scan at “eight” weeks (you will soon understand the arbitrarily irrationality of the whole dating thing)…eight weeks being around six weeks after conception, as the “how many weeks” thing is calculated from the date of the last period. If the ultrasound person scans a strong heartbeat at that stage, then you have something like a 95% chance of making it to term.

Having said all the above, the conditions that cause her not to make it to that first scan have already probably already been laid down. And if she doesn’t, it’s normally for the best of both the unborn and the mum. Assume everything will be ok, but you should prepare yourself for the chance that it may not be. (Just speaking as someone who’s been there a few times.)

Anyway, hope all that shite helps.

bwaarp
    Free Member

At first I was going to give a sensible reply….then I read a few answers like this

Not something ill ever relate to and gut instinct was to reply with a ‘MTFU’ but ….. it probably is scary but kids aren’t the end of your life, there are worse things that could happen and although its not the adventure you originally had planned with your wife, it’s a different adventure that you will probably enjoy just as much. I’ve only ever met 1 or 2 people that regretted having their children an they have some other very serious issues. Talk to your wife, she’s probably bricking it as much as you.

Quick, join the Foreign Legion whilst your still young enough.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If contraception ‘failed’ …surely there would have been many scares/pregnancies in said partners teens onwards..

Well, yes.

Takes the pill for a decade then oops it doesnt work

Yep. Happened to a close relative. Can be as simple as a minor stomach upset.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ormondroyd – Member
    Well, yes.

Just read the number of wasn’t expecting it but posts on this thread!! It’s not an exact science especially when you add alcohol and memory etc.

yetanother
    Free Member

Yet another account here, but my other half and I are currently looking at another positive test this morning (Did we all run out of money, and stop going out, after Christmas?)

My perspective: I was in a not too brilliant long term relationship in which I never really expected to have a baby as she was so against. That all ended about three years ago, and I’m now with a wonderful girl and life is pretty damn great. I’m 37 now, and for the last few years this amazing new possibility has been there… but it’s been a rough ride in a way. It’s taken over 18 months, and we’ve wondered what to do if nothing happens. Well now it’s happened.

And yep, even if it’s something you really want, it’s still scary. But I’d really second the fact that there’s NO right time, because the waiting for some “right” time might mean missing out on something actually happening, if the numbers aren’t in your particular favour. At 29 you don’t know if it’s going to take a month or years. Bear in mind it’s also a few years earlier that your kid(s) will be grown up. I’ll be going on 60. That’s fine, but I’ve seen people who had kids younger than I will (touch wood) have something of a “second youth” in terms of sporty activity, often shared with eager young adult kids.

Am I ready for it? Not sure anyone ever is, completely, but it’s still going to be fun getting there. Now it’s the hoping-for-the-best bit.

billyboy
    Free Member

On the plus side………….the kid should be away by the time you are 50 so there will still be time to do all that shit you are going to miss out on in the short term.

Congratulations…………… by the way

tazzymtb

I don’t blame you for being apprehensive as it’s a big change in your life. The quicker you get your head round the fact that this is happening and that things are going to be different (not bad, just different) then the more you will actually enjoy this. If you don’t then you will regret it as it’s actually quite an exciting time.

different perspective, having a child put a us under a massive strain and killed a 20 year marriage. Some people are just not meant to be or don’t want to be parents. The hole evangelical thing about the wonders of parenthood can just be so much bollox. Do what is right for you, not what society expects of you. they can be very different things.

best of luck

millcar
    Free Member

Same situation 6years plus 9mths ago next week.

Same feelings, took me a good 6 weeks to get my head around things. Felt and thought much the same and more in some ways as others who’ve posted.

My experience has not been as I feared or you describe. I still do pretty much what I did before (climb mountaineer ski ride drink beer and eat food) These things have been joined by a whole range of new things which are equally engaging and bring me as much happiness.

Much of your detachment to children will evaporate the first time your baby locks on your eyes and smiles. You will NEVER have another feeling like this.

I felt pretty bad for feeling like that for a good while but really its a getting used to it phase which will be replaced.

I can only echo these sage words

1. your life will not be over when the child arrives, you just need to be a bit more organised.

2. It is highly likely you will feel different towards the child when it arrives.

3. Try and be supportive to your mrs as imgine how it feels for her right new expecting her (first i assume) child*

* – Think a bit how your doubts are being felt by her too. My Mrs on finding out burst into tears as she was sure I’d be packing my bags… 🙁

mrsi
    Free Member

I’m about 8 months further down the line, similar age to the OP, first one due in the next few weeks. Things I have learned:

1. Even if you planned it, it still feels pretty f***in’ scary, fear of being a crap parent seems to be pretty universal.

2. Fun does not have to stop, I know a lot of folk with very small kids who manage to ride bikes, snowboard and even make it to the pub on occasion.

3. I may well be fabulously naive in my interpretation of point 2, but lets look on the bright side!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Wife's unexpectedly pregnant. And l'm not happy….’ is closed to new replies.