Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wife’s mobile phone, my notifications.
  • Davesport

Confusing one this. My wife’s phone is receiving my notifications from my Linkedin & Youtube accounts.

The background to this. My wife got my hand-me-down HTC1, completely factory reset, with her own SIM. All good, no issues. This died & she replaced it with a new Samsung, same SIM & this is when the notifications started. The Samsung phone got destroyed in a cycling off & was replaced by a new Huawei still using the same SIM. I get the notifications to my phone but it’s puzzling me how this can happen. She doesn’t have Linkedin or Youtube installed on her phone. The notifications persist. This isn’t causing me any issues but her indoors is getting the hump.

Any ideas other than destroying the phone?

Poopscoop

Odd, but as a work around surely you can turn the notification off in settings?

Google phone here though, not had a Samsung in a while.

alpin
    Free Member

Hopefully she doesn’t end up getting your tinder notifications, too.

Davesport

Hopefully she doesn’t end up getting your tinder notifications, too.

It’s the ones from Grindr that are concerning me \o/

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It’s the ones from Grindr that are concerning me \o/

she’s however not surprised at these, and has probably known for years

Cougar

My wife’s phone is receiving my notifications from my Linkedin & Youtube accounts.

She doesn’t have Linkedin or Youtube installed on her phone.

She’s not receiving notifications from those apps then. What is she receiving them from? Synced Chrome browser? What happens when she tries to open them?

chrisyork

Have you gone into the accounts and essentially removed any sync’d devices? So a bit like with things like Facebook you can remove old devices that previously had access. You’ll have to probably go deep into the security settings

joshvegas
    Free Member

Chrome is a cockbag for notifications that you might think are coming from an app.

Facebook in particular. For instance i can see one at the top of this screen now. But have never had Facebook installed on this phone. I didn’t even log into facebook i used the login to log into something else.

matt_outandabout

As above, check Chrome as it can be a pain for ‘helpfully’ remembering log in detail and then pumping out notifications.

Davesport

Ok, thanks for the useful pointers. I’m still investigating.

She’s not receiving notifications from those apps then. What is she receiving them from? Synced Chrome browser? What happens when she tries to open them?

I’ve not tried opening them yet as MrsDavesport’s been deleting them. I’ll try this and see what happens.

Have you gone into the accounts and essentially removed any sync’d devices? So a bit like with things like Facebook you can remove old devices that previously had access. You’ll have to probably go deep into the security settings

Chrome is a cockbag for notifications that you might think are coming from an app.

Facebook in particular. For instance i can see one at the top of this screen now. But have never had Facebook installed on this phone. I didn’t even log into facebook i used the login to log into something else.

As above, check Chrome as it can be a pain for ‘helpfully’ remembering log in detail and then pumping out notifications.

I’ll check out the above & have a delve into her phone to see if I can find out why this is happening.

savoyad

Long press the notification. That should tell you (if you can’t tell at first glance) which app it’s coming from.

Davesport

Long press the notification. That should tell you (if you can’t tell at first glance) which app it’s coming from.

Ta.

chrisyork

Not just on her phone, login to the accounts on a computer and check that there are no only devices being sync’d through

spooky_b329

Yep log in to your linked in and YouTube accounts and check, sometimes it will show you the devices that are logged in and force them to log off (you definitely can on Facebook)

Davesport

Not just on her phone, login to the accounts on a computer and check that there are no only devices being sync’d through

Yep log in to your linked in and YouTube accounts and check, sometimes it will show you the devices that are logged in and force them to log off (you definitely can on Facebook)

The mystery deepens. So today I had several DM’s on Linkedin. None of these notifications appeared on Mrs Davesport’s phone. I’ve gone through the log-in’s on Linkedin and logged off everything and logged back in again on my phone & Lappy. There was one for my laptop & three for android devices. There’s no sign of any odd log-in’s or linked accounts on Chrome or Youtube that I could find. I’ve asked to have a look next time she gets a notification.

Thanks for the help :o)

Flaperon

I factory reset an Android phone a couple of years ago. I gave it to my dad and all seemed normal for about two weeks until it randomly repopulated the Messages app with five years worth of my message history.

This is despite the phone being both encrypted, wiped through the bootloader, and having my Google account details removed first. A second factory reset fixed it, but the moral of the story is that when Google (and OnePlus in this case) say that your stuff is encrypted they’re not being truthful.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Moral of the story Flaperon is that you should acetylene torch your phone, not give it away – if you don’t want your sordid sexting to come to light 😀

I jest, but I’m a little surprised that people think that factory resetting a phone actually means you’ve deleted its contents. Nothing is ever deleted.

woody2000

She’s logged into chrome with your Google account details and is checking your emails 😉

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

😀

Word of advice, write down 100 random words, number them and use a random number generator to pick six of them. Use those as your password.

Your devious wife won’t hack into your chrome account ever again.

Davesport

She’s logged into chrome with your Google account details and is checking your emails 😉

Word of advice, write down 100 random words, number them and use a random number generator to pick six of them. Use those as your password.

Your devious wife won’t hack into your chrome account ever again.

If only it were that simple! I know she’s logged into her own Chrome account. I’ve got no issues that need concealing & she’d never guess or ask what my Chrome password is but has full access to my phone anyway as everyone in the house knows the pin to unlock it.

For now I’m just waiting on the next notification popping up so I can have a closer look.

Flaperon

I jest, but I’m a little surprised that people think that factory resetting a phone actually means you’ve deleted its contents. Nothing is ever deleted.

Must disagree. Factory resetting a modern phone also means deleting the encryption key. At that point the data, if encrypted properly, is gone forever. What this showed is that OnePlus just bodged the entry in the Settings that said “Encryption: On”.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Heh.

And you validated the implementation and do so for all phones you buy, do you?

See the bit you posted about One Plus bodging the settings.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wife’s mobile phone, my notifications.’ is closed to new replies.