Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wife’s Introduction to touring/bikepacking
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

How’s this little trip sound to folk who are familiar with the John Muir Way?

Drive to Dunbar in the morning, park car up and then jump on the train 🚉 to Helensburgh. Should arrive about 1pm.

Day 1: Cycle to campsite in Falkirk.
    Day 2: visit the wheel then cycle to Prestonpan Campsite.
    Day 3: cycle to finish in Dunbar. Bikes in car then home.

I think they’re pretty short days,but what’s the cycling like? Will be on gravel/hybrid bikes and the wife isn’t really a cyclist but is much fitter that I am and is happy with multi day hiking trips.

We will be getting as much saddle time as possible before then, with hopefully a couple of overnights to break her in 😂

mrhoppy

You’re nicer than me, I’m taking mine to do Jennride.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Maybe next year, if our marriage survives this trip!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donald
    Free Member

I’ve done it over 2 days staying overnight in a hotel in linlithgow. 3 days will be more than enough. Prestonpans to Dunbar is more like a half day tbh. Perhaps stopping short of falkirk on evening 1 would work out slightly better if you’re starting after lunch.
    I did it on a touring bike. I was a little under-tyred for the west highland way / strathblane section which has some rough bits, the bigger tyres you have the better. From north Berwick to Dunbar some of the official route goes over some footpaths and farm tracks. Nothing difficult but these can be avoided on quiet back roads if you prefer.

Have a pint at the volunteer arms when you finish 🙂

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Thanks donald, that’s the kind of thing I’m looking to find out. We’re both running 42mm tyres, hopefully that’ll be enough. We’ll be pretty lightly packed too.

Night 1 will probably be at ‘the Wheel’ campsite just outside of Falkirk.

Night 2 at Drummohr campsite, giving us a nice short day 3.

Only one of us can drive home… So it would be a shame if the other couldn’t have a celebration pint 🍻

tjagain

When east of edinburgh some of the John Muir way is not cyclable – you are better on the road thru longniddry – however as the road turns sharp right away from the coast after gosford house get back onto the path – the entry is tricky to spot but then there is a really nice path alongside the road. You go over the bridge just behind the silver van https://goo.gl/maps/PuDmJnivjbwCWnbN8

I know loads of gravel bits around Edinburgh if you want more

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Thanks TJ, I’ll keep an aye out for that.

I’ve downloaded the bikepacking Scotland John muir way route, so imagine we’ll be following that mostly.

Booked the campsites and train, but scotrail not letting me reserve bikes. So it’s just a case of turn up, and if there is space we can get on with the bikes. Kinda worrying

tjagain

its very very rare a scotrail guard will not let you on the train.

donald
    Free Member

If you want to go almost entirely off road from longniddry to Dunbar then:
    1. Longniddry to haddington on old rail path, easy going.
    2.haddington to east linton via Tyne river footpath. Easy xc mountain biking, slightly challenging for 1st time spouses? 1 carry up flight of steps.
    3. East linton to west barns on John Muir way.

slowol

Sounds great. Never too many stops. 2nd breakfast, coffee, lunch, tea, wander round a nice bit etc. But you knew that anyway.
    Hope the weather plays fair!
    Also check the bail out options in case the weather goes full British Bank Holiday on you. Trains can be total life / relationship savers.

bearGrease

Cycle to campsite in Falkirk

There lies the fatal flaw in your plan.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cycle to campsite in Falkirk

There lies the fatal flaw in your plan.

Can’t be that bad, is it? 😂 Though walking through many city centres these days is a grim experience.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Just a wee heads up – there are a couple of sections of the John Muir way between Burncrooks Reservoir and Strathblane that are a little less straightforward.

Just as you arrive at Burncrooks from the NW, the path splits, with the JMW heading SW around the reservoir. That path has some very steep, punchy little climbs and corresponding descents. The other option is to take the road round the N side of the reservoir, which has a steep descent and climb just after the fence, but then is much more straightforward.You can opt to turn south onto the new forest road which skirts the east side of Kilmannan reservoir, then runs down the line of the Auldmurroch Burn to Carbeth. Going this way avoids the track from Auchineden, which can be very muddy and badly chopped up by farm traffic.The new forest road isn’t marked on older OS maps.
    Both options spit you out at St Mocha’s in Carbeth – a new drive through coffee shop which does great food and drink.

The second section to consider skirting is the ‘Rosie’s Road’ climb up from the east side of Carbeth Loch up towards Boards Farm. It’s relatively short, but quite loose and rough, so might involve a push, especially on a loaded bike. The alternative would be to carry on from Carbeth Loch out and down the B821 towards Blanefield – just short of the village, there’s an old railway line marked on the OS map which is now a wide, well surfaced path which takes you along to rejoin the JMW.

Once you reach the track between Strathblane and Milton of Campsie, you’re on a well surfaced path with a slight downhill gradient most of the way. If you’re in the mood for another coffee, Milton of Campsie has a lovely wee coffee shop called the Fells – when you reach the old station, head up the steps (or the ramp sligtly further on) and head up the main road for about 300m to the junction. The coffee shop is on the corner.

If you have a mechanical – I live in MofC and work from home most days, and have a reasonably well equipped bike workshop.

If any of the above is as clear as mud, bung me an email, and I’ll mark the routes on some screenshot maps for you.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Thanks ditch_jockey, very comprehensive and helpful. Very kind offer too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wife’s Introduction to touring/bikepacking’ is closed to new replies.