Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Wife's employer no longer supplying comms for home based role
  • Dark-Side

My wife works for a rather large media owner in a home based role. She has just been informed the company will no longer pay for her/supply internet access or landline. They do provide a Blackberry but the role requires almost permanent internet access and she spends 95% of her working day on a company supplied laptop.It seems unfair to me that they expect her to use our own personal resources (ie home broadband) to generate revenue in the region of £1.5 million for the company.

Is this standard practice nowadays?

somouk
    Free Member

I work for an internet security company from home and they’ve never provided home broadband.

It’s seen as something everyone has these days anyway so why should they give it you.

njee20
    Free Member

Tether her Blackberry and use that for internet use? It’s what I often do at home/travelling as our laptops are rubbish at connecting to wifi!

That said… I imagine you’d have broadband anyway? Whilst it’s a bit petty of them it’s not really the end of the world is it. Plenty are unlimited anyway, so the actual amount of use isn’t an issue, particularly as one assumes she’s doing emails etc, rather than downloading HD films all day…?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustyMac

Does she work solely from home?

I know with my job if I choose to work from home it is on my own Internet connection not subsidised by the company. I do however have a desk in an office and access to the Internet there.

weeksy

I work for one of the largest Telecomms companies on the planet, we have to pay for our own BB.

I save more in fuel costs from not having to drive to the office than I spend on BB.

nemesis
    Free Member

It seems rather harsh but that’s possibly old thinking – when working from home you don’t expect your water and heating bills to be paid for and nowadays, BB is probably a service just the same.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I know with my job if I choose to work from home it is on my own Internet connection not subsidised by the company. I do however have a desk in an office and access to the Internet there.

+1

I save more in fuel costs from not having to drive to the office than I spend on BB.

+1 to that too

BigJohn

When I work from home I always poo in a bucket which I keep and take in to the office for my monthly visit. Saves using my own water to flush it.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

If you’ve already got it, id take it on the chin. Its got to be better than doing the daily commute?

tomd
    Free Member

It sounds a bit like a perk that’s been taken away. Presumably you’d be paying for your own internet and phone for your own use anyway if it wasn’t provided for free? It doesn’t cost any extra unless she needs a really fast connection.

binners

I can understand you being a bit miffed. If I didn’t need broadband for working from home, then I wouldn’t bother with it. I can’t see me, the missus, or the kids having any use for it at all. I’m sure you’re the same. So why should you have to pay for it? Its really, really expensive too nowadays.

Seems pretty unfair to me. I’d kick off then leave.

mark90
    Free Member

This. It’s time and cost beneficial for me personally to work from home. Though I do have office available if I choose to, which I don’t unless have to. Work supply me with a mobile phone an laptop, the rest is up to me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You could make a big fuss of it, but really would you cut yourself off if they weren’t paying for it?

Anyway, at least she’ll be able to off-set the cost against her income tax – P87 if you can be bothered.

nuke

My wife works from home some days: company supplies the laptop and BlackBerry, we provide the broadband. Tbh thought that was the norm and never considered company would pay

^ this. One peak return rail ticket to my wifes office is more than we sprnd on broadband in a month

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Anyway, at least she’ll be able to off-set the cost against her income tax – P87 if you can be bothered.

Not if you use your broadband for private use too.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

njee20
    Free Member

My wife works for a rather large media owner in a home based role

I think this is the pertinent bit, she’s not choosing to work at home, so costs saved by not going into the office etc are a bit irrelevant. I know our home based people (big insurance company) do get a contribution to their broadband etc, and even printers and ink and stuff like that. Obviously if I just choose to work from home then I don’t get any of that.

Still think you’d be paying it anyway though, so it’s a bit of a pain rather than anything else!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Think it might be something to do with new inland revenue rules. We used to get our broadband paid for but it stopped last year.

I presume you would have internet access anyway so hardly a big deal.

weeksy

I think this is the pertinent bit, she’s not choosing to work at home, so costs saved by not going into the office etc are a bit irrelevant. I know our home based people (big insurance company) do get a contribution to their broadband etc, and even printers and ink and stuff like that. Obviously if I just choose to work from home then I don’t get any of that.

Works great right up until she causes a fuss and they say

“ok, your home based role is now office based”…

Enjoy that 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t she connect the lappy to the blackberry and use the 3G thingy connection?
    That’s what I’d do (if I knew how to do it, or if it could be done)

geoffj

One issue to consider is the quality of the connection. I had a business broadband connection provided by my employer a few years ago. When it went tits up, the response was commensurate with the amount being paid for it – it got fixed quicker.

Other than that what they said ^

Speshpaul

Its really down to why she works from home.
    If her employer has offered homeworking as part of office/desk reduction programme then they are making big savings in having her work from home. So being a bit cheeky.
    If she works from home to save on commuting, but still has a desk, then you are still on the up.

IHN

My wife has a home-based role, she uses our broadband.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Should the company also supply the leccy for the laptop as well? It seems fair enough.

Dark-Side

The role is home based because the office is in London and the clients my wife is responsible for are in the North of England (as are we). They did actually provide a subsidy for energy bills too, recognising that we incur additional costs from her being at home for the majority of the day but this stopped some time ago.

Its not a big issue at all,I’m just surprised that what I see as tools required to do the job are no longer being provided on the assumption that we can already have them ourselves. As someone pointed out earlier maybe its an old fashioned point of view from when we were not so well connected with cheap unlimited broadband etc…

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

My employer used to supply/pay for a business landline/broadband (it was in my contract) until about a year ago, now I’m expected to use my own

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If she needed an expensive business line for her work I would understand but if all is required is a cheap home broadband line then who cares?

MoreCashThanDash

I work for the government, they install a line for homeworkers as part of our security paranoia. Wife works for local authority, has access to far more sensitive data than I would, she happily uses our own internet/WiFi.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’m a telecoms worker and for the past 10 years I’ve always had my phone and broadband paid for. That said I’ve always had a car/van and pay very little towards it.

binners

Hang on minute? You’re in the north? I see your problem then. When I work for clients in London, it costs me a bloody fortune in carrier pigeons!! The sooner we get that electrickery stuff up here the better!!!

33tango

Can’t she visit the Office monthly and steal something to the value of the monthly BB bill? You could then sell said item on Ebay or give it away as a gift.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like a matter for the union. Is she in one?

Gary_M
    Free Member

“ok, your home based role is now office based”…

Or you’re now home based, with no role 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per @weeksy’s post a good mate of mine has worked from home for 10 years, same deal – he pays for internet access but saves a fortune in money, time and hassle in not commuting to an office.

OP sounds like the company is trying to cut costs, they are entitled to. Your wife should claim all her phone calls though.

br
    Free Member

Years ago at a firm I worked for the FD said that we shouldn’t be paying for home internet connections (even where we needed it) as HMRC could see it as BIK.

Del

yet if you were self employed working from home you’d be entitled to offset energy bills and other costs directly related to your work against tax?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

My missus pays for the broadband and I have a fuel card. WIll I die?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

By working at home your wife is incurring costs that would otherwise be met by the company, heating, lighting, office space, telephone and broadband. As has been stated many times you would have to have all of these things with the possible exception of an office space at home anyway but you are going to be either using more units (heating, lighting) or need to be on a tariff that allows for greater usage (telephone, broadband) than you would otherwise need for normal domestic use. As your wife is employed to work from home for this role the benefit of not incurring travel costs is irrelevant.

Whether you make a fuss all depends on the existing salary and how much the additional costs work out to be compared with the salary to be gained from alternative employment in your local area. If your wife is drawing a city centre salary but you’re living in a cheaper part of the country then you may still be quids in.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sounds like a matter for the union.

Why? In the first instance is a reasonable conversation with a manager or HR representative not the first port of call, if you truly feel it is unreasonable. Maybe it’s just because I don’t come from an industry that is particularly unionised (advertising and media, ironically), but I don’t see why an issue like this is one for the union at this stage, when it can be dealt with yourself.

For what it’s worth I think their change is reasonable, frustrating yes, but reasonable. I think it’s only reasonable for them to foot the bill for things where there is an additional cost to you having them to do your job, these days broadband is not one of those things as it is reasonable to expect people will have this in their home anyway, just like I wouldn’t expect them to contribute towards a chair or table for her to sit at.

chakaping
    Free Member

change in policy affecting all workers in same position

collective representation

contacting the union doesn’t automatically mean being antagonistic BTW, you should not read it as such

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Wife's employer no longer supplying comms for home based role’ is closed to new replies.