Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wifes birthday,what washing machine?
  • duckman

Having seen the lemon that was our outgoing hotpoint work to rule for the last few months I thought I would buy the little lady one for her birthday,after all, she is only 40 once!….actually who am I kidding? The only part of the above that is true is how gash the washing machine has been.Any suggestions? We are going to spend about £450 on the machine and a bit more on the 3 year cover.Any advice/recomendations would be welcome.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bosch.

£450???

wwaswas

one of these, anything else is spoiling them;

samuri
    Free Member

We've just bought the big load candy for about 350. It's got this massive door and take about 8Kg or something crazy. The wife can do the washing much quicker now leaving her more time to make dinner and fetch me beer.

skidartist
    Free Member

one of these, anything else is spoiling them;

But if its here birthday she's allowed to fit the plug as a treat

Nick

Our Hotpoint is ace, been swallowing mud covered clothing for nigh on a dozen years without missing a beat. The trick appears to be to descale them once a year and don't change programmes with the thing actually on.

wwaswas

they plug in?

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Bosch or Zanussi. I know an electrician who fixes them, he told me.

Macavity
    Free Member

Miele

wwaswas

we had a nightmare with an integrated AEG one but Bosch have always been fine.

bruneep

stay away from Hotpoint, sounds like a tin box with loose bolts being rattled about.

skidartist
    Free Member

they plug in?

yes, but it tends to make them jiggle about a bit. A cure for melancholy apparently, so an ideal birthday treat

adamdv8
    Free Member

Get whatevers best in Costco – never worry again! When its fecked, take it back get a new one – never had a worry since. Not worth even calling out an engineer. Not sure how they do it, but they do!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Seriously though; £450 on a washing machine? That's a lot of money, no? My dad bought a Bosch machine and a fridge-freezer for £400, albeit about 10 years ago, and they're still going strong. Only basic models, but the extra cost just pays for fancier styling/flashy electronics, no?

votchy
    Free Member

Wouldn't bother with the extended cover, sale of goods act section 14 is your friend if it goes wrong after 12 months 😉

nsaints
    Free Member

Miele!!!….I bought a £1,200 Miele for £450 in a sale. Thank god I didn't pay full whack for it. Got a Bosch now..say no more

Macavity
    Free Member

Which magazine does a test of these things.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Miele!!!….I bought a £1,200 Miele for £450 in a sale.

Shitting Jesus, how can a poxy washing machine cost so much?? 😯

I'm not an expert on washing machines, not do I have any interest in them other than to wash my clothes, but can someone please explain how a fairly simple machine can cost so much money?

llama

I'm not an expert on washing machines, not do I have any interest in them other than to wash my clothes, but can someone please explain how a fairly simple machine can cost so much money?

exaclty! I mean, you could nearly get a good bike for that!

oldgit
    Free Member

I think you'll find that some of the new generation machines are to technical to opperate for a womans fluffy head.

jon1973
    Free Member

Shitting Jesus, how can a poxy washing machine cost so much??

Clever marketing.

Sui
    Free Member

Bosch, the folks one has been going for donkey's, only needing some carbon rods replacing for the motor (they do wear out you know!)

toptip from the Boschman too – every 6 weeks or so do a HOT wash (no clothes) (90 degrees or hotter) and chuck in a handful of soda crystals and run it through. it keeps things clear!

trb
    Free Member

Washing machine engineer bloke I spoke to said Miele or Bosch – but stay away from the Bosch Classic (cheap) range as they're just re-badged Hotpoints.

Don't forget to do regular maintenance washes – a recommendation normally buried in the back of the manual, he reckoned it would have saved me that particular £100 repair bill.

Talkemada – washing machines are like bikes – the cheap ones will still wash your clothes, but the expensive ones will do it better, quieter, hopefully for longer and most importantly with more style.

Talkemada
    Free Member

and most importantly with more style.

Ah. Thought so. Thanks! 😀

The rest is just bollocks though, isn't it?

Jeeze, someone will tell me next you spend more than £200 for a toaster….

duckman

Bosch have carbon fibe in them? thats a clincher!

hora
    Free Member

I must admit I read the title to the thread and thought 'ah this guy must a Yorkshireman like me and practical' 😆

backhander
    Free Member

Miele!!!….I bought a £1,200 Miele for £450 in a sale.

Shitting Jesus, how can a poxy washing machine cost so much??

Ask my f***ing c**t of an MP that;

Kingswood MP Roger Berry spent £15,000 kitting out his two-bed townhouse with luxury items including a £169 toaster, £979 television and a £1,000 washer dryer

ourmaninthenorth

Buy the bottom of the range Miele. You get the build quality advatage without all the nonsense programs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Talkemada where did you get a Miele for that money, are you sure the £1,200 price tag wasnt with the Currys/Comet mark up on top?

In recent which report Miele for £850 came tops and then a Beko for £250.

theflatboy
    Free Member

votchy – Member

Wouldn't bother with the extended cover, sale of goods act section 14 is your friend if it goes wrong after 12 months

well said! 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Wife's birthday + washing machine surely = imminent divorce?!

Bit like buying her an iron.

duckman

Read the whole post s-m 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Talkemada where did you get a Miele for that money

I didn't… 🙄

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Bucket with a wooden stick, if she deserves it then let her have some rubber gloves and warm water.

oddjob
    Free Member

Friend of mine was a buyer for a house builder and they always bought Bosch simply because they never went wrong and it saved him lots of hassle getting them fixed.
    IIRC Miele are the ONLY ones that have a metal drum rather than a plastic one and that is supposed to make them ace and does make them 50-500% more expensive.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a Bosch been going strong for 6 years and has done at least 20 washes a month, bought on the recommendation a good friend who runs a white goods shop. Meile are better but for the price of one of them ypou get two Bosch.

Very reliable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have a Bosch washer/dryer that has only gone wrong once in 8 years (and that was a cheap fix). It did cost us the best part of a grand though (built-in with condenser drier therefore very expensive) so I should hope so really.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wifes birthday,what washing machine?’ is closed to new replies.