Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Wife -v- Teenage daughter – help!…
  • nonk
    Free Member

Might be worth asking her to consider her whinge to positive comment ratio
    Last time I pointed this out to my other half she did concede that she was just moaning all the time

sadexpunk

I would be interested to know if those who felt their wives were undermining the situation are still married…

yes.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

*sigh* You can’t win (14yr old daughter here) Women are 100% mental. I got a load of abuse last night as I was 20 minutes late (due to traffic) so I apparently ruined Halloween 😯

Good Luck !!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Would you really want to be married to a bloke?!

14 yo son, and partner has a 14yo daughter – yes it is a challenge!

theteaboy
    Free Member

I feel that I’m sometimes the critical one with my son. He’s awesome (and younger than your daughter) but I sometimes feel the need to ‘help’ him with things he seems to struggle with before he asks for help.

I’m trying to do more of this:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pride-and-joy/201203/criticism-part-i-the-harmfulness-criticism-0

vickypea
    Free Member

Those of you making misogynistic comments about wives and women, has it occurred to you that their apparent faults may have bugger all to do with the fact they are female. No need to write off all women!

sadexpunk

Those of you making misogynistic comments about wives and women, has it occurred to you that their apparent faults may have bugger all to do with the fact they are female. No need to write off all women!

oh definitely, it could just as easily be a ‘volatile dad’ and ‘peacemaker mum’. good point to make.

EDIT: (hope you didnt consider my input as misogynistic an any way vicky, thats not how it was meant to come across)

nonk
    Free Member

vickypea – Member

Really ?
    You have one slightly iffy post in a very balanced thread and you throw that in
    If I’m wrong please show me the misogyny in this thread

hels
    Free Member

I am not a parent – however I was a teenage girl, and like most, I was good at playing the parents off against each other. Divide and conquer, mixed with mis-direction. You daughter seems to have the instinct.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think it might be a matter of trying to work out exactly what is going on as I think you are beginning to do -seeing a pattern.If for instance it’s a matter of your daughter pushing boundaries and challenging her mother then you have to be solid with your partner .If your partner moves the goalposts and is inconsistent- thus making you either support her in doing something you don’t necessarily agree with then she is putting you in an impossible position .I think as parents you and your partner need to discuss basic parental values which you may have inherited without realising .Hope this helps – just don’t get in a position trying to placate both sides

TimothyD
    Free Member

As a part of the solution in the shorter term, I’d be tempted (if it’s not noticed by your wife that is) to do some of the crockery sorting some of the time, just to lessen the number of instances for tension, and take it upon myself to try and do a bit more of the asking for getting get to clear it up.

I’m thinking that if your wife is doing cooking and general housework, she might feel less inclined than you to keep going back to get her to finish putting the pots away, from feeling that she has enough to do already – which is probably true from her perspective.

A mixture of talking to your wife about how daughter probably won’t be hearing her if she shouts, doing a bit of the sorting yourself, and getting on at your daughter to sort things ‘as and when’ so that she doesn’t have to asked is how I’d try and tackle that particular issue – because that’s inline with my personality you might say, it might not work for you.

vikypea has a really good point about not tarring all women as being mental and illogical etc, it’s not fair at all.

Men can be just as illogical…

zippykona

My friends have 3 kids. Their eldest daughter is absolutely gorgeous and always polite when we visit.
    The plain fact is that they don’t like her. I don’t know why.
    The youngest daughter is pure evil and gets away with everything.
    It’s horrible to see.
    Maybe your wife just doesn’t like your daughter. My wife and her mum never got on. There must be some hormonal thing going on.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Not getting on can be down to similarities in personality, my mum and I only reached a place of continuing calmness after we realised that we were very alike (in an unhelpful way), am glad that got to happen before she passed away.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think there’s a territorial thing too, whilst my son and I just got on and made space for each other my wife [ ex] and daughter were always creating confrontations like they were vieing for alpha female , as others have said quite quite unpleasant and hard to witness – the level of nastiness out of all proportion to the cause of whatever conflict

ransos
    Free Member

Really ?
    You have one slightly iffy post in a very balanced thread and you throw that in
    If I’m wrong please show me the misogyny in this thread

Women like confrontation and argument.

Women are 100% mental.

There must be some hormonal thing going on.

Cougar

my wife starts an argument because my daughter has shovelled up a bit of mash with her fork in her right hand.

I think if I were you, I’d have a chat to your OH when you’re both calm and not post-argument. Suggest that “we” (not her) are having a lot of rows, and that perhaps “we” can come to an agreement to not sweat the small stuff.

She’s 13. In a little while she’ll be potentially discovering boys (or girls), alcohol, cigarettes, weed and goodness knows what else, at which point neither of you will give the slightest of shits if she’s eating mashed potato with her feet and licking the plate clean afterwards. By the time she’s rolling on condoms you’ll be glad she’s being safe rather than worrying that she’s doing it with the wrong hand.

The whole knife and fork place-settings is arse-backwards anyway. You eat with your right hand if you’re using a fork or spoon on its own, but swap hands if a knife is involved as well? What’s up with that? I’m left-handed, I eat with my left regardless of what’s in my right. You righties are odd.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I think if I were you, I’d have a chat to your OH when you’re both calm”

That’s the problem. Trying to have a conversation that isn’t a row with someone who wants to escalate everything into a row.

If she was reasonable, the problem wouldn’t exist.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Have you tried vacuuming the house? Or cleaning the bathrooms?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

outof breath I think that’s a bit of a leap on from the posts by the OP… possibly projecting from your own experience, and I’ve been there in one relationship…

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I think that’s a bit of a leap on from the posts by the OP…”

I suspect he wouldn’t be posting here if a calm civil conversation with his wife was feasible.

Obviously if it is he should simply do that.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

That doesn’t mean she is the sole source of unreasonablness, Or that she can’t, once she sees he isn’t in league against her, listen to what he has to say, when things are quieter and they are away from their daughter.

Anyway, sometimes people just need to ventilate, and this is a good a place as any…

outofbreath
    Free Member

“That doesn’t mean she is the sole source of unreasonablness, Or that she can’t, once she sees he isn’t in league against her, listen to what he has to say, when things are quieter and they are away from their daughter.”

No, but the OP sounds reasonable to me.

vickypea
    Free Member

I didn’t mean the whole thread was misogynistic, but there were a few examples as pointed out by ransos (thanks).

I realised that I hadn’t contributed to the thread though! My thoughts are that we should cut teenagers a certain amount of slack because their brains aren’t wired like an adult’s, but on the other hand that shouldn’t mean they have carte blanche to be rude and hurtful. OP, could you maybe act as a mediator and not take either side, see if you can negotiate peace?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t think the OP should be a mediator, he should be 50% of a united front in bringing up their child.

tjagain

vickypea – well said. a few comments on here have really made me go WTF?

spursn17
    Free Member

It’s the small things that get blown up – crockery being left around the house being a major source of angst for example! I’ll get my daughter to come from wherever she is and put it in the dishwasher, I’ll get her back time and again depending on how many items I find.

Approach it from a different angle? Put the dirty crockery in a box in the garage/shed and serve her food up on paper plates and with plastic knives and forks when you have no more clean stuff left. It might be a pain but if you approach it with the right attitude you and your missus can have a laugh at teh same time.

When my oldest son was doing the ‘I can do what I want’ thing I cut all of the plugs off of all the electrical items in his bedroom, he got them back at the rate of 1 a week if we’d had a good week. How I laughed when the first plug he wanted back was his Playstation one! 😀

Psychological warfare is what it is.

vickypea
    Free Member

jondoh- I agree that parents should in general present a united front, but in this situation where the other 2 are at each other’s throats, a bit of mediation to regain some kind of peace first could help.

johndoh
    Free Member

I honestly don’t see how that would help – his wife will see mediation as just another way of undermining her.

tjagain

Johndoh – thats not what mediation or family counselling is at all.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“his wife will see mediation as just another way of undermining her.”

Agree.

Clearly in normal situation parents need to be 50-50 of a divided front and that will require a fair but of both joining in making issues of things one or other of them doesn’t think need to be addressed.

Sounds like this situation is beyond that and one of them is causing a ton of needless friction. In that case the united front needs to be shifted to a reasonable and sane point and that requires the one who is seeking drama and confrontation to chillax a bit and help create a cheerful environment for everyone.

vickypea
    Free Member

But what if both of them are perhaps guilty of unreasonable behaviour?
    I don’t see what’s wrong with saying it out loud that the 2 of them aren’t getting on, and how can we work things out to regain harmony at home? That’s not taking sides or blaming one over the other.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Cougar: The whole knife and fork place-settings is arse-backwards anyway. You eat with your right hand if you’re using a fork or spoon on its own, but swap hands if a knife is involved as well? What’s up with that? I’m left-handed, I eat with my left regardless of what’s in my right. You righties are odd.

Lol at this! I’ve always been left handed and had never registered that I don’t switch hands like right handed peeps. 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

My Dad would sometimes erupt if my Mum and I were being petty with one another in a ‘Jesus peeps…both of you’ kind of tone – though not in those words, with certain justification when I think about it. It can sometimes seem like the less parents say the more they’re listened to when I look back on my childhood, with short sharp interventions working better than background grumbling, like ‘STOP’ as hammyuk phrases it.

I think a bigger contrast between calmness and anger from parents can possibly have more effect…

hammyuk
    Free Member

“actions and consequences” goes for all involved.
    Wifi access, device use and many more can be used regardless of “age” to make things go differently.

Also quite simply stopping the argument or comment as it happens works.
    Simply “STOP” its not nice at first but it’ll have the desired effect regardless f which side the grief is coming from.

Cougar

How I laughed when the first plug he wanted back was his Playstation one!

Not the TV it’s connected to, then? Awesome.

I’ve always been left handed and had never registered that I don’t switch hands like right handed peeps.

It took me years to spot that’s what they did, to be fair. Bizarre behaviour.

I wonder if part of it for me is being veggie. I’m not likely to have to start hacking at a tough steak, a table knife is very much a supporting role when I’m eating.

TimothyD
    Free Member

It took me years to spot that’s what they did, to be fair. Bizarre behaviour.

I wonder if part of it for me is being veggie. I’m not likely to have to start hacking at a tough steak, a table knife is very much a supporting role when I’m eating.

It’s not anything like what you might call a grievance – having had to adapt to a right handed world, but it is quite nice to feel like left handed is the most logical thing to be a for a change.

Having adapted I can write equally neatly with my right hand, and use scissors in either hand just as well, so having had to has possibly been of benefit in the long term – after realising I wasn’t less capable than others, just not provided for adequately enough at school instead.

Cougar

I use scissors right-handed cos they’re designed that way; the twisting of the thumb forces the blades together, left-handed it forces them apart. I can use them left-handed but I’ve consciously think about it to ‘pull’ with my thumb against instinct.

tjagain

get left handed scissors?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I don’t see what’s wrong with saying it out loud that the 2 of them aren’t getting on, and how can we work things out to regain harmony at home? That’s not taking sides or blaming one over the other.”

I agree, I just don’t think the OP’s missus will see it that way.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I use scissors right-handed cos they’re designed that way; the twisting of the thumb forces the blades together, left-handed it forces them apart. I
    can use them left-handed but I’ve consciously think about it to ‘pull’ with my thumb against instinct.”

As a leftie I consciously think about the pull. Until this moment it has never, ever occurred to me that for a right handed person it’s a push, and that might be easier. Every day’s a school day.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Wife -v- Teenage daughter – help!…’ is closed to new replies.