Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • Wife thinks I have anger issues??
  • renton
    Free Member

So I’m interested in hearing what you think here. My wife thinks I have anger issues and that I’ve embarrassed her a couple of times at the petrol station.

The first time is because I raised my voice to a young girl who was on her phone at the pump whilst trying to open her filler cap. I shouted “oi, get off your phone”.

The second time was tonight. We were sat in the next slot to the air and water slot waiting for our turn next. When the car left the slot I jumped out and started to set the air to the right setting thinking the wife would move the car into the slot. As she was trying to move another car started to try and get into the slot so I walked to the front of it and put my hands up at him and pointed at my car but he kept coming and actually drove into me at lot speed. I shouted again “oi, there is a queue mate” only to be met with a load of verbal back from him. In the end he moved and the wife moved into the slot and proceeded to have a go at me for raising my voice saying she was embarrassed as everyone was looking at us.

I was ****ed as the bloke had literally tried to force me out of the slot by hitting me in the shins with his car.

Thinking back the only other thing I could have done in my eyes was roll over and be bullied into moving and letting him get away with it. Trouble is I’m sick of doing that and letting people walk all over me.

So …….. Do I sound angry or not ??

chewkw
    Free Member

Nope. Absolutely fine coz some people need telling off.

CheesybeanZ

Crack on , some people need telling.

singlespeedstu

You’ve always come across as more confuse to me with all your daft questions on here.

tthew

First one maybe. That’d be a eyeroll and English tut for me. Second one, sounds about right. Two incidents in how many years?

bearnecessities

Possibly.

I have a ‘pick your battles’ approach to life, and as a result have found most of them are not worth battling.

But I am also aroused by the frequency of wife and slot terminology, so maybe I’m not in the best position to advise.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

if you are hacked off enough I’d ask the petrol station for the video footage as pass it along to the relevant parties and let then deal with it.

Not angry per se just standing up for what you believe in

transporter13
    Free Member

Can’t see anything wrong with what you’ve said to be fair. I think you were more than calm with the tit in the car as well… Id have been raging

Poopscoop

Trouble is I’m sick of doing that and letting people walk all over me.

That’s the most telling sentence for me mate.

Sounds like there are some underlying issues perhaps?

I’m no psychologist though!

Personally, it’s about choosing the battles to fight in life. Most importantly, even if you don’t have anger issues you need to work out why you wife thinks you might.

The country as a whole feels very angry these days though, so you aren’t the only one for sure.

sparkyrhino

Agreed 1st instance wouldnt bother me, 2nd however soddin liberty,my missus likes me standing my ground, her Ex wouldnt say boo to a goose, even though he is a 6’4” unit, and Im a midget, please make your own conclusions😉

5lab

Why does it matter if someone is on their mobile phone? None of your business. The other one is fair play

Poopscoop

^^
    Legend has it that mobiles cause petrol pumps to explode. Not sure of relevant these days but many stations still frown on it as so many coppers.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Nope….. I don’t think you have anger management issues BUT…….

Inflating tyres and filling up with fuel on a weekend….
    Doing the weekly shop at 5.45pm on a Saturday evening…..
    Trying to get to kids swimming lessons across town at 4.30pm on a Friday…….
    Going to the in-laws house at anytime…..
    Going to ANY form of kids indoor play area…..
    Having a kids “playdate” with my wifes friend Julie and her kids…..
    Trying to help a 9 year old with homework BEFORE tea time…

these are all things that can be potentially stressful. My wife and I have learned not to do them…… (or at least to have a jam sandwich on hand to prevent “hangry” levels from reaching divorce point.)

In our house weekends are for heading to the mountains to get away from anger-inducing “other people.” Hanging around filling stations and shopping centres is just foolish.

Oh…. and whilst it might be easy for you to “stand-up” to other people……. your wife might have spent a life-time backing down from flash-points and confrontations (either as she is scared of confrontation or has learnt that it is just not worth it.)

Neither of you is wrong….. but your wife might feel more comfortable putting YOU in your place for “embarrassing” her and the kids rather than dealing with the real problem which is phone wielding psychos intent on blowing up the garage and bully-boy drivers who can’t queue like proper polite British people.

Either way you don’t have anger management issues…. BUT you DO have wife issues! LOL

rOcKeTdOg

Why does it matter if someone is on their mobile phone? None of your business

probably would turn out to be your business if the vapour gets ignited

8. Ignition Sources • Smoking : By law you and your passengers are required to extinguish your cigarette, cigar or pipe before entering the petrol station. Petrol sites are defined as hazardous zones and in most instances smoking is not permitted within the boundary of the property. • • Mobile phones : Mobile phones are potentially hazardous when used at a petrol station. Dropping a mobile phone, or turning a mobile phone on or off may cause a spark, which can ignite petrol vapours. Using a mobile phone while refuelling can cause a lapse in concentration. This could result in over filling your petrol tank that may cause dangerous spills. • Static electricity : Static electricity is made by two different surfaces rubbing together and can ignite fuel vapours.This can be a problem if you get in and out of your car repeatedly.

northernsoul

The first one – probably (nothing technically illegal*, and in reality you’d struggle to find many examples of a mobile phone causing a fire in a petrol station).
    * unless there was a notice prohibiting it, but even then it’s for the petrol station staff to deal with.

The second one – sounds like the other person was being a dick.

If those are the only two examples you can think of, I wouldn’t say you have anger issues.

tthew

There’s far more risk of ignition sources from the rest of the car than a mobile phone. Sodding big battery, starter motor, alternator, flakey coil packs, unsecured earth’s. Take your pick.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Ohhhh and to play devils advocate…… It may appear that using a Mobile Phone on a forecourt is actually OK…

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/fill-up-and-go/how-to-use-fill-up-and-go.html

TheDTs
    Free Member

Renton is Ronnie Pickering and I claim my £5

taxi25
    Free Member

Despite theoretical possibilities a mobile phone won’t ignite petrol fumes in the open air environment of a petrol station forecourt, it just won’t, so kerp your opinions to yourself on that one. Secondly why did you get out of the car to mess with the air machine before your wife drove into the space ??? A gap was created so someone drove into it. I’m not sure about anger issues but stop being a @#$%&.

brownsauce
    Free Member

The whole mobile phone sparking vapours thing is bollox – its a circuit board encased in a dust tight box , not a zipper lighter with a flint

the hazard comes from the zombie like state folk exhibit whilst using them that increases several fold the chance of forecourt fuel spills that makes garages prohibit their use when using pumps.

same with ban on using phones during take off & landing on a plane flights – its not cos the digital altimeter works on the same frequency as your galaxy edge , its because the airlines want passengers paying attention at key moments.

As for the anger issues , well I hope you gave the missus a good back-hander for this unfounded allegation………

*joke*

rugbydick

Renton is Ronnie Pickering and I claim my £5

Who?

molgrips
    Free Member

same with ban on using phones during take off & landing on a plane flights – its not cos the digital altimeter works on the same frequency as your galaxy edge , its because the airlines want passengers paying attention at key moments.

I was told it was because they make the ground communications go neerrrr nenene neenene neerrrr neerrrr

TheDTs
    Free Member

Ronnie Pickering

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Reckon you’re giving us the whole story.

I shouted again “oi, there is a queue mate” only to be met with a load of verbal back from him.**** In the end he moved

****What happened here?

Drac

Yeah the mobile phone and igniting petrol is bullocks.

Ranting and waving your arms as someone thought a space was free is well a bit odd, mind so is driving into said person.

renton
    Free Member

I literally put my hands up to say stop and then pointed at my car that the wife was moving.

jekkyl

Ronnie Pickering

Who the ****’s he?

————–
    Why didn’t your wife move the car faster?

sirromj

What are these slots? Just regular parking bays? Or the bays specifically for the air? I’d be quite irritated if I’d been queuing for the air and some bloke jumps out of a car in a regular parking bay claiming it was his turn actually. Not irritated enough to run into him however, isn’t that assault?

renton
    Free Member

There is a row of parking bays with the end one being the air and water bay. Normally if you are queuing for air or water you park in the space next to it. Then once the bay is empty you move into it.

It’s quite awkward as the bays are infront if the pumps so you have to wait until people have stopped moving off from them to move into the air and water bay.

taxi25
    Free Member

Just remember to be careful about what you wear whilst filling up.

singletrackmind

#1 There is a sign on most pumps saying dont and it should be the cashier who shouts unintellagbly down the Maplin Tannoy to tell the lady not to use the phone

#2 Fair enough , was your misses on the phone hence the tardiness in no jumping into the bay? As for the other bloke trying to nudge you into submission , I think you did the right thing , he could have accepted you were queueing and he should b prepared to wait BUT .-
    He was an entiltled cock bag who thought he could put one over on you by some entheusastic driving manoevere that 9 times out of 10 would have got him 32psi in his tyres 3mins quicker , this time he failed because you stood up for yourself. Then he had to have verbals because he didnt put on over you so had to try to even the score by a string of insults * probably *

mooman
    Free Member

… I am still struggling to understand why you would shout at and embarrass a young girl using her mobile. That in itself marks you as quite an unpleasant person in my book.

As for the other incident seems a little sketchy on details.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re asking the question then you probably have.

The first instance it sounds like you were out of order, the latter 50/50. Maybe 60/40 to you actually.

singlespeedstu

Normally if you are queuing for air or water you park in the space next to it. Then once the bay is empty you move into it.

You might others may not.

slackalice
    Free Member

In order for me to judge fully and completely, please would you ask your wife to write down the sequence of events as she witnessed them. We’ll forego the statements from the mobile phone user and the other motorist, mainly because they’ll no doubt be tricky to trace, however, for the purposes of a balanced account… Ta.

sharkattack

I shouted “oi, get off your phone”.

I reckon you need to wind your neck in.

jimdubleyou

As I understand it (and this might be the same level of bobbins as causing an explosion), old analogue phones could be used to affect the flow meter on the pump, so you could get charged less if you were on your phone.

Probably not the case these days.

I suspect you’d have to try quite hard to ignite a vapour cloud with a phone…

renton
    Free Member

Interesting replies thanks.

In the first instance I did feel a bit of an arse and guilty afterwards for bellowing at the girl but there are signs all over to not use phones in petrol stations (regardless if you think it’s an issue or not ).

The second instance I genuinely think the bloke was trying to bully me out of the way with his car.

Drac

there are signs all over to not use phones in petrol stations (regardless if you think it’s an issue or not ).

Maybe there should be ones saying “Please do not shout at people”

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Angry? No.

More outspoken than most? Sure. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but can lead to confrontations. These days you just never know what reaction you are going to get, which makes it a bit risky. There are certain things we probably should be a bit more vocal about.
    I didn’t exactly shout but I told a guy pretty loudly on a petrol station forecourt that he shouldn’t be smoking while filling up and neither should his passenger as he could kill us all. That’s about the only time though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Wife thinks I have anger issues??’ is closed to new replies.