Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wife booking holiday in Alps – lift assisted mtb help
  • thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Hiya, need the forums Alps knowledge. Wife is booking a holiday in the Alps, she is not a biker, but me and the boy want to take advantage, obviously. She is cross checking with me the places she is looking at for the biking – bless her.She keeps coming up with stuff in Switzerland and Italy – Interlaken and Lake Como. I do searches for lift assist mtb and nothing comes up. Looking for singletrack more than full on downhill, and I want to be ferried to the top, not interested in slogging up. On the French side there is loads of this stuff and loads of info. Am I missing something? Any info received with thanks.

chakaping
    Free Member

She looking at package deals?

Accommodation is cheap in the Alps in summer. I’d pick a resort that offered something you all wanted and then find a suitable chalet or apartment.

timidwheeler

What is she looking for in a resort? Might be easiest to start there.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

She wants views and lakes. I want biking. Would think that biking would come with views, possibly lakes. So, rephrase of question – what good lift assisted mtb in Swiss and Italian Alps?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

She wants views and lakes. I want biking.

lake Garda, Malcesine and car assisted out of Torbole?

timidwheeler

What sort of views? Rocky snowcapped mountains or rolling hills-are-alive flower meadows? There are loads of places you can go. Give us a bit more info.

welshfarmer

Slovenia sound ideal 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Everywhere in the Alps has view from great to unbelievable 🙂 What does she want from lakes, look at them or swim / boat on them ?

Lift asisted in Switzerland – best known is Verbier but not easy to get to Lakes (Lac de Vaux is quite a hike in the summer) and Lake Geneva/Montreux is an hour. Lakes in Lenzerheide itself – possibly best bet for the combination you are looking for – family mountain railway ride to Arosa for the day and you go “over the top” and bike back ? Zermatt is just wow but very pricey, 2-3hrs from Verbier for a day trip

Lake Garda is a fantastic playground full stop. We normally stay in Malcecezine for sailing and the cable car runs from there, numerous uplift options by van also (from Torbole)

You could considsr Annecy area and ride Semnozand/or La Clusaz. 1 hour to Chamonix and/or Samoens

Sandwich

Malcesine and go for a cable car ride up Monte Baldo then downhill to Torbole?

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Thanks so far. All data going into the searches at the moment.

easygirl

I’ll second Garda, and great for a family holiday as well.
    When you co,e back from riding there’s loads to do in the area

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

OK. Seems a stop in Interlaken for a few days then onto Livigno. Had a look for the biking and seems good. Any real world feedback?

nikk
    Free Member

I read this as “Wife beating holiday in Alps”

😆

Carry on.

BigJohn

We’ve been to Garda and zell am zee. Both great.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Lake Garda defo from what you want and everybody will be happy, never been to French Alps but been to lake como/garda. Like this

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interlaken is more Swiss sophistication (steamer trips on the lake) and you should definitely get up to Wengen/Grindelwald for walking and to see the Eiger. I don’t know what biking is like there but no doubt there is some enduro to do (uplifts via cog raikway can be pricey as its 1 ticket for you and 1/2 price for bike) but generally worth it
    You can research via Swiss Mobility website and app switch on walking and mtb routes – many best enduro trails I have found are marked as walking paths

Also if you’ve time and it suits Roche du Naye / Col Jamman up above Montreux have spectacular lake and mountain (PdS) views and you can ride down – cog raikway up or drive to near Col Jamman. Few hotels with terraces half way up. Will post photos later

Verbier (bottom of) 40 mins from Montreux – great riding, walking and restaurants. Val de Ferret close by a nice drive up view views, waterfalls, glaciers. Photo below

hammerite
    Free Member

Dolomites and do the Sella Ronda on your bikes with plenty of uplift. Check out today’s Giro stage to see how beautiful it is.

Saalbach – check out the Big 5 challenge for uplift and single track. If you want a lake stay in Zell or stay in Saalbach and head to Zell for the lake.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Just back from malcesine lake garda. I went for the windsurfing but there was Lots of bikes about. Malcesine has the gondola. Mrs was happy there too. Booked package through Inghams wasn’t particularly cheap though after daytrips to Venice and verona. Easy to get about on ferry or local buses

jambalaya
    Free Member

Col du Jaman – lake Genev and Montreux below, snow caps of PdS to left

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

thanks all

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wife booking holiday in Alps – lift assisted mtb help’ is closed to new replies.