Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wider road bike tyres?
  • cookeaa

I need some new tyres for my commuter,
    it’s currently got the 700 x 23c jobs that came on it, I’ve gotten on OK with 25’s on my other road bike in the past, I reckon the frame and fork have got plenty of clearance for a 28+.
    So I’m thinking bigger will be “Better” comfort wise but I don’t want to make the bike a draggy nightmare, for all their faults the current tyres do roll reasonably well.

Anybody got any experience based input on the Drag/Rolling/Comfort/flat resistance benefits or drawbacks of using 25 Vs 28mm tyres?

What about mixing tyre sizes? F & R?

Thoughts?

ransos
    Free Member

I went from 23 to 25mm Michelins on my road bike. It feels more comfortable (probably the lower pressure) and I can’t detect any difference in rolling resistance.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got 28c Conti 4seasons. They replaced some 25c Schwalbes, which replaced some 24c Conti GP4s.
    Fatter = more comfortable = ride for longer = higher average speed.

IME/IMO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I took it to 32mm on my commuter, it’s not draggy like MTB tyres (even MTB slicks), but it does produce lower average speeds than 28 or 25mm, but is more comfortable and less likely to pinch puncture with the weight of panniers hitting potholes.

I’ve had 25mm and 23mm on wider road rims and that’s probably the peak of the comfort/speed IME.

Northwind

It depends on you and your roads but I definitely sped up when I went from 23s to 25s (and quite fat 25s). Not about comfort, just confidence/control, the ripply surface of the big descent on my commute was orrible on the skinnies.

GrahamS

I’ve got 28c Conti 4seasons.

Me too – I like em. Not got much to compare them to on the road but I wouldn’t say they are too heavy and they seem to cope well with rough roads and paths.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got some 700c x 60 Big Apples you can try if you’d like…

cookeaa

Not sure 60 would fit, a 32 might but I’m more tempted by a 28 TBH.

Cheers for the responses, I shall go and have a look at some tyres then…

brakes
    Free Member

you should consider the width of your rim and how that will impact 1) the ability of the rim to hold a wider tyre and 2) the profile of the tyre

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was running 28mm gatorz at the weekend for a sprint triathlon on my cross/commuter. My cycle time was less than two minutes behind the winner of my age group. I think you’ll be fine as regards drag.

GrahamS

you should consider the width of your rim and how that will impact 1) the ability of the rim to hold a wider tyre

Indeed – Sheldon has a handy table:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

brakes
    Free Member

coincidentally, I had second 23C tyre fail last night where the bead has come away from the carcass. I think this may be down to using rims that are too wide for the tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wider road bike tyres?’ is closed to new replies.