• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by cr4sh.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Wider fit MTB shoes for flats
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

My freerider pros have died and either my feet have got wider with age and excess weight on them or the pros have got thinner.

Tried my usual 8 and 8.5 and both feel a bit on the tight side.

And bigger and they will be too long.

I don’t think I have super wide feet TBH!

Are the standard freeriders/dlx wider?

Anything else worth a try? Doesn’t have to be a fiveten!

fooman

I find Five Tens too narrow but am OK with Addidas Terrex Cross Trail

davros

Evans are doing Shimano gr7 for 49quid. Might need to size up by one eu size.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Terrex look ok. They true to size? Seem to be sold out most places but wiggle have an 8 left lol

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Freerider pros are narrower fitting than standard free riders or impacts

garage-dweller

Sorry posting so I can find later as it will be new shoe time before long.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Going to order the Terrax and some Freerider non Pro ones – maybe the DLX ones for a bit of extra waterproofing!

Gotama
    Free Member

VXi are much wider in the FiveTen range.

The latest Specialized 2FO are pretty good grip wise and have a reasonably wide fit across the toe box. They work for me and i find most stuff too narrow in the toe box.

jayx2a
    Free Member

VXi are a bit bulky for me – those specialized ones look pretty good though. Will have a look at them too.

Are they true to size as I cant find them in half sizes!

confused58

Don’t order DLX Freeriders, I did and they were much narrower than my Elements…I ended up with Impacts 1/2 size bigger which had the same sole size as my Elements, but feel very different, stiffer and taller.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes, the Specialized run true to size. Make sure you get the second iteration 2FO 2.0, not the 1.0 as their first attempt was pretty naff grip wise.

jayx2a
    Free Member
    deluded
    Free Member

I have very wide feet – looking down on them, they resemble Monster Munch crisps.

If you’ve the sponds – maybe consider SIDI ‘Mega’ range. Mega being the wide fitting.

Very comfortable and long lived.

Gotama
    Free Member

Sorry, yes, 1.0 and 2.0 are the recent model but both have the slipnot 2.0 rubber sole which is the key bit. I have the model 2.0 shoe which has a slightly different midsole as well as the upper being more weather resistant. Anyway, I think the purple and black looks pretty good!

jayx2a
    Free Member

I dont have monster munch feet lol

Will try a pair of the Spec for size!

honourablegeorge

Five Ten are about to relaunch the Adidas Terrex shoes with their own Five Ten branding

jayx2a
    Free Member

Looking at the Terrax as well as the Specialized. If you look at the length in cm the Terrax is quite a small size 8 compared to the Specialized size 8.

lankystreakofpee

When I bought my terrex trails, Adidas had a cool sizing tool on their website where you put in the make of shoe that you know fits you and they spit out the size you need. E.g. I’m either 11 or 12. I put in size 11 Clarks and it told me I need 11.5 which fit bang on.

They are really comfy with quite a wide toe box. I wear them for cycling and walking all the time and they still look pretty good.

hot_fiat

I found the lasts on all adidas shoes a bit narrow, whereas the 5ten stuff came up broader, more like an airwalk fit vs a vans fit. If they’ve moved 5ten to use adidas’ lasts that’ll be irritating.

jayx2a
    Free Member

New fiveten I tried were definitely narrower.

They have changed the sizing I’m sure. My 2 year old ones are a UK8 US9. The new ones are UK8 US8.5 which falls in line with Adidas.

duncancallum

I use vaude moabs

paton
    Free Member

The Ultimate Flat Pedal Mountain Bike Shoe Guide: Find the Best Kicks for Your Riding Style

Sometimes going to a well stocked bike shop and trying stuff on is the answer.

jsync

Aren’t the Vaude narrow though?

hainman
    Free Member

I have the older Terrex trail and impact VXI five tens and the five tens feel a bit more roomy
    Both fit are true to size 9.5 is what I wear in normal trainers and fit is just the same

takisawa2

I struggle with finding wide shoes. Disappointed to hear Five-Tens may have got narrower, the older ones I have are spot on. I forgot my usual trainers & ended up spending the last 2 weeks wearing them whilst on holiday.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Tried the Adidas and not a great fit. Specialized 2FO fit great through. Not 100% sold on the quality but they are a good fit!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So after a few rides I can highly recommend the Specialized 2FO.

Great fit, toe box is generous and they are just as grippy as the 510.

Thanks for the suggestion!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I wear Vivobarefoot trainers, the sole is not as sticky as 5.10 rubber but because it is so thin I find I get so much more feel and can grip the pedals with my toes, its been a revelation to learn to jump my bike on flats after 20 yrs in SPDs.

Because the sole is so thin you need much less aggressive pedals/shorter pins. Unless you want the sensation of walking across carpet covered in lego!

submarined
    Free Member

That sounds like the worst possible sort of shoe I could imagine for riding an MTB in. Thanks for the tip of what to avoid.

Been following this thread with interest as I have flat, wide feet and my Freerider EPS highs are starting to show their age. Will look at 2FOs, thanks!

moshimonster
    Free Member

I noticed Five Ten’s 2019 size chart now suggests a UK half size bigger than in previous years for each stated shoe length. I just got a pair of new Freerider pros in 10.5 vs my old ones in 10 and they seem to fit about the same, maybe a tad tighter – but then they are brand new vs 4 years use! My feet are pretty wide too, anything on the narrow side doesn’t work for me.

moshimonster
    Free Member

“I wear Vivobarefoot trainers, the sole is not as sticky as 5.10 rubber but because it is so thin I find I get so much more feel and can grip the pedals with my toes, its been a revelation to learn to jump my bike on flats after 20 yrs in SPDs.

Because the sole is so thin you need much less aggressive pedals/shorter pins. Unless you want the sensation of walking across carpet covered in lego!”

I might try my flip-flops

jayx2a
    Free Member

Just make sure you get the newer updated Specialized ones.

cr4sh
    Free Member

Just to reiterate what’s already been said tbh – after the last 4 years of riding a combo of terrex and 5/10 freerider i got the 2fo flats and have been riding them for a couple of months now – yes they are a true size fit but the toe box is nice and generous for those of us with wider feet. I also appreciate how much lighter they are too! Cant say Ive noticed any less grip on the pedals over the stealth rubber. So far so good, just hope they are as durable as the terrex have been!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Wider fit MTB shoes for flats’ is closed to new replies.