• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by isoo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wide Winter Road Boots
  • mcnultycop

I’m looking for a set of wide winter road shoes, I currently wear a set of Sidi Mega but they aren’t keeping me that warm, even with my trusty BBB Heavy Duty or Hard Wear over shoes and a decent pair of socks (kept pretty dry for three hours in constant rain at weekend, but not warm enough). I’m looking for some boots I could still wear overshoes over in the absolute worst conditions.

The Lake CX145 have a wide option but seem a little pricey. The Shimano RW5 are better value but I am not sure what the width is like.

I will go and try some on but am looking to see if there is anything out there I have missed?

Thanks

ton

sidi frost gore. sidi diablo mega. rose bikes do good winter boots too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have a pair of shimano wide fit road shoes, they’re REALLY wide. Actually too roomy without winter socks (there’s a wrinkle in the upper in summer but not where it would rub) , but then nothing else was a comfortable. So my winter setup is waterproof socks, overshoes, and tape over the vents in the sole. It’s not watertight like northwaves + gaiters off road, but I don’t tend to ride through fords on the road bike! But Shimano don’t make their winter shoes in a wide fit AFAIK.

Northwave boots aren’t as wide around the ball of the foot, but don’t pinch uncomfortably (most of the tightening is around the arch so they feel more like a small sole and a wrapped around upper on my feet). So I can feel the sides, but it’s never bothered me even on 90+ mile days. £150, but well worth it, they last years and do a really good job of making winter rides actually a pleasure. I’m usually really tight and stingy when it comes to spending money on cycling, but life’s too short to not ride for half the year, or ride for half the year in cold/wet misery. The last two winters my singlespeed* has been worth less than my boots!

If SIDI fit and they do a wide version, then as Ton says, get the winter version of what you have.

*ignoring the fact the bike is s/h and the boots bought new, and I changed bikes regularly but the boots are now in their 7th winter.

k1100t
    Free Member

Lake maybe expensive, but if you actually have wide feet, they are the dogs dangley bits.

ibnchris

Plus one for the Lakes. I have a set of the mx145s in wide fit. Best riding boots or shoes I’ve ever had. Much better for than the sidi mega I have.

Might be spenny but worth every penny

mcnultycop

I’ll go and try the Lakes somewhere, and look up what I can in Sidi boots. I do have wide feet, measured by the bike fitter!

crikey
    Free Member

I have a sneaky suspicion that you live near to me, how big are your feet?

shoesis

mcnultycop

I’m a 9.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the above boots in an EU 44, US 10 which I think is a uk 9…ish.

Free to you, needs an SPD pedal, I’m in Uppermill…

linusr

I have a pair of Specialized Defroster. Warm and waterproof, as long as water doesn’t run down your shins and ankles into them. Mine are nearly ten years old and I have worn them every winter. You won’t need overshoes with them for temperatures above freezing. Not cheap, but they keep my feet warm and I am very susceptible to cold feet. They are very similar to the Lake and Shimano shoes mentioned above. I wear DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks with them which are quite thick so you need to make sure the fit is not too tight.

mcnultycop

Crikey – I’ll take you up on that thanks. I’m only in Royton.

crikey
    Free Member

Can you get to the Hospital on Friday between 1pm and 9pm?

qtip

Northwave winter boots fit my wide size 12s perfectly.

TiRed

Sidi Diablo. Wore mine for three and a half hours last night with toasty toes. I wear long merino socks over bib tights to keep the calves. Warm it really helps

Onzadog
    Free Member

For those who use the widest of Lake shoes, how high is the arch support? I’ve got wide and flat feet but lots of wide stuff seems to have lots of arch support that I don’t want.

k1100t
    Free Member

@Onzadog no idea, I run custom footbeds in mine to provide proper arch support, so have never used the original footbeds.

SimonR

Northwave seem to work well on my fat feet 🙂 Got a pair or Arctic GTX winter boots and a pair of the Arctic shoes too and they both fit well without having to size up.

Really like the fit of Specialized shoes (got a pair for summer riding) but I couldn’t get into the winter boots without a proper wrestle because of the neoprene cuff.

Jamz
    Free Member

I have the Lakes and I would say that although they are very good and fully waterproof, they are not a warm shoe.

isoo
    Free Member

@Onzadog I have high arches, so might not be qualified, but the stock insoles are fairly mellow. I just went and measured the highest point of the arch to be 3 cm up when the insole is laid on a table. The material is also softish foam, so there’s nothing rigid under the arch.

The actual footbed of the shoe is lower still, I’d estimate that there’s about a centimeter of space between the (removable) insole (at 3cm above the ball of the feet to bottom of heel -line) and the bottom of the shoe.

Quite confusing, but I hope it makes some sense, not my first language and all that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wide Winter Road Boots’ is closed to new replies.