• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by benz.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wide-range 8 Speed. Wish me luck
  • benz
    Free Member

So, existing bike had Shimano 8 speed shifter and max 34t on cassette.

Now sporting same Shimano 8 speed shifter, but with Microshift Acolyte 12>46 cassette and a Sunrace M9/RDM900 9 speed rear mech and KMC 8 speed chain to suit.

Seems to work fine so far…it’s on an ebike so durability will be interesting. 46t is likely also not needed….but there if ever needed.

belgianwaffle1

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the derailleur, I am thinking of using it for a wide range 10 speed setup with road shifters.

VanHalen

i dunno if i was unlucky, or poor installation, but i found my first Advent X 10sp cassette wore fast on the eeb – seemed to skip in one gear – the one i use 80% of the time. I`ve slapped another on to see if its my hamfistedness that killed it. the lockring wasnt ‘basterd tight’ on the one i took off so there is possibility it wasnt fitted right to start.

I`m absolutely loving the 10sp though – so much better than the 12sp sram garbage. even if i have to buy loads of cassettes.

radbikebro

My ebike has 12 speed set up and I’ve absolutely no idea why – I rarely ever use the top 3-4 gears, 10 speed or less but with more durability would be ideal!

chiefgrooveguru

“i dunno if i was unlucky, or poor installation, but i found my first Advent X 10sp cassette wore fast on the eeb – seemed to skip in one gear – the one i use 80% of the time.”

I normally wear out SLX 11 speed cassettes annoyingly fast from doing a lot of commuting on the Levo (600 good miles, then 600 progressively worse miles, not skipping but worse and worse gear changing and hunting between sprockets before it’s unrideable).

I tried a Microshift 11 speed cassette earlier this year and it was skipping teeth within a few weeks, maybe 200 miles of use. I guess the steel just isn’t hard enough for ebike torque.

ajantom

Does it index ok? As I thought the Acolyte groupset wasn’t Shimano compatible.
    But if it works then crack on 😁

I’ve been running an Acolyte shifter, cassette and mech for a couple of months now, and it’s been pretty much faultless. Don’t really notice it’s there, which is as it should be for gears.

benz
    Free Member

Only Acolyte bit is the cassette. Certainly seems to change just fine. We’ll see how it goes…I suspect the 46t cog will never be used…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.