• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wide half link
  • Tim
    Free Member

I’ve had a Google and can’t find anything…but a long shot… does anyone know of a wide half link that will work with a NW chainring?

Sort of imagining a link that goes on the outside of two ‘wide’ half links rather than replacing a full link, if that makes any sense…

This may be dumb 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

A half link wouldn’t work with a NW chainring because it would mean the chain would not alternate between N&W links. You’d get two N or 2 W links adjacent which wouldn’t mesh with the teeth

epicyclo

joemmo
    A half link wouldn’t work with a NW chainring because it would mean the chain would not alternate between N&W links. You’d get two N or 2 W links adjacent which wouldn’t mesh with the teeth

Perhaps if he used a NW with and odd number of teeth.

Oh… 🙂

But on a more serious note, it might hep if the OP stated the purpose, eg for a single speed or hubgear?

Tim
    Free Member

I know a normal halflink won’t work 🙂 hence talking about a ‘wide’ derivative

It’s to get better tension on single speed without spending on a new chainring

scaredypants

still wouldn’t work – yr chain would go N-W-N-W-W-N-W-N

and at the point of the 2 Ws it’d lose sync with the chainring

spooky_b329

Agree with the others, there is no way to use a half link with a narrow-wide, doesn’t matter how clever you get with the link itself.

belugabob
    Free Member

You have to have some kind of tensioner.
    The difference that half a link makes, is not much, though.

Tim
    Free Member

It would n-w-w-w-n wouldn’t it?

Either way, I shan’t bother 😉

It’s got a tensioner but is a bit of chain stretch of being able to take a link out

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wide half link’ is closed to new replies.