Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Wide fitting flat shoes?
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I have been on Specialized 2FO for the past couple.of pairs and they fit fine. I just bought a pair of new 2FO Roosts which are markedly narrower, so have to go back. As often happens, the last must have changed.

What flat shoes out there with equal or greater width than old 2FOs?

Thanks all.

dyna-ti

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick – in case there are any helpful answers.

Desperately holding onto an old pair of VXI that seem to be wider than anything around now.

Considering switching to Pedalling Inovations Catalyst Evo and using an Altra trail running shoe.

andy5390

Shimano SPDs have always fitted me well, I would assume their flats would be similar sizing.

hooli

I opened this to post Specialized 2FO but I guess I must have the old style. I’ll keep an eye on this thread as mine could do with replacing soon.

dlr

Had the same issue years back when Five Ten started making theirs narrower. 2F0 weren’t wide enough for me, that was a few years back. Only ones I found to fit 3 years ago were the Mavic Deemax Elite. Terrible grip compared to my old five tens though and now starting to fall apart so also looking for other options. I tried Shimano back then as well and too narrow.

Doesn’t help that most companies refuse to make their shoes in large sizes either, stopping at tiny size 12 etc

BillOddie

I have what can only be described as Hobbit Feet.

The clip in Shimano AM shoes fit me well, was tempted by their GR9s when I made the swap to flats but was put off by some of the reports stating lack of grip.

Ended up with Ride Concepts and I went up 1/2 a size and find them to be comfy and sticky on the pedals.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Crank brothers stamp wider than 5:10s if that’s helpful.

chrisdw
    Free Member

My Northwave Tribes are very wide. Especially in the toes. Which was surprising as I normally wear ‘barefoot’ shoes and find most normal shoes too narrow at the front. These are by far the roomiest toe box flat shoes ive tried.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Cheers, Tribes ordered. I’ll report back how I get on. They are very fairly priced.

doomanic

How do the Tribes size up?

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I’m 46 in most shoes inc. 2FO but I do have NorthWave roady winder boots in a 47. The reviews say the Tribes are snug, so I ordered 47 in them too.

doomanic

Thanks.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tried a 2FO Roost yesterday and still not enough room in the toe box. Anyone know how the RC Hellion compares? Is that a wide or narrow shoe?

How grippy is the Northwave sole? Anyone had theirs turn up yet to comment on fit or grip?

BillOddie

Anyone know how the RC Hellion compares? Is that a wide or narrow shoe?

As above I have wide hobbit feet and I also have the Hellion Elites and I would say that that they are quite wide.

I’m a 44 in Shimano and went for a 44.5 in RC with the view that I would need a thicker waterproof sock in winter, if I buy another set for summer use then I would go down a 1/2 size.

dlr

Looks like the Hellion only goes up to a 12 sadly. Tribe go a size bigger, number of reports that they rip at the laces though but I might risk a pair

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Barefoot shoes are great for flat pedal riding, despite not having sticky rubber soles still offer excellent grip and feel because the sole is so much thinner, you can get away with a much less aggressive pedal with shorter pins which is safer as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I do wonder if Altra shoes that are too tired for running might work with some catalyst pedals for support.

Not much toe protection though.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

My 47 tribes arrived (I’m a 46 in everything elese). The fit has a broad forefoot (at least equal to the width of the old/wide 2FO). Toe box is almost square so genreous there too. I didn’t get excessive length by sizing up either.

Not ridden in them yet so cant comment on grip, other than to say the soles are sticky to the touch like a box-fresh tyre, but that prob doesn’t mean much.

One thing I do notice just walking around the house is that that uppers do feel quite quite flexy and unstructured, compared to the old 2FOs which were basically hard plastic. Again, yet to see how that plays out on the trail. I think on refelection that the heavier-duty Clans would have been more comparable to my previous sets of 2FOs, but I’ll see how I go with these tribes first. No harm in trying something a bit different, especially for £60.

mudfish

I’d be interested to know how the Tribes seem to wear. Pedal feel and grip compared to 510.
    And the Clan? Anyone?
    Not only have 510 gone narrower but the quality seems down too. The uppers wear. The soles pretty soon start to delaminate the tacky layer, when / where the pins bite in. My 510 Freerider Contact Vxi we’re ok on wideness but have gone that way. (They are the ones with the untreaded area)
    I have “Vivo barefoot) shape feet (but would be scared to ride with no toe protection) and the SamHill 510 shoes fit me ok. They look like the old Impact style but are updated. More waterproof too. Well at least they dry ok and don’t have the old Impact “sponge” effect of doubling in weight after a few puddles.. I’ve not yet seen the sole start to delaminate on those.

doomanic

My 47 tribes arrived (I’m a 46 in everything elese). The fit has a broad forefoot (at least equal to the width of the old/wide 2FO). Toe box is almost square so genreous there too. I didn’t get excessive length by sizing up either.

Mine have arrived too. Like you, I’m a 46 in normal shoes and I’m wondering if I could have got away with 46s as the Tribes are nice and wide, unlike 5-10s.

Not sure if I want to pay for next day delivery on the off chance though.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Maiden voyage for the Tribes today. Pouring rain and drenched trails.

Fit is excellent, grip is really poor compared to Specialized SlipNot 2nd gen compound/pattern. I have Burgtec Mk10 pedals which have prominent pins, but I was all over the shop today.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Grip wise, it does seem like Specialized SlipKnot and Ride Concepts DST4.0 are the only ones comparable to 5:10 stealth S1

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I have Clans, with Deity Deftraps. I think based on a handful of rides they are as grippy as my Freerider Pros, despite the sole being harder to the touch.

Certainly more supportive of the foot. I have 2fos also but they don’t seem to suit my arches, grip is good though.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Tribes going to charity shop.

Hellion Elites size 46 ordered.

I’m so scunnered with this quest that if the Hellion Elites work out then I thik I’ll buy ten more pairs to see me out the rest of my days.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just sent some Hellion Elites back. No wider than the Impact Pro or Freerider Pro but they had a strange raised section on the lateral aspect of the midfoot. Like a shallow arch support on the outside edge of the foot. It just felt like that would be really uncomfortable after a long day in the saddle. Noticed it on two different pairs.

doomanic

I rode my Tribes for the first time yesterday. Grip on Nukeproof Neutrons seemed good, but it wasn’t exactly a challenging route and it was over 25deg and sunny. They aren’t wet weather shoes though, so I’m not sure why you would buy them to use in the winter. I’ve got another ride tomorrow over more challenging terrain.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I didnt buy the Tribes to wear in winter. I’ve just been in the habit of wearing the same pair of 2FO shoes all year round and haven’t ever perceived a change in grip in different conditions.

@Onzadog
    , I have my own insoles so no worries there, but concerning that that you say they are no wider that 5:10 Pros. I was just going on BillOddie’s advice.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think it must boil down to where they are, or aren’t wider.
    My big toe is in a straight line from the inside edge of my foot and the little toe is a line from the outside edge. My toes don’t taper in at all.

I tried my Hallion with superfeet black inside but it still felt like my feet were being tipped inwards. However, when it comes to my feet, I’m very “princess and the pea” so you might have more luck than me.

For reference, my feet are 270x102mm

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

ok so it sounds like they have a wide forefoot but a narrower toe box. I’ll see how I get on.

By the way its Burgtec Penthouse Mk5 I have, not mk10!

doomanic

Another ride on the Tribes today. Very rocky and rough and they worked well. I had a couple of moments where I nearly lost the pedal but I suspect they were down to the set up of the hire bike rather than the shoes. When I needed to adjust my foot position I had to consciously unweight the pedal to do it.

Ride Concepts shoes have been a revelation for me. So glad I tried some on on the off chance. I give them a look if you have a chance.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Yeah the RC Hellion Elite 46 is no wider than 2FO Roost or 5:10 freerider pro. Too tight for me (284×115), so sending them back.

Going by the other comments on this thread the Tribes are ok in the dry so I’ll hold onto them for summer use.

I’m snookered in the wet though, maybe I need to return to spds.

mudfish

Winter.
    5-10 SamHill Impacts (look like the original impacts but are updated and far more water resistant. The only 510s that fit my “Vivobarefoot) size feet.
    I use with Sealskinz.
    Or
    You COULD use the Vivobarefoot Tracker waterproof.

mudfish

This
    https://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/products/five-ten-impact-sam-hill-mountain-biking-shoes?variant=32572785524820&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=brands&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqp-LBhDQARIsAO0a6aLhmkrysJvGIIV8h9-htQZnxo5Y0c8_mAzbVaYq_TSWpIfZ05ev41IaAsV2EALw_wcB
    They size quite small IMO. Especially when leaving room for Sealskinz with liner socks – or Thorr-Lo mountaineering socks.
    Plenty width and warm dry feet.
    Sealskinz do fail if the membrane is overstretched. The ones with a rubbery strip at the top are best at keeping water out.
    That combo works well for me in the Sussex Downs where there tends to be a lot of standing water.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Just to close out this thread because I suspect this is a popular theme, I recently bought 2FO DH flats and they are wider than roosts. With a bit of shoelace management (loose towards the toes, tighter towards the knot) they fit perfectly and the grip in all weathers is superb.

The reason I didn’t try them 10 months ago is that Specialized advised that DH was exactly the same last as roosts (which were too narrow for me). In hindsight there’s obviously more to fit that just last.

sirromj

Semi PSA Tredz have the Ride Concepts Vice for £44.95 at certain sizes, and if they give you a £5 off code that’s under £40 inc free delivery. The Vice apparently isn’t great for proper MTB, but for street/commutes/casual can’t go wrong for that price. I had to size up to get the sale price but apparently they recommend that anyway.

kimbers

I found that the default option of freerider pros were too narrow in the toe box

I ended up with Shimano gr7 as these were more comfortable, tho not quite as grippy

mjsmke

I’ve had some luck getting shoes stretched. I know they’re not flat but managed to stretch a pair of Specialized Recon 3’s to fit. Shoe stretcher over about 4 weeks worked well. Might have just been lucky with the material though.

mjsmke

I do wonder if Altra shoes that are too tired for running might work with some catalyst pedals for support.

Not much toe protection though.

I really hope Altra will start making SPD shoes one day. Perfect shape.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.