Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wibbly Wobbly Tyre
  • Nobby

On a ride the other evening I noticed the front end of my bike felt a bit weird & on closer inspection it seemed I’d buckled the front wheel. Last night I took a good look & the wheel itself seems to be running true but the tyre itself appears to have deformed.

Anyone else experienced this or is it even likely? There’s a bit of me thinks I’m going mad but the DIY-wheel-true-checker-cable-tie definitely shows the rim’s fine.

The tyre’s a Rocket Ron Pacestar Snakeskin 2.25 btw.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Let the tyre down, leaving it on the rim, wiggle it about left to right, then pump it back up. Sounds like it isn’t seated 100% all the way round.

alfabus
    Free Member

might just not be seated correctly.. .does the bead look even all around?

have you tried pumping it up hard (60psi?) to get it to pop on the bead properly?

Dave

boxfish
    Free Member

Is the tyre new? I have this with a new Racing Ralph 2.25″ Evo. It was seated properly after the initial tubeless inflation but there was a 10 mm buckle in the tyre. Got in touch with the retailer, sent it back and received a refund.

eskay

OK – no inuendo whatsoever!

Try lubricating the rim with a spot of washing up liquid, pump it hard and hopefully it will pop into place.. 😯

lune
    Free Member

My Rocket Ron has just done this recently too!

Been seated fine on the rim for months, come down one morning to find the tyre has popped off rim and splattered sealant everywhere.
    When I refitted the tyre and inflated there was a irregularity in an area which gave the illusion of a buckle when the wheel span.
    I re fitted the tyre a few times and inflated following all the instructions out there, each time the tyre distorted in the same place.
    I removed the tyre and on close inspection the bead appears to be faulty/damaged in the area where it’s distorted under inflation…

I’ve put it down to a knackered tyre and am in the process of sourcing a replacement. Not happy as the tyre is otherwise un damaged and loads of tread left:-(

Mine was Evo Pacestar triple (non snakeskin). Bought them nearly new s/hand so doubtful I can claim anything under Schwalbe warranty. Disappointing if it’s not a one off as they’re not exactly cheap.

mick_r

Probably not beaded properly.

There is usually some sort of circular moulding line around most tyres to use as a reference. Is the gap between this line and the rim bead even all the way round, or does it dip / maybe dissappear under the rim edge at the location of the wibble? Running off road with it not properly beaded usually ends up in fairly rapid damage of the sidewall and a knackered tyre (rim edge rubbing slightly higher up tyre sidewall rather than on the thicker bit where it is supposed to bead).

We’ve recently trashed a Nobby Nic and a Panaracer Rampage by ignoring persistent wibbles. Now very careful about getting them to seat (soapy water and lots of air pressure).

Nobby

Thanks all.

I have tried deflating & reinflating to 55psi – it pops & pings & seems to be evenly seated all around the bead, both sides. It certainly hasn’t been losing air either.

I’ll have another go later, with loads of lubing, and see if it sorts it – if not, I’m not sure I can be bothered sending it back to the .de retailer.

Nobby

Mine was Evo Pacestar triple (non snakeskin). Bought them nearly new s/hand so doubtful I can claim anything under Schwalbe warranty. Disappointing if it’s not a one off as they’re not exactly cheap.

Never had an issue with the standard pacestar ones I have – I only bought the snakeskin version as a few folk managed to convince me I’d die riding the others in Wales.

dknwhy

Had this with a Kenda Nevegal tyre. Fine for ages (12 months+), then thought i’d buckled the wheel but turned out to become deformed over a period of time. Hadn’t removed it for a puncture or anything like that but it was pretty low on tread anyway so just binned it.

DougD

I’m currently having this issue with a NN pacestar 2.25, going to swap the tyres over to see if there is the same problem and to rule out any rim faults.

lune
    Free Member

Probably not beaded properly.

There is usually some sort of circular moulding line around most tyres to use as a reference. Is the gap between this line and the rim bead even all the way round, or does it dip / maybe dissappear under the rim edge at the location of the wibble? Running off road with it not properly beaded usually ends up in fairly rapid damage of the sidewall and a knackered tyre (rim edge rubbing slightly higher up tyre sidewall rather than on the thicker bit where it is supposed to bead).

I know exactly the line you’re on about and this wasn’t the case for mine. Soundly mounted all the way round both before and after the paranormal phenomena of the tyre popping off the rim during the night!

Nobby

Much faffing, including putting it on a different rim altogether, shows it is definitely the tyre.

Bought ’em at an event so can’t for the life of me remember which shop it was – guess I’ll try emailing Schwalbe UK .

PJay
    Free Member

I had a real run of issues with Intense tyres where some of the threads in the tyres would snap and the tyre would deform – the tread would kink sideways and there’d be a pronounced bulge in the tyre (the worn part of the tyre in the picture is the high point)

julianwilson
    Free Member

ooh, my (admittedly rather old but only maybe 1/3 worn tread-wise) intense system 2 did that ^^ a few months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wibbly Wobbly Tyre’ is closed to new replies.