Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • whyte t129 s
  • stevelolly
    Free Member

Anyone got one or ridden one ? Seriously tempted and seen the good review in a recent mag but would like some real world feedback .

Cheers
    Steve

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Mine has been delayed until Mach so cant give feedback yet 🙁

stevelolly
    Free Member

Found one nearby in a medium so off to look at it tomorrow 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Yes I’ve ridden one.

Wrote a bit about it on here a while back. I’ll find the link in a bit and post it up.

Very good though. Would buy one in a heartbeat if I needed a new bike right now.

stevelolly
    Free Member

Cool, cheers mboy 🙂

joepose
    Free Member

Was very tempted by the 129s, but the feedback on the 146s really put me off – frames snapping at low speed?
    Wait for the reviews to come out…..

stevelolly
    Free Member

The 146s is a totally different frame to the 129s. Do Whytes have frame problems in general ?

crftom
    Free Member

Been out on mine today awesome bike I’ve got the 129 my bro has the 129-s got to be one of the best 29er full sus out there for the money

ddevil
    Free Member

I rode the test bike that ATB’s product trainer Neil had at our shop and I was mega impressed. I ordered one right away in September and that’s her just arrived today. I cant wait to jump aboard and test the new rims on it! I was really impressed with how well the bike handled, in particular how it sailed over jumps. I was super impressed with how “aggro” the handling was, contrary to everything else I’ve heard about 29ers! Even during the standard issue “carpark test” the bike felt more nimble, easier to manual, hop, carve etc! I’d highly recommend the bike to anyone looking for a 29er they can thrash like a big bouncy 26″ trail bike, just not anyone who needs a bike very quickly as there aint too many available just yet unfortunately as there are a lot of pre-orders. Ill let you all know in six months if the aggro handling has a serious impact on the skinny wtb rims… I imagine I’ll have some new wheels by then!

ddevil
    Free Member

Stevelolly, I haven’t seen any 146s back with frame issues personally, they don’t have many, if any, issues with frames.Plus, any issues any of our customers have had with warranties, ATB have honoured. Plus, free frame pivot bearings for life, how can you argue with that!?

stevelolly
    Free Member

Cool , thanks for the input guys. Hoping to go tomorrow , the one they have was going on the hire fleet but they said I can have it. Weather for our area looks crap for midday tomorrow though so will have to see .

crftom
    Free Member

Atb have plenty instock just the large t-129s is out till 1st of march but they have the large in the 129 if you can’t wait

granny_ring

ddevil, do a search on here for 146 frame issues. Think Whyte were sorting them out but a long time lapse. Not good if you’ve only got 1 bike…..

I’ve had Marin full sussers and like them and agree about the bearing warranty but would wait and see if these new Whyte frames and more reliable than the 146. As they’re alloy and not carbon, I’d guess they would be.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah it is the large I am waiting on. It was scheduled for this week so I was feeling a bit put out! With the weather though…

mboy
    Free Member
    stevelolly
    Free Member

Cheers mboy .

Mbnut
    Free Member

Any know a weight for the T129S

Cheers

crftom
    Free Member

A medium is 13kg

Mbnut
    Free Member

I am old… so that is 28.6lbs… ummm, it would have been nice if it had been a bit lighter, I do have some fairly nice bits I can swap over so should see it under 28lbs…

Tempted

stevelolly
    Free Member

Had a look yesterday but didn’t get to try it as the weather was rubbish. Nice bike and looked well finished but don’t want to commit until I’ve tried one. How do you guys that own one find them as a general xc bike? Most my riding has been trail centres and local and don’t want to be over biked.
    They had a bargain epic comp fsr in store and got me thinking that it would suit my needs more but didn’t have the wow factor of the Whyte.

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t own one, but if I could only have one bike, it would be very high on the list.

120mm of travel both ends is just about right IMO, not too little to be effective on the rough stuff, not too much to make if heavy and wallowy. It’s a fast bike, both up and down. SRAM kit aside (I’d replace with SLX or XT) it’s a perfect allround FS bike IMO.

GaryLake
    Free Member

A medium is 13kg

Is that the reverb equipped one with Pedals… I doubt it very much. I’ve ridden one and I reckon 30lb once the pedals are on would be my guess. MBR had it at 29.1lb but don’t specifiy whether that was with pedals or not.

It was good but I thought the M-109 was not far behind on the downs but felt more lively and more fun to ride. At the press launch we all rushed for the T-129 but were fighting over the M-109 by the end.

si69jc
    Free Member

Rode mine on a fairly Xc 26 miles last weekend and was fine! Coming from a 26″ hardtail I absolutely love it!

si69jc
    Free Member

I’ve put hope m4’s and egg beaters on my t129s ( with reverb) and it was 13.6 kg all in medium!

KevinPP
    Free Member

Got one for a test ride this weekend. 😀 Tried the 109 and was not overly impressed. Handles nice but just rode ‘heavy’ (and felt it too compared to my 146). The 129 felt lighter in the LBS, even though I know it’s not.
    For me it’s a choice between the 129 and the Spesh Camber, which was a very nice ride.

As for the 146, the new frame is in a different league to the early ones. No paint to hide the cheap filler the factory used to save money. They look very classy and I just happen to have a frame for sale in the classifieds…

granny_ring

Good sales pitch 🙂

charliemort

Capt. Kronos – I’d check the sizing. I sat on a medium and it felt right – didn’t ride it though. I’m 6 foot and usually ride large frames……… so if you are not mahoosively tall it may be worth trying medium

si69jc
    Free Member

Im 5 10 and the medium fits me really well, i suspect someone abit taller would fit a medium too!

crftom
    Free Member

I’m 5 9 on a medium with most of the supplied 350mm seat post showing

mattjg
    Free Member

Interested in these.

Sizing: Whyte say ETT on a ‘small’ is 596mm, my ‘medium’ Swift (the smallest Singular make) was 592mm I believe.

So perhaps Whyte’s small means “smallest we make” not “for weeny people”.

Anyone my size (5’8″ with 31″ inside leg) ridden one?

mattjg
    Free Member

(and is the carbon wheelset a worthwhile upgrade?)

mattjg
    Free Member

M109, and those lovely carbon wheels, look nice too.

Clink

Sizing: Whyte say ETT on a ‘small’ is 596mm, my ‘medium’ Swift (the smallest Singular make) was 592mm I believe.

So perhaps Whyte’s small means “smallest we make” not “for weeny people”

Their whole design involves long top-tubes compared to other makes.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I am old… so that is 28.6lbs… ummm, it would have been nice if it had been a bit lighter,

A FS 29er with 120mm and a dropper post for £2k and you reckon it ought to be lighter! 😯

I’ve seen a medium up on Park tool scales at 13kg but it was minus pedals. IMO it’s a bit under-tyred for what it is though which flatters the weight.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I said ‘would be nice’… which it would have been, as you say some tougher treads and pedals make for a 30lbs bike… a touch heavy in my book but again as you say for the money not bad.

Geometry is king so if it weighs a pound and a half more than i’d like but has great geo that works for me i’d be happy.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I rode one a while back, it was good fun. Wrote about it here:

http://www.southdownshosting.co.uk/smtbsite/2012/09/whyte-t-129/

The one I rode was a demo and didn’t have the normal spec, so I can’t really comment on that. If it was me I’d want to dump all the SRAM stuff for shimano anyway as I can’t stand it!

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Just so people know on the sizing, I test road both the medium and large frames. I’m six foot or a tiny bit less and i put a deposit down on the large. The large just felt a lot more stable and faster on the downs than the medium, which just didn’t feel as good. This is me who’s been riding a medium cannondale for 3 years.I always suspected that it was too small! Per The whyte size chart it said i should have been on a large too. The best description i can give would be monster truck. awesome. Totally unfit having not really ridden for a month and a bit due to knee problems i still managed to put pb’s on a lot of segments on a strava loop i do.

I’m sat waiting for my LBS to call me saying its here. Impatient is the word.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Cool, enjoy it!

Northwind

ddevil – Member

Stevelolly, I haven’t seen any 146s back with frame issues personally, they don’t have many, if any, issues with frames.

Raised eyebrow- of the 3 people I know who had 146s, one of them has been lucky enough to only need it replaced under warranty once.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

I got mine today. After a quick local ride all I can say is awesome. So glad I went for it. The large is bang on for me. Maybe a shorter stem in the future and definitely some new tyres. Pretty hopeless in mud but fingers crossed we might have a nice dry summer! The spec on mine is different from the early released ones too. Black hubs not green, reverb not Hilo, 200mm and 180 discs not 180 and 160. The colour seems different too. More black than the charcoal. Looks great though. Atb have sold out of mediums according to my lbs. what shops have is now all they’ll get. Now maybe a set of green easton havoc bars…….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘whyte t129 s’ is closed to new replies.