Whyte T-130 sizing. M or L?

Home Forum Bike Forum Whyte T-130 sizing. M or L?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Whyte T-130 sizing. M or L?
  • Mowgli

Pretty much decided to look for a s/h T130 for my girlfriend, who is 6′. Although the size chart suggests she should be a large, most of her height is in the legs and she generally chooses frame sizes one step down from recommended to allow a shorter reach, and just accept a longer seatpost is required (and a few spacers under the stem). I’m wondering if this will work though, given the slack seat tube angle and low top tube will need a 500mm post and put the weight directly over the back wheel. Any thoughts from owners? As we’re going secondhand I’d like to get an idea of sizing before going to (possibly) waste someones time.

FWIW my Medium rocket fits her fine, just want something a little less burly.

Cheers,

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

A large would be my suggestion. They come stock with a 50mm stem so if it is too long you can always run a 35mm stem and push the saddle forward. If she was 5’10ish then she could maybe get away with a medium, but at 6ft 1 myself I ride a large T130C and find it fits perfectly.

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

Defo a large. Brother has just bought a large and is 5.10. I am 6′ with long legs and I wouldn’t want it any smaller.

Mowgli

Thanks chaps – confirms what I’d thought.

patriotpro

Medium would be my advice. With a small torso, the reach will feel looooooong on the large.

She’ll be fine with either tbh.

Re the stem: you can’t really go much lower than stock without affecting the handling too much either.

I went to 33mm and was way too twitchy went ascending.

I’d go large, I’m 5’9 and bought mine off a lady actually, she was about my height too, but of course it’s down to personal preference really, I like the long top tube that the large gives, some wont

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

6’0 here on a medium.

Large felt massive.

And that’s a shorter TT 15 model

stevextc

I’m 5’10” but short legs .. if there is anything I don’t like about the T-130 its that I have a max 125mm dropper..

I’m forever running out of clearance and smacking myself in the arse mid-air…

Premier Icon superstu
    Subscriber

Large all day long IMHO

Premier Icon asbrooks
    Subscriber

It depends on the which years model you buy. I am smack bang between the two sizes, only in differing proportions and a couple on inches shorter.

This years Medium would be perfect for me as the seat tube is short enough to accept a 120mm dropper and long enough for my long torso.

Previous years Medium would be too short for my torso and the seat tube just short enough to accept the 120mm dropper.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28VXbge]2018-07-08_11-45-20[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

That’s my seatpost on the M @ 6’0

stevextc

That’s my seatpost on the M @ 6’0

Yep, I wish I could get the extra 2.5cm … the 125mm (Thomson) seat post is slammed and just right when at full extension for pedalling but when dropped I’d love another 2.5cm of clearance when doing jumps.

Its not pleasant trying to bring the front wheel down to match the landing and running out of bum height…

(2105 T-130 M)

rascal

Gotta love STW – as consistently inconsistent as ever with answers to a given question 😉

FWIW I have a large T130RS and I’d say I was a ‘normally’ proportioned 6 footer – spot on size with 50mm stem.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Gotta love STW – as consistently inconsistent as ever with answers to a given question

It’s a near impossible question to answer though as a lot comes down to personal prefrence.

In theory i’m too big according to charts etc for my M…. but I absolutely love it. It’s the only bike i’ve bought and never looked again at other bikes to replace it even after nearly 2 years.

Definitely large. I’m 5’10 (and a bit!) and large is great. Also had a sit on an XL and it didn’t feel crazy big…

stevextc

Definitely large. I’m 5’10 (and a bit!) and large is great. Also had a sit on an XL and it didn’t feel crazy big…

Like Weeksy says ….

I’m also 5’10” and a bit and I was stuck between a Small and Medium… I tried both and ended up going with the extra stability and chucked on a shorter stem … like Weeksy I’m really happy with the bike… not looking to change but the one thing I really want is more bum height…

At this point of course it has 140mm Pikes and an ML3 shock..(thanks bacon) . cranks got changed before I even rode it was the 175mm cripple me… oh and different wheels and …. but regardless the frame feels great except for the limited drop I can get when I’m doing a big double.

I’m sure some of that is just my crap technique but its really not pleasant trying to get the front wheel down when you ran out of leg/bum… I guess I’m not entirely inside design specs when this happens…

phil5556

I’m 5’11 and ride a Large.

I briefly thought it was a bit big but that was because I came from a too small hard tail.

I’ve had a couple of goes on my girlfriend’s medium and it feels tiny.

I’ve put a shorter (35mm I think) stem on it and it feels great now. With the standard stem I got achy shoulders because of too much weight on my arms, probably my lack core strength and technique more than anything though, which I’m working on 🙂

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

I’m 5ft10 and I’m not into the uber long/low/slack current trend…

A Medium T-130 feels very small to me!

From my experience of riding and selling Whytes for a good few years now, on a T-130 if you’re between 5ft9 and 6ft1 99% of the time you’ll be on a large… 6ft1 and up needs an XL (which to be honest, is too small for anyone over 6ft3ish).

FWIW, @ 5ft10 I’m firmly in the Medium category in every other existing bike in Whytes range (in fact, the G-160 felt a bit big in a medium to me!).

For those looking to buy brand new rather than 2nd hand… Bear in mind the T-130 in its current form is over 3 years old now. You might say it was overdue an update and a facelift if you were the cynical sort! 😉

The reason for the mass of confusion in this thread is no-one appears to be thinking about how much the leg to torso ratio affects things – it isn’t a small difference. If you’re 6’ (72”) tall with 36” legs then your head-neck-torso will be 36” long. If you’re 6’ tall with 32” legs then it’ll be 40” long. That’s a difference of 4” or 100mm.

Furthermore, the longer your femurs, when you hip hinge into the attack position, the more your hips will shift rearwards. So your proportion of leg length to height will hugely affect the reach that fits.

There is less than a 20mm difference in reach between sizes and I’ve already shown that there could be more than 100mm difference in the body dimensions that occupy this space.

So in terms of choosing the right reach for her – if your medium Rocket fits well, get the one closest in reach to that.

Regarding the seat tube length and the (as usual) rather slack actual seat tube angle despite the steeper effective seat tube angle, the choice of frame size has no bearing on where her saddle will be at pedalling height. Yes, there will be more post sticking out of the frame on the medium but it will be projecting from the same point, at the same angle, for the same distance. Common misconception!

Mowgli

Chief, that’s a perfect summary, thanks. She tried on a couple of bike yesterday and will be going for a medium – as you point out, relatively long legs (36″) mean the reach is too long on the Large.

Cheers,

chrismac

Large would be my suggestion. My wife whilst being smaller has similar proportions and used to size down for the shorter reach as she found it more comfortable. After a bit of experimentation she now sizes up because the bigger frame has a higher front and and that made more of a difference than the longer reach.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.