Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whyte t 130 or Mondraker foxy r?
  • bighairydel

So I’ve been given the all clear to get a new trail bike and after buying the wrong bike last time I’m keen to find out what people’s experiences of these two and also to see if they are as good as the reviews suggest.
    I currently have a cube fritzz 160 and find it a bit cramped in cockpit and it’s just too much bike for the type of riding I do which is mainly trail centre (glentress) or the odd day in the hills.
    Looking for something quick on the ups as well as downs and something a bit lighter than I currently have. Looking online at reviews etc I’ve narrowed it down to these two, and hopefully Whytes expected stock dates of July are true!

Any other recommendations that I may have missed? Looking for a 1x setup, dropper post and no more than 140mm travel.
    So many choices has me scratching my head !!

Kamakazie

Test ride them and a few others then pick your favourite?
    Especially if you think you made a mistake last time.

bighairydel

Don’t know any dealers up by me that does the foxy and the t130 is sold out uk wide by the looks of things, swung my leg over the medium t130 and was surprised how long it felt, though with me being 6’2 I’d definitely need the large

mboy
    Free Member

Looking online at reviews etc I’ve narrowed it down to these two, and hopefully Whytes expected stock dates of July are true!

A little optimistic I think. I’ve been told to expect end of August more realistically (and I sell them day to day).

Speaking of which… We had a customer cancel his order on a medium T-130 RS just the other day. He’d put a deposit on it weeks ago, rang on Saturday to cancel the order, so we now have probably the only unsold T-130 RS in the UK going spare right now. If you’re medium sized and it takes your fancy, my email is in my profile…

Rockplough
    Free Member

If you go to Glentress anyway why not rent a Whyte from Alpine?

bighairydel

I’ve found a couple of mediums floating about but I’d be a size large unfortunately.

Didn’t know they had the t130 for rent, that could be a good shout, though if it’s gonna be more like august I’m not sure I can hold off that long! 😉

poah
    Free Member

transition scout?

chakaping
    Free Member

Process 134 or Bird Aeris (can be set at 140mm IIRC) possible alternatives? Both nice and long.

jonswhite

I’m 6’2″ and on an XL Foxy. Always felt my old bikes were too short. Really enjoying it. Feels more comfortable and stable on descents. No less manoeuvrable.

lawman91

You wouldn’t be disappointed with either. Own a Foxy carbon and it’s ace, super, scarily stable in the rough and it pedals and climbs very well. Ridden a T130 and it’s equally as good, perhaps slightly less stable and more agile but still a hoot to ride. I am tempted by the T130 as my next bike, my Foxy is set up with a 160mm fork and quite a burly build so thinking a shorter travel bike like the T130 might suit me a smidge better, but both are superb as I say!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Didn’t know they had the t130 for rent

Yeah I’m sure they do. Just don’t rent a T-129 or you’ll end up buying that instead. 😉

kcshaple
    Free Member

Med T-130SR from Winstanley Cycles delivered to me today. Im 5’10.5″ (long back / short legs) and hired the large at Swinley and it felt just too big. Cant wait to get out on Caesers Camp.

stennah
    Free Member

I have just bought a 2011 Mondraker Foxy RR frame quite intrigued to see how it rides having 140mm rev’s on it I love my Trek Fuel Ex 8 so hoping the long top tube will be to my liking

chakaping
    Free Member

I have just bought a 2011 Mondraker Foxy RR frame quite intrigued to see how it rides having 140mm rev’s on it I love my Trek Fuel Ex 8 so hoping the long top tube will be to my liking

If it’s the QR rear version, I’d really recommend getting a bolt-through QR for it like the ones Superstar do – if your hub can take it.

Made a nice difference to my old Foxy.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Mboy you have mail, need some advice on a whyte g160

bighairydel

Well was out at Glentress today and unfortunately the Whytes were all out on hire, however got talking to a guy on a Transition Patrol who very kindly let me have a go. It was an XL though didn’t feel that much longer in the cockpit than my cube, though he was running a 30mm stem. It was impressively sharp turning though, much better than my cube, whether that was down to the stem or the head angles i’m not sure. Still feel like I want something longer in the top tube though so looking at the numbers of the patrol compared to the Whyte there’s not a huge difference where as the Foxy is much longer in the top tube.
    Will need to at least swing my leg over one though as the XL on paper looks very long!

chrispo
    Free Member

My carbon Foxy R 2016 is very very good descending hard but I wouldn’t say it was great climbing, it’s too heavy for that. Also bear in mind that the frame and bb bearings don’t last that long as very exposed, and the other kit is a bit basic (brakes and mechs) and I’ve replaced most of mine with xt. And gone 1x. Both of my team mates have cracked their frames. I love it for enduro racing and socials but it’s hard work on xc-type rides (bear in mind I am an xc rider at heart though!) If I wanted a trail centre bike I’d go for 110 to 120mm. Well actually I’d get a hardtail but that’s another story. 140mm is ott on trail centre stuff imo. I do love my foxy for hammering downhill stupid fast but wouldn’t pay retail for it. Hope that helps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whyte t 130 or Mondraker foxy r?’ is closed to new replies.