Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Whyte T-130 C RS panic
  • chrisorders
    Free Member

Awaiting delivery of a Whyte T-130 C RS but having last minute nerves. Just wondering if it’s silly money for a relatively heavy bike, especially when you can pick up a 2016 Cube Stereo 140 C62 SL for nearly half the price and a good kilo lighter. Any views or opinions on either bike would therefore be appreciated.

iainc

Yep, I ordered an Anthem instead…..

mboy
    Free Member

Weight really isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things…

chrisorders
    Free Member

So if weight isn’t that critical, what is and how do the two do the Whyte and Cube compare? Had looked at an anthem but carbon ones aren’t much less than the Whyte.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

You are worrying for nothing but I do understand why.

Sure the Cube is very nice but the Whyte has trail bike of the year written about it and Cube are not exactly pulling up trees. You chose the bike for a number of reasons and being like an Anthem wasn’t one of them. If you did you should’ve had the Trance in mind.

You’ll love it. And no, I don’t have one.

DickBarton

Why does it need to be carbon? What is bothering you the most – the price of the bike or the weight of the bike?

Sounds like you have a stack of money burning a hole in your pocket and you just want a new bike – if you knew the Whyte was the right bike then you wouldn’t be asking this question.

So, don’t buy anything until you do your research and find the right bike, then spend the cash on it.

Bregante

Dare I ask which one you preferred on your test ride(s)? It’s a big chunk of money to spend on a bike you’re not set on.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Can’t test ride the carbon Whyte as they’re rare. Ridden the Cube properly and the Whyte T-130s both of which felt nice but the S is ally so felt really heavy to me. Just after real world experiences of either bike. I did see a very positive write up on here from a Whyte owner but never see much about Cube.

andy4d

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-cube-bikes-stereo-160-super-hpc-race-27-5-14-48299/

160 stereo I know but good review.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-cube-bikes-stereo-140-hpa-27-5-15-48934/

140 hpa, again good review.

can you tell I just bought a 140 stereo hpa. I was looking at the whyte as well due to the reviews but after getting my 2016 stereo race on crc for £1500 I decided I could not justify the extra £1000 for the whyte. Don’t regret it at all. Anyway, some other bike will be trail bike of the year soon enough.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Good stuff, thanks Andy. Glad to hear I’m not the only one to have struggled with this dilemma. How do you find the Cube on the climbs? The one I tried felt short to me so would need to size up which is common I believe?

andy4d

I am coming from a 26″ hardtail, so my 1st full Susser. I don’t really feel any huge difference on climbs (maybe a wee bit tougher but I am grinning more now). Sizing was an issue. I had a med hardtail that has always felt a touch small (I am 181cm and between sizes usually). Most of my test rides were on large bikes which felt good. The cube large just felt too big for me so went for the medium and it feels right. That said, you picked the whyte for a reason so not trying to put you off. Do what will give you the biggest grin. For me it’s having a good bike AND the spare cash. Well this cash is now being used to build a new hardtail, so I am getting 2 good bikes for the price of one. That makes me feel better than having 1 top notch bike.

paulwf

You have now given me a similar dilemma. I tested the T130C-RS and loved it and was just about to order one – but the cube looks a great spec for money

andy4d

What would annoy you more…
    Getting the whyte and thinking I could of saved a wedge of cash
    Or
    Getting a cube I thinking I could be riding the whyte.

This was how I chose on the end. But I am Scottish and the saving cash was obviously more important to me.

dougieb
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden a T130 so can’t provide a comparison. I do however own a 2016 Cube Stereo 140 C62 which I really enjoy riding. Over the years I’ve owned a few full sussers – Five, Yeti 575, Stumpjumper, Carbon Zesty and without doubt the Stereo is by far my favourite. Climbs brilliantly and very capable on the way back down. It’s quite a lively / poppy bike so great fun.

It’s quite low and I’ve suffered more pedal strikes than any other bike I’ve owned. Also, by modern standards the TT and Reach are pretty short – I’m surprised the 2017 frames don’t have a longer front end. Saying that I’m 5’11 and the 20 inch frame is roomy enough with a 50mm stem and despite being labelled as 20 inch the seat tube is actually only 450mm so plenty stand over. I’m really happy with bike and have no regrets.

Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about the T130’s and it’s picking up bike of the year everywhere – there must be a reason for that.

lawman91

For the love of god don’t go for the Cube! The T130 will run rings round it on the trail, despite the “heavier” build.

For reference I work in the trade and have ridden both and own a 2017 T130C RS. Yes, I was a bit disappointed that my large as stock with XT trail pedals was just over 30lbs. But it felt great to ride. I swapped the wheels to some lighter Pro4/ Arch MK3’s and it feels even better. Sure you can get lighter bikes, the Cube being one, but it isn’t half as good as the Whyte on the trail. My advise is stop looking at spec sheets. It’s a list on the internet, you don’t ride a bike on a list on the internet, you ride it on a trail and it’s there that the Whyte really shines. Don’t get the wrong the Cube is solid, but it’s dull, uninspiring and I’ve seen my share of problems with Cubes as well. Stick with the Whyte, you really won’t regret it!

smogmonster

I think I’m the only person on Earth who took a t130 for a test ride and hated it. I found the front end far too low, and really struggled to get any grip. I was desperate to love it as I was going to buy one. I bought a Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 Plus in the end. Now that is I great bike to ride, light as a fairies fart even with the clown tyres. Almost limitless seeming grip, and a really plush suspension action.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Thanks for all the views, very interesting. So in true problem solving fashion the positives for the bikes are as follows.
    Whyte: – modern geometry, top end component list, boost and all other mtb trends appear to have been incorporated, amazing reviews, lbs are doing it for 3.4k despite the recent price hike to 3.95k so I’m getting some saving, it’s British designed and I’m a true patriot but more importantly it’ll handle the weather and terrain, 4yrs frame warranty isn’t exactly ground breaking but enough time to root out any inherent faults, they are pretty much all sold out in my size so they must be good whereas there are loads of Cubes on the shelf and all at heavily discounted prices.
    Cube: – Superfly weight, 2.1k, very good component list for the money, same frame warranty as Whyte, not really heard a bad word about them and you’d expect something given the value?

So, I wouldn’t be unhappy with either by the sounds of but I would feel happier astride the Whyte if I forget about money, which unfortunately i’m not in a privileged enough position to which is why I’m making such a meal of this! Lawman you had me sold initially but if I’m spending so much money I really don’t want to have to buy new wheels…
    Sorry for putting doubt in you mind too paulwf!

chrisorders
    Free Member

First world problems eh. Who’d heave ’em!?

lawman91

I wouldn’t say you have to replace the wheels, but if you could it would elevate it to a different level! The list of things the Cube has going for it pretty short. I would say being cheaper is the only one that really stands out, the SRAM eagle kit on the T130 is next level, I don’t usually jump on a bandwagon when new stuff first hits the market but it is really, really good. If you have the money, get the Whyte. If getting it means going beyond your means, get the alloy T130 RS instead 😆

chrisorders
    Free Member

Thanks Lawman, you don’t happen to work for Whyte do you? Joking aside, it’s nice to hear someone that is truly happy with their purchase. I take your point on the wheels and I also really value your thoughts as you’ve ridden both… the clock is ticking and a decision is imminent. Thanks peeps for your comments.

nosedive
    Free Member

I test rode a whyte g160 against the carbon 160 hpa. The cube was twitchy, less fun to ride, felt more like an xc bike. The whyte, although heavier was faster, easier to lean over, just generally more fun.

If the same comparison translates to the smaller bikes I wouldn’t be touching the cube

orangespyderman

I’ve seen my share of problems with Cubes

Anecdotal evidence time :

A friend who rides with us has had no end of problems with the suspension on his couple of years old Cube Stereo (HPA something I think – not really sure because I’ve hardly seem him out on it in the last year or so). Seems to be the linkage. He’s a fairly big guy, but not 150kgs, and is a good technical ride not a sack of cement. I was riding behind him one day and told him his back wheel looked loose. In fact one of the bolts holding the linkage together had sheered. His reaction “Oh ****. Not again” 😕

Also it seems to be a PITA to get replacement parts for, and, in the end, he’s had it fixed up just to sell it on.

EDIT : He liked riding it, and it looked like a nice bike, though nothing at all ground-breaking about it (just breaking 😆 ). Has certainly put me off, and I don’t think Cube are really comparable to everything I’ve read about the Whyte.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Anecdotal evidence is exactly what I’m after. I need something that will last many years and twitchy definitely won’t suit my limited ability, so the Whyte is sounding better by the minute.

lawman91

Funnily enough I don’t work for whyte, I actually work in a Cube retailer and we don’t sell Whyte 😆 I could have got a stereo cheaply, very cheaply, but it’s not in the same league of bike as the Whyte.

paulwf

This review seems to like the Cube
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/cube-stereo-140-c62-sl-27-5-review/

In the same grouptest they also reviewed the 2016 Whyte

Battle of the super powers: 9 of the best trail bikes in comparison

pjm7
    Free Member

I changed from a Scott Spark 910 which is a pretty light bike, to a Whyte T130c-works which on paper is a fair bit heavier, but don’t notice it when riding and it’s a far better bike and more fun for what I do. I wouldn’t stress too much about the weight difference.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Thanks paulwf, those two reviews were where I started a few months back and they’ve been the cornerstone of my confusion ever sice! However, I figured a review is the opinion of one person on a brand new bike for a short length of time, which is why I thought I’d try to glean opinion from those that have lived with (or know people that have lived with) the bikes for a little while at least.

cokie

There’s a reason why the Whyte is regarded so highly, where as the Cube rarely, if ever, gets mentioned.

FWIW, I love my T130 RS (so heavier than the C) and couldn’t be happier. Can’t say I have ever noticed the bike being heavy, and certainly doesn’t ride that way. As above, weight isn’t everything, especially for trail bikes. A sorted geometry and component choice is much more important- both of which the Whyte has in spades.

iainc

OP – you say you are coming from a 26 inch hardtail, so any new FS is going to feel different. Definitely worth trying to get a try, or at least a sit on the Whyte, as it is noticeably longer and lower than you are likely used to.

This may or may not be a good or bad thing for you. I found it a bit too low and long as am used to riding a 26 Soul.

paulwf

What did you decide to do?

chrisorders
    Free Member

The Whyte arrives at my lbs early next week but figured if I was going to cancel because I’d simply changed my mind I’d do it before they go through the hassle of getting it in and building it up for me. I’m probably now beyond that point so I think I’m resigned to taking it. I’ve agreed with them that I can have a spin around the car park and still walk away if the sizing is all wrong however. Hopefully that all makes sense!? The Whyte while much more expensive seems the better choice for me as I’d feel really fed up if I spend a still significant sum on a Cube and end up thinking if only I’d spent a bit more when I see a Whyte roll by… or when my Cube breaks! 😉 I will keep you posted. Having said all this, the Transition Scout is a good looking bike!? I don’t need two kidneys, right?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had a lot of Whytes over the years, I appear to have 7 (not all mine) in the garage at the moment 😳 and one thing I know from experience is the warranty service is excellent if you do happen to have a problem, I’ve no idea what the Cube service is like but Whyte/ATB sales will take some beating.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Thanks Dibbs, very reassuring to hear.

fergal
    Free Member

The Whyte does look like a great bike, this doesn’t change the fact that the Stereo is a very capable bike, winning Enduro’s, i have an hpa 140 and really rate it, coming from a 2010 spesh Enduro.

The reviews for the T- 130 are glowing and to be honest it may well be my next bike.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Yeah, I think the Stereo is a fantastic bike from the test ride which is what made this such a difficult decision. I’m sure I would have been happy on either tbh.

dyls

I have the whyte t129rs and that weights 30lbs without pedals. Great trailbike. I would think the carbon t130 version is slightly lighter.

tomaso
    Free Member

Cube are very cheaply made. Mate did some spannering in a lbs building up new bikes and complained bitterly about the total absence of quality of the Cube frames. Said they were hateful things.

There is a reason they are cheap.

chrisorders
    Free Member

So thought I’d just give you an update. I took the plunge and got the Whyte. Took it out for it’s inaugural ride (as it’s a day of inaugurations) and first impressions are that it’s a hugely impressive bike. Feels so solid and well put together. Doesn’t feel heavy when pedalling and size is spot on (XL – i’m 6’2). On the topic of weight, the bike feels heavy when you lift it up, guess the ally rear triangle doesn’t help, for instance I did a side by side test with my mates Intense Tracer 275C (also in an XL) and that felt significantly lighter – impressive considering that’s got 160mm travel! Ignoring weight however, everything else about the bike is spot on. Feels so planted and totally unphased when the going gets rough. Really stable on the ups too. So all in all very pleased.

chrisorders
    Free Member

Lawman – if you see this I’d be keen to know how much weight benefit you saw from changing the wheels out? Not that I will for a while but would be good to know if that’s a beneficial upgrade for the future.

cb

Interested to hear about how you got on with the geometry? I’m in a similar situation but looking at the S model. The sit on it in a shop test felt odd. Very stretched out and weight on the bars if that makes sense?

Also concerned about the 130mm travel and whether that’s enough to compensate for my lack of skill! Also sat on the G160 and that felt more natural to me although a medium felt big enough (1.8m tall). Other choice is Spesh Enduro (Stumpy not for me) and that felt comfy in the shop. Have demos coming up for the Enduro and G160 but seemingly impossible to get a ride on a T130.

All the reviews suggest T130 more than capable downhill but test riders will be better riders than me and I wonder if I might get found out being a bit on the crap side? Keen to know also whether the geometry of the T130 gives if much of an advantage going uphill over the other two, given that its no lighter?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T-130 C RS panic’ is closed to new replies.