Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Whyte T-129 – how wide a rear tyre will fit?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Tempted by a frame, but like the idea of wider rims and tyres and know that the Whyte T-129 models can be a little tight for big back tyres. So in the real world, what internal rim widths (or just what rims) and size and make of tyres are you (or your mate) running on yours?

Hoping I can squeeze in a rim at least 25mm wide internally like a Flow EX.

Ta!

mike399
    Free Member

Im running Hope Tech Enduro rims with 2.2 Maxxis Minions which works well, but I wouldn’t want to go much bigger tyres. Only issue I have is running a dual pull front mech and the tyre rubbing on the bit of the mech that allows the bottom pull cable on full compression. It is due to get cut and filed off when I get the time… Obviously not a problem if running single chain ring.

mboy
    Free Member

2.2″ Conti MK2 (so more like a 2.1″ from anyone else) on a 24mm internal width rim was VERY tight. Anything bigger just wouldn’t work IMO.

This was on a 2015 Works SCR FWIW. New 2016 models with Boost appear to have more clearance, as do the older dual ring models.

st

2.3 Spesh Purgatory for me. I’ve also had the rear wheel dished 3mm to the non drive side as 2 separate wheels seemed to be off towards the drive side when viewed at the chainstay yoke which I’ve read can be an issue with them.

I’m thinking of trying a 2.3 High Roller 2 which I’m hoping will work.

Rickos
    Free Member

Yeah, this would be with no front mech.

mboy – older dual ring models? I’m looking at a 2013 T-129S – is that the sort of thing?

singlecrack
    Free Member

2.2 racing Ralph plenty of room

monkeyboyjc

No idea on rim width – some kinda dt swiss in mine. The rim width won’t matter too much any way ,it’ll just square off the tyre.
    I’ve had a 2.5 kenda in there but it was extremely tight – and rubbed when going around corners.
    I’ve left my 2.0 maxxis madusa in from last winter and had no issue all summer.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Whyte T129s 2015…… I run Easton Haven rims with Racing Ralph 2.25 rear no issues.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Stock rims with Nobby Nic 2.25″ is about as big as I can go. I did have some Bontrager 2.3″ in at some stage and they were okay.

Bigger tyres go with the back wheel redished to account for the tight chain stay. Apparently it is a “design feature” – at least that is what they told me when I said it was a bit rubbish for a trail bike to not take popular sized tyres….

scandal42
    Free Member

I was running a Gato 2.3 in my Scr t129 in summer. Strangely the folding fit but the tnt was too big.

This was on 25mm internal.

freddiest

2014 t-129s. Flow (not ex) rim and ardent 2.25. No problems at all and a great rear tyre for the bike IMO.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

WTB Bronson TCS 2.2 on SSC Sentiniel (26/21mm) set up tubeless fitting just fine. Thinking to go for 27.5+ to gain some air volume…

Cheers!
    I.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies, but I think I’ll give it a miss. It would be an “it’ll do” bike instead of me being patient and getting the actual one or two others I’d rather have. When they come up…

Cheers.

scandal42
    Free Member

You missing out bro 🙂

st

It is a real shame that the frame doesn’t have better clearance as otherwise it’s awesome.

I replaced a Trek Stache HT with the Whyte and whilst the Trek was fun the Whyte is so much better. The short back end seems to deal with a lot of the sluggishness I found with the Trek which makes it a great, fun bike for a big wheeler.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yeah… My only real complaint about T129. Not enough space for truly, chunky rubber…

Cheers!
    I.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m running a Nobby Nik out back but had to re-dish the wheel to move it over a little and stop it running the drive side stay.

cokie

Timely thread! I slashed the side wall with flint today on my Conti 2.2 trail king rendering the tyre useless for tubeless. I had a Spec 2.3 Purgatory in the garage and trial fitted it. It fits in with zero mud clearance and I’m sure that if I press hard into a berm it’ll buzz.
    Time to find some new rubber.

scandal42
    Free Member

Conti wild grip’r fits nicely and is decent tubeless

northshorefiend

Any one tried plus size wheel/tyre? I’m 650b+ curious? (T-129 Works 2015)

I’ve run High Roller II 2.3 with the only problem being a bit of a pinch getting the wheel on to the drop outs. But once it is on, it is fine. I run Ardent 2.25 now, as I don’t like the side knob folding over feeling on the High Roller. Both TR EXO, tubeless.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T-129 – how wide a rear tyre will fit?’ is closed to new replies.