Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whyte s-150 “V2” what’s changed?
  • ianlovatt
    Free Member

Is there anything fundamental changed on the 2020 models?

I’m looking at the s version and I see there’s the slx groupset and a 200mm front rotor (which sounds welcome) but the fork from what I can work out is the same as the 2019 pike just described in rockshox “newspeak”

wors

Shimano groupset and pike ‘select’ fork. Don’t know what the difference is between that and the revelation on my 2019 version

ianlovatt
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply wors. I wondered why they’d put V2 against the 2020 bikes on the website but couldn’t find anything online to say anything massive had changed.

So do I hang on for a 2020 model or can I upgrade a 2018/19 model to be as good as a V2 2020 for the price difference? Seems like the RRP is now £2.5k but I’ve seen 2018/19 s-150s (in a large) going for £2k – £2.2k

The guide brakes on the 2018/19 seemed to get thumbs down from most people. The 4 pot brakes on the 2020 seem acceptable enough from this review
    https://off.road.cc/content/news/shimano-quietly-launch-new-cheap-4-piston-brakes-deore-br-mt520-brake-2702

but I can’t find out much else…

As for the fork I think a 2020 pike select might have a cheaper version of the charger damper that’s in the 2018/19’s revelation:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rockshox-reveals-2020-forks-and-shocks/

And then I can’t really work out whether the 2018/19’s rear shock:
    RockShox Deluxe R, DebonAir, Fast Black Coating, Adjustable Rebound and 2 Position Compression

is the same/better/worse than the 2020’s:
    RockShox Deluxe Select + RT, DebonAir, Fast Black Coating, Adjustable Rebound, 2 position compression adjustment

I’m not sure how the SLX groupset sizes up against the SRAM GX eagle

It seems like I might even be able to get a 2018/19 s-150 s and upgrade the brakes and sneak a charger 2.1 damper in the fork for the price of a 2020 and come out on top? Or have I totally missed something here?

Cheers for any advice,
    Ian

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I was nosying at these last week. From what I can tell the forks and shock will be practically the same. Both forks use IFP charger dampers.
    Gears are similar in range.
    Main difference looks to be the brakes although I don’t think the sram guide t were that badly thought of.

Deciding factor for me would be price as I don’t think there’s much in them.

Not sure how you will go on for stock though. Especially 2020 bikes. If you’re north wheelbase look to have a large 2020 at 15 percent off but it’s collection only at Stavely.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Above is for 2019 and 2020. Don’t think the brakes and forks are as good on the 2018. The rear tyre looks pretty poor too on the 2018.

ianlovatt
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip off about wheelbase. That could be handy to go and actually see one in the flesh as like you said stock seems a bit limited for 2020. Got to roll round LBS car park on a C RS version in a medium but soonest they’d have the S back in was predicted to be Feb.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Whyte s-150 “V2” what’s changed?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts