Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whyte S-150 sizing
  • richmtb

There are some really good deals right now on the Whyte S-150 and it looks like a great bike.

But I’m swithering over sizing.

I’m 5’7″ so should be a medium but the Whyte is about 2″ longer reach than pretty much any bike I’ve had.

So who has one and how have they found the sizing?

Ta

Rich

crouisk
    Free Member

just bought a S-150 V2 large last week
    i am 5’11”. tried the M and the L. both would have been fine but L felt better with the dropper down – more “in” the bike feeling – which is what LLS geometry is partially about. so i went L

dmck16
    Free Member

5’9″ on a Medium.

It felt spot on straight away despite being much longer than my old Five.

crouisk
    Free Member

been on three rides and its spot on what i was hoping for. cant wait till the trails dry up a bit

richmtb

@dmck16

How much seatpost have you got “spare” between the seat tube and dropper collar?

weeksy

Whytes sizing changed in 17 with LLS etc

I was on a large t130 at 6’0 and now a medium on a later G160

mildred

I’m 5’11” on a large – medium felt very small and I felt perched.

As much as the Whyte looks long on paper it feels very “normal” once on it. Certainly being on the correct size does create that “sat in” feel. If it helps my 18” 2016 Orange Alpine 160 Feels longer.

sailor74
    Free Member

my mrs is 5’7 and rides the medium. im 5’11 and ride a large G170….buy the medium.

submarined
    Free Member

I’d definitely try the M. I was dubious about trying a longer bike at first, but now I’ve ridden one for a few years I’m looking for one that’s longer still.
    So much more comfortable and confidence inspiring than my old one.

Whytes sizing changed in 17 with LLS etc

I was on a large t130 at 6’0 and now a medium on a later G160

That’s a bit of a misleading statement tbh.
    They didn’t change their sizing, they just made their bikes longer, For instance, the L 2019 T130 is only 13mm longer in reach than the 2016 L, but the seat angle is nearly 2 degrees steeper. Seat tube is exactly the same length. Their sizing range recommendations are still pretty much the same.

This is pretty much in line with what most other manufacturers have done.
    Obviously it’s down to personal choice, but most 6 footers would likely find themselves more comfortable on a large. I’m 5’10 on a bike with a near identical reach to yours.

timbog160

Haven’t got an S150 but have got a G170 and previously G160. I’ve been known to size up but on the more modern Whytes I’d stick to the recommended sizing. I’m 5’7” too and firmly on M and v happy with it…

richmtb

Thanks guys,

Next daft question:

Winstanley have the 2018 for £1900. Leisure Lakes have the 2019 for £2200. The main difference is on the newer bike the fork has the Charger damper rather than the more basic Motion Control. It also has a KS Lev instead of a Reverb.

Is this difference worth £300?

wors

Not sure, but i have the 2019 version and love it, and prefered the colour over the lighter blue 2018.

richmtb

prefered the colour over the lighter blue 2018.

Me too. But I’m not sure that counts as a good enough reason to spend an extra £300!

mildred

I got one of the light blue 2018 from leisure lakes then upgraded the fork by having them fit a debonair air spring & charger 2.1, which made it a similar price to the newer version (they didn’t have a large 2019 – deffo a nicer colour). I was also happy to have the “posher” Reverb.

However, 2 rides in and the reverb was creaking and groaning like mad, with about 1 cm side to side at the saddle tip and about 8mm up & down movement. The forks also feel very “lazy” too.

I’ve never really liked the feel of RS suspension; I feel they have too much high speed compression damping and I’ve experienced arm pump, which is something I’ve never had with my personal favourites Bos & Marzocchi. I particularly dislike MC damping and find it dead and lifeless. I’d hoped the changes I made would help the feel but if I’m honest they still feel over damped everywhere. It’s still early days and I’m hoping the over damped feel is down to the forks still being new & them not yet being bedded in.

If I were buying again I’d probably still buy the cheaper bike but not spend the extra on the damping & spring but maybe save up for some different forks altogether. I’ve swapped the rear shock for a CCDBinline coil, which is a world different to the deluxe rt.

richmtb

Thanks guys,

The more I think about it £300 not to have to use a Reverb seems like a great idea!

Better fork and brakes is just a bonus

argee

Similar height and had a 130, found it was ok sizewise except for a 150mm dropper, which was pretty much at the frame due to the weird shape of the seatube and brace, would go small if i ever get another one just to have a bit more ability to play with dropper posts.

richmtb

Just managed to find a 2019 Medium for £1,900

Should get it next week.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whyte S-150 sizing’ is closed to new replies.