Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Whyte G150 Works
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has anyone got a new works g150? how is it fairing? any issues, general thoughts would be appreciated, how does it climb and such? it looks a cracking deal for 4k spec wise and even has decent wheels on it too!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody got one?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

considering these are sold out everywhere surely some one must be have one?

give me some feedback folk 🙂

z1ppy

it is quite impressive (or depressive?) but maybe more to do with Whyte being a small company, so there “all sold out” may well be not that many units, compared to other larger manufacturers (same with the t-129, all sold out 2013/4, yet not ‘that’ many comments when you look).
    Whyte demo at Cannock, this weekend BTW.

iolo
    Free Member

Comparing that spec to the YT Industries Capra the Whyte really doen’t look like a bargain.

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bikes/Trail/Capra-CF-Pro

matther01
    Free Member

Had a look at one in the flesh at Brum bike show when I was considering lower spec one. Cabling around/underneath the bb looked less than desiring IMO

Candodavid
    Free Member

OP, did you sell the crossmax QR?

GolfChick
    Free Member

My best mate has just got a custom built Whyte G150 but not the works as those were sold out but he’s had it all specced and altered as he wanted anyways. He’s gone from an orange blood to this as he wanted something a bit lighter as he gets older and has gone for all sram so better gearing. He’s liking it so far no complaints at all. He’s fairly choosey on what bikes he likes the looks off and this one fit the bill and looks great so he stumped for it without trying it really!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers easy girl really appreciate that, do you have any more pics at all please (pretty please) ? Sounds like he’s liking it , looks like a decent Peak District type do it all bike glad to hear he’s liking it with no issues

Candodavid – nope sorry sold bud

Zippy probably is more so to do with small clmpany I expect your right still expected a few stwers to have one though, impressive spec then for a small company too

Does any know how much better if any the Suspension system will be compared to a single pivot?

I think it looks ace, under stated stealth like and it’s got pretty impressive wheels on for the cash too

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ill take some pics of it tomorrow in the carpark for cwm carn and post em up once we’re back.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Sorry no idea why I called you easygirl 😳 no pun intended golf chick apologies!

Thanks would love to hear from the guy who owns it to for a report

Look forward to the pics

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just a bump for any one who missed it

stevede
    Free Member

getonyourbike of this parish has one but he rides for Whyte so probably not impartial although i’m sure he’d give you his honest opinion. I have a mate with the cheaper model and apart from the tyres that it came with he absolutely loves it.

variflex
    Free Member

I know one of Whyte’s test riders who currently has a G150 with interesting spec. Raves about it!

Whyte’s builds are pretty good value for money (im currently riding a 829 and a 909) and due to the good reviews (T129S, 650b hardtails) a lot of their stock has sold out again this year. Agreed, they dont make shed loads, but it at least keeps residuals up where as the larger brands used to just saturate the market then offload at 30-40% off at the end of the year. What I have noticed in the last 12+ months is that even the larger brands arent building quite as many and the sales are no where as big as they were 2 years ago.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

id emailed getonyourbike, he gave me some feedback, he seems like an exceptional rider so was after a few normal peoples thoughts too 😆

cant get over the spec for the money, its incredible!

it does look pretty good geometry wise too which is of course pretty important

iolo
    Free Member

Is it really an amazing spec? Aluminium frame,Fox float 34 front and float x rear, X0 brakes and drivetrain.
    I’m sure this is an awsome bike but I can understand why people go for custom. Four grand for the Works is just crazy money.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Is it really an amazing spec? Aluminium frame,Fox float 34 front and float x rear, X0 brakes and drivetrain.
    I’m sure this is an awsome bike but I can understand why people go for custom. Four grand for the Works is just crazy money.

Agree the spec is rubbish compared to the YT Industries Capra Pro Which is a bit cheaper!!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

iolo – Member

not really sure what planet you are on, but what other bike (other than some random german company) comes close spec wise for 4k?

float x is £500 quid, pikes are £800, wheelset is £900 X01 drivetrain is £900 quid, not exactly what else other than yt industries you’ve seen with that sort of spec for the money?? if you have please do tell, im not buying some random german company bike with no test ride, and guessing the sizing etc

iolo
    Free Member

not exactly what else other than yt industries you’ve seen with that sort of spec for the money?? if you have please do tell, im not buying some random german company bike with no test ride, and guessing the sizing etc

I told you about YT. All other YT bikes have been really highly rated by all who ride them. You seem adamant that Whyte is for you. Buy one then and enjoy.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i appreciate there are some other bargains out there (canyon for example), but in this country with a test ride and a local shop to buy it from, i cant see anything close to £4k for the kit it has on it, i expect the frame will be fairly decent too mind rather than just a bunch of good kit thrown onto a shite frame

plus im not keen TBH on the lairyness of the YT, but enjoy it if you have one or thinking of getting one

matther01
    Free Member

Pikes arent £800…unless Whyte are charging that?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Here you go: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/65528/Marin_Mount_Vision_XM_Pro_Carbon_275Inch_2014_Bike

float x is £500 quid, forks are £650, carbon wheelset is £1000+ X01 drivetrain is £900 quid

Plus Carbon frame

A lot for £3999

GolfChick
    Free Member

my mate paid less than 4k and got pikes and a monarch rear shock plus hope and sram etc. Pics as promised.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks golfchick, really appreciate the pics! looks really quite nice and a bit understated (minus the blue bling hope stuff ha!)

would love to hear about any ride reports from folk too, there must be some body out there with one if they are all mostly sold out

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Yeh, I love mine. Great bike to ride- balanced and really capable. Get it on a decent track and it feels unstoppable. I tested the frame and wheels for strength today too. A flat landed huck onto a fire road while lent over going into a corner. Passed with flying colours- didn’t feel any flexing and everything is still perfectly straight and true.

The spec for the money is great, especially when you consider that you get support from a dealer and they’re based in the UK. Pikes, Float X, X01, X0 trail brakes, Reverb Stealth, SRAM Rail 50 wheels and 35mm Easton Havoc Carbon bars.

Just get in touch if you want to know anything else.

rumbler
    Free Member

Really nice bike, having come from a short travel 29er this really feels alive by comparison and has me going faster than I probably should. It made me realise that the 29er felt boring, I’m in the air far more and, as said, going much quicker.

Nicely understated too.

stumpytom
    Free Member

I have got the standard version and it is bloddy brilliant. Ok, it won’t win any climbing races but it will sit and spin fine and even if you stand up and mash the pedals there is very little bob.

When the trails start heading downhill it just comes alive, the Pikes are amazing and it is a very confidence inspiring ride. Really planted and even the standard version has a great spec for the money. Yes some mail order bikes may be cheaper but it is nice to have the option of taking it back to your LBS if there are any issues.

Have no real complaints and looking forward to taking it to the Apls this summer.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really good bike, size large for me, all the kit on it is top class, and it all works brilliantly together

not 100 % sure my float x is working as it should rebound seems a bit dodgy and the positioning of the adjustment for it is ridiculous and also mine had jammed (Which was causing a whooshing sound on descents), but again thats not the bikes fault at all

it flies up hill, it has very very little bob in climb mode (feels like a hardtail climbing compared to my five did) and everything runs great on it, x01, pikes etc etc

my cables from new were a little long (and shop didnt shorten them, so have rubbed on the pikes quite badly 🙁 )

other than that, touch wood ive had no issues at all, one month in and im absolutly loving it cannot fault it at all, its still hugely chuckable even in a large and just ploughs over stuff

i thought id be cutting the 800 havoc bars, but im absolutly in love with them, steering is so precise and even the x0 trail brakes i guessed id be binning straight away have been absolutly faultless so far and the most powerful brakes ive owned (xt, formula th1’s hope x2 etc)

the only thing ill change at some point is the cranks (alloy x01), wish theyd have come with carbon ones instead (but being picky)

other than that its a lot of bike for the money still compared to other brands around that price point (sure you could build something similar for the same price etc)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Whyte G150 Works’ is closed to new replies.